Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ A Single Flame ❯ A Commentary from the Ichihono ( Prologue )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Author's Notes: At the bottom, I have placed a bit of a reference section. It should explain what you need to know in each chapter. I'll post the basics on this one. Then, if they're referred to again or if there are more things, I will add those on at the bottom of the chapter they're in. This idea came to me in Graphics class today (I am currently skipping out on instruction time because I already know how to do this), so it's very…Odd.
 
Prologue
(A Commentary from the Ichihono)
 
Rather simply, I would like to comment that everything I do is based on several opinions and views. I have named the voices, but no, I am not crazy. Everything is done for a reason. Now, you'll learn about the voices as I go along with the story, but you needn't know for now.
 
So, who am I, you may ask? Well, that's a good question. I am often called the Guardian of the Nightly Gate. That's what I am, though. I consider myself to be highly important in the order of this city. Come to think of it, you don't know much at all about what goes on here, do you? Well, every night, a portal will open. I am in charge of making sure that the demons crossing through that portal don't make it far enough to cause trouble. I also make sure that the place stays unbothered.
 
Very few people can see these demons. I've found that some people who stay around me tend to get the gift to see them…Eventually. I have seven people who can see them, and I consider them my `council' at times. They go to school with me. Oh yeah, I forgot to mention…I am a sixteen-year-old student at Kyukon High School. Kyukon can be translated to `Nine Souls' from the Japanese language. Therefore, I assume that there is one more person needed in my council.
 
The school was built for my use. Apparently, all of the classes are centered around safety when dealing with the demons, but nobody (other than the council) knows who the chosen one is. They also don't know who the council is. They would be chosen by me…If they had the `gift'…But anyway, I swore my group to secrecy. Nobody would believe us anyway. I guess that's all I should say for now. I'll see you when the story begins!
 
Key Terms:
 
Kyukon: The name of the high school, which can be translated to `Nine Souls'.
Hachisasa: The given name of the `council', which can be translated to `Eight Assistants'.
Ichihono: The given name of the `chosen one', which can be translated to `One Flame'.
 
Kend: The main weapon used; a sword with a crimson hilt wrap and black blade. It's often in the same style and build of a Japanese katana, which is what Samurai used to use.
Santama: The uniform that is worn in the school and during the `missions'. It can be translated to `Three Jewels'.
 
Juban: The white under-shirt. It's worn like a house/bathing robe with a small tie in the front.
Kimono: The shirt that is actually showing. The sleeves are often large and it's normally tucked into the hakama.
Hakama: The large pants. Actually, they are very comfortable and very easy to move in unless they snag on something.
Obi: It could be considered a sash. It holds the hakama on and it ties in the front for easy access when changing is necessary.
Haori: It's considered a `jacket' and you wear it as such. It normally shows a higher standing and is often heavy material. Therefore, it is not a part of the standard uniform.
 
Set-Up of the Santama:
 
The Santama is considered strange. It is a Japanese Men's kimono. The juban is pulled on first. It's never decorated, though they come in different colors, which shows which year you are in the school. There are four years. White is the first year, light purple is second, light blue is third, and red is fourth. It is tied in the front and normally falls to mid-thigh. The kimono is pulled on over this. The kimono is black for the males and dark blue for the females. The next part of the uniform is the hakama. In both genders, they are black with a single red stripe going down on the front of the left leg. The obi is a vibrant red to match the stripe on the hakama. It is normally tied in the front. Finally, some people get to wear a black haori. These people are normally a part of the staff, or they are in the student government. Once the whole council is complete, they will be presented with gold haori as well, and the Ichihono will be presented with a black haori with silver and gold threading.