Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Abnormal ❯ Chapter Two ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Abnormal
-
Chapter 2
-
© 2009 Ohne Sie


My mom is a lawyer and my dad is a doctor, so there's a lot of pressure on me to be successful and get a good career. I mean, there's pressure, but it's not so bad. It's obvious that they want me to be successful, but they also want me to be happy. They just want to make sure I have the best life possible. That's what they always tell me. "Laurel, we don't care what you decide to do with your life, as long as you work hard and are happy doing it." Still, it's pretty obvious that they want me to follow in their footsteps. And as the only child, it is my responsibility to do that.

Despite my parents' careers, they always try to make time for me. Sure, I had a nanny when I was growing up, but she was only there to help my parents out. She wasn't a surrogate mother, like some kids have. My parents always put me ahead of their careers. And we always make sure to have dinner together as often as possible.

It makes me nervous, though, to have such a good relationship with my parents. Because one day they won't be here and--

"Laurel, I'm glad you're so caught up in your schoolwork, but you know the rules. There is no work allowed at the dinner table." My mother shot a look at my father, who was talking to a coworker on his cell phone. "That goes for you, too, George."

"Huh? Oh, sorry. Matt, I've got to go. You can take care of things without me. If you need me, call me in an hour." He hung up the phone and smiled sheepishly at my mother. "Sorry, Michelle."

"It's alright," Mom said as I dropped my notebook on the ground. I figured I could write more later. "How was school, honey?" she asked, sitting down to eat.

I picked up my fork, twirling spaghetti around it. "It was okay. My English teacher assigned us these journals to write in. We're supposed to record our thoughts and fill them up by the end of the semester."

"Sounds like she's going to have to do a lot of reading," Dad said, taking a bite of his spaghetti.

"Well, she's not going to actually read them," I said.

"What a strange assignment," Mom said. "How can she guarantee that the students will write in them?"

"Well, she said we're on the honor system. We're supposed to tell her if we wrote in them at the end of the semester. If we say yes, we get an A for that assignment."

Dad frowned. "What's keeping you kids from lying?"

"Nothing," I said. "But I like the idea, so I'm definitely doing it."

"It's probably good to write down the thoughts you don't want anyone else to know. It sounds like a good project. It's not getting in the way of your other assignments, is it?" Mom asked.

"No, I just do it in my spare time." I smiled weakly, suddenly feeling very guilty about skipping my chemistry class earlier.

"How are you doing in chemistry?" Dad asked. I almost choked on a noodle. I took a sip of my juice before answering.

"Well," I said. "But lately Mrs. Louis has just been showing movies that have no relevance to the class."

Dad frowned. "That's not good. What kind of movies?"

"Little kid movies. Like the Lion King. She showed that yesterday."

"Why is she showing those?" Mom asked.

I shrugged. "She said it's because we're ahead of schedule. The other classes are a week behind us, and we're not supposed to start the next lesson until they catch up."

"That doesn't sound very fair to your class," Dad said. "Maybe I should have a talk with her."

"No, Dad, it's okay."

"Honey, let it go. If you make a big fuss over it, they might fire the teacher, and who knows how long it would take to find a new one?" Mom winked at me, obviously realizing the impact having my dad tell my teacher to teach us more would have on my social status.

"You're probably right, dear," Dad admitted. "How are your other classes going?"

"Well, I have an A in calculus. I'm tutoring Leslie in it, also."

"Oh, really? She's not doing well?" Mom asked. "I thought she was a bright girl."

"She is, but she's..." I frowned. "She just doesn't care too much."

"That's a shame," Dad said. "But at least you're helping her. So you're doing well in English, calculus, and chemistry. What other class do you have?"

"History," I said. "I'm not too sure about that one. I've either got an A or a high B." I quickly added, after seeing a flash of disappointment on my father's face, "But we just had a test and I'm sure I got an A on it!"

He smiled. "I'm sure you did, Laurel." His face was serious now. "I just want you to know that I don't mean to put all this pressure on you..."

"I know, Daddy."

"But if you get good grades, you can get into better colleges. And then you can do whatever you want to do."

"I know, Daddy."

"I just want you to be happy."

"Thank you, Daddy." I smiled, twirling some more spaghetti around my fork. "So...Mom...?"

"Yes, Laurel?" she asked.

"I was wondering...could you take me to the mall?" It was still early, and I knew that Leslie and the others would still be there until it closed.

"Well..." Mom paused. "Who are you meeting there?"

"Leslie, Kristin, Jen, and Sarah," I said.

"Will boys be there?"

I shrugged. "Not that I know of, but we are talking about Leslie, Kristin, Jen, and Sarah, here. Especially Leslie and Sarah."

Mom nodded. "I suppose I can drop you off. But I'll be back to pick you up around seven-thirty. You have to promise that you'll meet me out front at exactly seven-thirty."

"I promise," I said, smiling. "Thanks, Mom."

"You're welcome."

"I don't want to hear about you wandering off with some boy," Dad said.

"I won't, Dad. I promise," I said. "I'll be a good girl and stay with the group."

"As long as we're clear on that."

We finished dinner, and I ran upstairs to get ready to go to the mall. I shoved my wallet into my purse and decided to write some more in my notebook, while my mom was getting ready to go.

Because one day they won't be here and I know I'll miss them like crazy. I love my parents so much. I hope that I don't sense their deaths one day, and be unable to stop them.

But I don't want to think about that yet. I'm sure they have a long time left. I'm only a teenager, after all. And they're both perfectly healthy.


"Laurel!" My mom had apparently finished getting ready.

"Coming!" I called, closing the notebook and shoving it into my purse beside my wallet. I ran down the stairs, kissed my dad goodbye, and headed out to the car with my mom.

The car ride was spent listening to my mom tell me exactly what I was and was not to do at the mall. I could talk to boys, but I could not go off alone with them. I had to stay with Leslie at all times, because she was flighty, and her mother depended on me to keep an eye on her. I could spend up to fifty dollars, but no more, because the rest of my money was supposed to go into a savings account to save up for a car once I got my license. I knew this already. It was the same thing she always told me. But I didn't mind hearing it one more time. My parents were overprotective, but I loved them anyway.

When we pulled up to the front of the mall, Leslie ran toward the car, her arms flailing wildly. "Laurel!" she shrieked, attacking me with a hug as soon as I'd opened the door. "You made it!"

The other girls hung back, standing on the sidewalk. "Hi, Mrs. Miller," Sarah said, flashing a smile. She was always trying to suck up to everyone's parents. Most of them bought her "good girl" act. My mom never had, though. She made a career of seeing through people's lies.

"Hello, Sarah," she said, waving. "I'm sure you've been on your best behavior, right?"

"Of course," Sarah said. "And don't worry, we'll take good care of Laurel."

My mom glanced at me uncertainly, and I laughed. "Mom, really. I've been to the mall before."

Mom nodded. "Seven-thirty, remember." She looked at Leslie. "Your mother asked me to give you a ride home later."

Leslie's face fell. "But...that's so early!"

Mom shrugged. "We both decided that it was a reasonable time for you to be home. Besides, I'm sure you haven't had a chance to do your homework, yet. So meet me out here at seven-thirty. Got it?"

Leslie sighed. "Yes, ma'am," she said, sulking. "At least we have a few hours, anyway," she mumbled, walking past me to the other girls.

"Have fun, sweetie," Mom said, hugging me as I leaned over the passenger seat of the car.

"I will, Mom. Thank you." I waved as she drove off, and turned to the rest of the group.

"'Have fun, sweetie,'" Sarah teased me. Kristin giggled.

I rolled my eyes. "Yeah, okay. You're the one who's always sucking up to everyone's parents."

Sarah laughed. "Yeah, true." She led us into the mall. "Okay, so I have to tell you, Laurel, your mom is not going to be happy with us."

"Why?" I asked.

"Because we've been very naughty girls. We've been making out with boys all afternoon."

I raised an eyebrow. "No way," I said, sarcastically. "Not you."

"Yeah, whatever." She laughed. "I'll bet you'll never guess who I've been with all afternoon."

Judging from Leslie's pout, I guessed. "Justin?"

Sarah turned around. "Well...actually, yeah. He's with the other guys right now, in Gamestop." She rolled her eyes. "Boys and video games."

"What other guys tagged along, besides Justin?" I asked.

"Trent, Hunter, and Jeremy," Jen said.

"And some new kid named Quinn," Kristin added.

"He's really quiet, though," Leslie said. "Apparently he's Hunter's cousin or something."

Jen tossed the cup of coda she had been holding into a trash can. "Guys, I have to go to the bathroom."

"Then go," Sarah said.

"I don't want to go alone!" Jen said, appalled.

"Fine," Sarah said, rolling her eyes. "Anyone else have to go?" she asked.

"I do," Kristin admitted.

"Okay, then let's go to the bathroom." I looked at Leslie.

"Actually, I really need to go to the bookstore and get something. Leslie, do you want to come with me?" I looked at Sarah. "We can meet you someplace afterward."

"Yeah, sure. Let's meet at the fountain," she said, following Kristin and Jen to the bathroom. Leslie walked with me to the bookstore.

"What do you need to buy?" she asked.

"Nothing," I admitted. "I just don't want to look like a total nerd in front of them, because I want to write something down."

Leslie laughed as we sat down on the sofa in the bookstore. "But you don't mind doing it in front of me?" I was too busy writing to respond. "Fine, I'm going to look in the music section. I'll be back," she said.


It seems so weird, being part of the "popular" crowd. I don't feel like I really fit in. Leslie does, and I think that's why I'm here, but I always feel like someone is going to discover that I'm just pretending, that I'm not really as confident as I seem. Or worse, they'll discover that I'm a freak. It's not like high school popularity matters in the long run, anyway, because once you leave, and go to work, or college, you never see these people again. So I wonder why I care so much about it.


I was trying to think about what else to write, when a voice interrupted my thoughts. "Miss Prince's English class? Man, I didn't think anyone else was actually doing that thing."

I quickly closed the book, hoping he hadn't seen anything. I looked up into the most beautiful bright blue eyes I'd ever seen. I was speechless.

"Sorry I startled you," he said. "I just saw you writing, and I thought..."

"No, it's okay. You were right. It is for Miss Prince's class. I don't remember seeing you in it, though."

"Well, I'm new. I saw you, though. You were probably too busy paying attention to notice. Fortunately she didn't do that whole 'Introduce the new student to the whole class' thing."

"Oh!" I said, realizing who he must be. "You're Quinn, right?"

He nodded. "And you are...?"

"Laurel," I said. "I'm here with my friends...who are apparently here with your friends." I frowned. "They said you were quiet, though."

He laughed uncomfortably. "No offense to your friends, or my cousin's friends, but they're not really...my kind of people."

I smiled. "I can see how that could be the case. To tell you the truth, I have doubts sometimes, too, about most of them." I saw Leslie heading toward us and I waved.

She grinned, bouncing toward us. "Hey, you met the new guy...Quinn, right?" He nodded. "Anyway, Laurel, it's been like ten minutes. We should get to the fountain. Sarah's probably waiting to kill us."

I winced. "Yeah, probably." I looked at Quinn. "Are you meeting up with your cousin?"

He nodded. "No, actually, I think I'm going to leave soon. I have a lot of work to catch up on. New school and all."

"Right," I said, smiling. "I'll talk to you later, then?"

"Oh, definitely," he said, smiling back. "Later."

As he walked in one direction and Leslie and I walked in the other, I could just feel Leslie bursting with comments. I sighed. "Go ahead," I said.

"You liiike him," she said, giggling. "Aww...did my little Laurel find another bookworm just like her?"

I rolled my eyes. "Do I act this way toward you when you have a crush?"

"Uh, yeah," she said. "Duh."

I couldn't help but smile. She was right. I had already developed a crush on him, even if it had only been a five-minute conversation. I knew I was a loser for thinking it, but I couldn't wait to write it down in my journal.