Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Ai no Natsu ❯ Vol. 2, Chap. 9: Cowboy ( Chapter 9 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Cowboy
He came from the west. The wild west. The cowboy came to the Day Camp that morning. Hallie worked the desk at the moment.
“Excuse me,” he said. The tomboy didn't look up at first.
“Excuse me!” he repeated. No answer. Finally, he slammed the table. Hallie rolled her eyes and looked up.
“What?” she asked. He stepped back at bit.
“I'm here to apply for a job,” he said. Hallie had never seen teeth so white before. His accent both assaulted and flirted with her ears. Hallie's cheeks turned red.
“S-Sure,” she said. She handed him the form.
“Thanks,” he said. The cowboy reached in his pocket for a pen.
“Darn it,” he mumbled. Hallie looked on at him.
“Problem?” she asked.
“I can't seem to find my pen.”
“Here, hang on.” Hallie reached over to the yellow pencil cup and pulled out a fresh pen.
“Here.”
“Thanks.” The boy began to fill out his form. Hallie's eyes traced the pen as he wrote.
“So, what's your name?”
“Dustin.”
“Dustin…”
“That's me.”
“So where are you from?”
“Texas.”
“Is that so?”
“Yes, miss.” Dustin looked up to see Hallie's cheeks turning a sweet pink. He blinked at her with a curious look on his face.
“Miss?” he asked. “Miss? Miss?” He waved his hand in front of her face. No response. He looked at her name tag.
“Hallie?” he asked. “Hallie? Hallie? Hallie?” Dustin poked her on the arm.
“Hey,” he said.”Hey. Hey!” Hallie returned to reality in a jump. SMACK! One punch and down. Hallie rushed over to him, knocking over her chair.
“Oh shit!” she cried. “Are you okay?” Dustin groaned as he rubbed his nose.
“No,” he wailed. “That hurt! What the hell?!?” Hallie looked away sheepishly.
“My bad,” she said. “It's a reflex.”
“A reflex?!?”
Hallie nodded. “I don't like being poked. Bad memories.” She bit her lower lip. “You finished the apply?”
“Yes!” Dustin wailed. He handed her his application.
“Right,” she said. “I'll take this with me.” Hallie took the application and hurried off. She giggled in her mind.
He is kind of cute, the tomboy thought. Hallie paused. But so is Hal… Oh! Her face brightened a heavier red. She stumbled back in tiny steps.
I need to sit down, the tomboy thought. After I gave this to auntie. With that, Hallie raced down the hall.
Butane in My Veins