Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Ai no Natsu ❯ Vol. 7, Chap. 41: I, I, You, and Love ( Chapter 41 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

I, I, You and Love

The girl in white looked up at the sound of her name.

“Dustin?” she asked. Hallie looked between the pair, frowning.

“Who the hell is this?” she asked. Dustin wandered over to the angelic girl in white.

“Serena? Is that really you?” he asked.

“Yes,” the girl answered.

“W-W-When did you get back to Japan?” the cowboy asked. The other tenants tried to read the atmosphere between them.

“I'm confused,” Sadao said. “What exactly is that girl's relationship to Dustin?”

“No idea,” Hal replied.

“They seem close,” Wong added. His hand pressed against the colored glass.

Heather titled her head. “Do you think… she's his ex-girlfriend?” All eyes fell upon her. She shrugged her shoulders.

“It's possible,” Heather suggested. The others turned back to the couple on the couch. Dustin shuffled his feet.

“About a day ago,” the girl replied. Dustin narrowed his eyes at her.

“Excuse me?” he asked.

“I came back to Japan a day ago,” Serena repeated. The information took seconds to reach Dustin's brain.

“Oh,” he said. “Oh, I see.” He nodded with a nervous chuckle. “Wow, it's been so long, hasn't it?”

“Yes, it has.”

Hallie gritted her teeth. “Excuse me!” The couple looked up. Serena blinked at her.

“Oh and who are you?” she asked. The tomboy's face turned bright red.

“Serena, this is…” Dustin spoke up. His mind went blank. “Um… uh… uh…”

Hallie stomped her foot. “Hallie!” Ill silence cast all over the room. The other tenants began whispering already.

“Oh, that ain't cool,” Reggie whispered.

“He forgot her name!” Heather gasped. Choko clapped her hands together.

“Okay!” she said aloud. “Anybody hungry?” All eyes fell upon her. The manager only laughed nervously. Oh boy…

--------

The cafeteria added to the awkward discomfort. Nobody said a word. Choko lowered her chopsticks.

“So… how's the shabu shabu?” she asked. No one lifted their heads. They didn't even seem to be eating.

“Why are we eating a hot pot?” Evie asked.

“Pardon?” Choko asked. The snobby blonde put down her chopsticks.

“It's summer,” she pointed out.

“So?” Choko asked.

“Don't you eat hot pot in the winter?”

“Well, I decided to try something a little different today.” The manager could tell that no one was buying her explanation. “Uh… is there any more pork belly?”

“That's another thing,” Evie spoke up. “Why pork belly? Where's the beef?”

Choko tried to maintain her stress. “Couldn't get the last one.”

“Shut up, Evie!” Hallie hissed. Her rival gave her the stink eye.

“No,” she said. “I'll talk if I want to!”

“You're just complaining to hear yourself talk.”

“I'm not complaining.”

“Yes, you are! If you don't like it, don't eat it!”

“I'll eat it if I want!”

“Then shut up!”

“Stop it!” Heather shouted. The other girls grew quiet. She took in a deep breath.

“Is there any more pork belly?” Choko asked. Sadao handed her the saucer.

“Thank you,” the manager said. She dipped it into the pot.

“So,” Hal spoke up. “Where are you from Serena?” The girl in white lowered her chopsticks.

“Texas,” she answered. Her sweet tea-flavored accent made Hallie want to slap her.

“That far?” Hal asked.

“What brings you to Japan?” Sadao asked.

“I'm visiting my grandmother,” Serena answered. Of course you are, Hallie thought. However, Wong just had to make it worse for the tomboy.

“How do you know Dustin here?” he asked. Hallie glared at the cowboy. Serena broke into a huge smile.

“He's my darling!” she said. Jaw dropped all around the table.

“What?!” everyone shouted. Dustin lowered his head, red-faced.

“Not really,” he mumbled. Hallie could burn a hold in the cowboy's head right now. Serena giggled. The sound made the tomboy want to scream.

“Aw, honey!” the angelic girl said. “You don't have to be so modest about us.” The cowboy looked like he wanted to run away. Conversation pretty much died on the table. However, Hallie's war with the angel would really get under way in five… four… three… two…

She's the Sister of Avarice