Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Bell ❯ Chapter 1 ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]


 
Chapter One
The Sol's heat pounded on the back of his neck and prickled his skin beneath the fur, but he paid it no heed.
The concrete-rock below was almost hot enough to scorch his paws to black, were it not that they were black already. Even so, years of constant abuse in the Sol had given them a thick layer of padding, the heat was of no concern.
A single black furred paw came up and unfastened a clamp on a pair of small golden bells that sparkled at the person's waist from the Sol's rays above his head.
As the paw moved away, the bells jingled a little in the movement.
The fur's breathing seemed none existent, but it was assuredly there, albeit small and inaudible to those gifted of even the keenest ear.
There was little wind to throw his motion, and the area was clear of most possible hindrances. A perfect moment.
The fur's eyes narrowed, he shifted his weight and leapt.
There was a moment of stillness.
The blade was out.
It glinted in the Sol's light.
The ring of the bells sounded out.
Body and blade struck simultaneously.
Blade at neck, body at back.
There was little blood from the wound, it was a clean kill.
*
 
*
“Who be this man that goads my anger by such an act as this?” The Valaderian asked his Informer.
“We no not his true identity, sir. But we have laid bare to the name of which he is known.”
“Tell me such a name! I wish to engrave it upon the blade that would cut his beating heart from his chest the instance my grasp is upon him!” The Valaderian spat.
It be a simple one with a simple origin. Common in sentence but rare in name. It is as so; Bell.” The informer replied.
The Valaderian paced back and fourth along the grey stoned flooring.
He was a large man, the Valaderian. Of dog in kind, mutt in breed. He had dark brown fur with uneven highlights of gold; his eyes were also of brown. While being large, he was neither powerful nor intimidating in stature. It were only his position of council that struck fear in the hearts of those on his lawn. For his lawn was the city.
The Valaderian was a man that possessed great power in the city of Hecentr. He could not make laws, but it was by his will what form of chastisement would be taken for breaking them.
He was large and fat. He constantly wore the orthodox creed in which all Valaderian's of the Hylgor cities did; a deep red and jet black. It was customary for the red to be woven from Ka silk.
The Valaderian was a man that was easy to cross, quick to judge, and cowardice in the face of danger. He revelled in the power that had been bestowed upon him by the Custodian Church.
His office, which was were he currently occupied himself with the repetitive task of pacing up and down, was a small room at the highest part of the Celestial Knoant.
It was large with stone grey floors, walls and ceilings. Three windows presented a view of the grand city of Hecentr. Concrete spires and flat roofs were laid bare for his view.
The window's position denied him any view of the City markets, but that had been quite the appeal to him. He had neither care nor want in regard as to the viewing of lower individuals than he.
The walls of his office were layered with shelves of books, all of little appeal yet still high in worth.
A table of dark Mabran Oak lay in the middle of the room. It's current occupancy was that of several sheets of parchment, an ink vessel, and a pot in which several quills were being kept.
A large assortment of stairs, known as the Calke, were the only paving in which to gain access to these quarters, and few individuals were allowed even in the Knoant itself, let alone up the Calke; and those that did make their way up those steps either, had an appointment, were called, were important, or soon to be dead.
The Valaderian was talking to his Informer. The Informer was a man of many contacts. It was by his eyes and ears information of such city doings reached the Valaderian's person. The Informer was also of dog kind, but unlike that of the Valaderian, he was of pure breed, a Doberman.
Though even with his powerful jaws he coward in the face of the Valaderian, for he knew not to cross such a man of his influence.
He was also not a man to be crossed, as the Informer was the kind of man that could make an individual disappear, and for those that remember that individual, to suddenly have a case of amnesia whenever the subject of said individual was arisen. He was dangerous.
“'Bell' you say.” The Valaderian began. “A name usually associated with that of woman kind. Though, I dare say, such a thing as a female culprit would be preposterous to even set within my mind, yet it is an idea that quickens my heart with dread. The idea that a woman be responsible for her own actions, and that of murder more so, stead's the blood within my veins.” He stopped his pacing and looked at his Informer.
“I assure you, sir, such a fear has no truth within it. Bell be a man. One of great skill, but a man nonetheless.”
“And what a man of bravado to do such an act as to inhume a member of the senate, within his own court no less.” The Valaderian ran a plump paw through the fur atop his head and began to rub his temples. “You said there be an origin to the name in which he his known? Tell me of this.”
“It be said, among the slums, that the name `Bell' derives from the final sound that the victims of this man hears before they are within his grasp. He wears such golden bells on his waist and rings them moments before he strikes.”
The Valaderian looked with a face of disbelief.
“Impossible. Such an audacious act would certainly give away the position of his persons. What kind of man operates in such a way as to give away his location the moment before he strikes? It is dim. How can such a man delude us in his current position when the very bells he wears tell us his very setting? Are our guards and men that incompetent?”
“Our guards and men are more than competent; it is merely his skill that allows him to be swift of us when we are near. It seems he is able to hide the song of his bells at any point that he choose. My belief in the reason in which he delivers his blows after a chime, is as so; That the jingle is a form of signature for him. A calling if you will.
“A signature. A calling. The arrogance! How dare a man like this- no…not a man -a devil such as this find his way into my dear city? I shall not allow it.” The Valaderian pounded a single clenched paw onto the dark table in anger. “My dear Informer, I wish you to take word and heed to the main guards of my city. They are to seek out this Bell and arrest him. I do not wish him to come to any harm; I would like him stripped bare of his garments and tied to the posts of my bed, where he will await a personal punishment delivered by my paw and body. I shall make him scream his pain till the very walls of this building crumble at its resonance. And then I shall parade him through Hecentr for all to see his broken body and soul. And in front of men, whores and children alike I shall slay him with said dagger of named kind! Ear-to-ear I shall cut! And I shall let it be a lesson to all those that dare commit such a crime again in my city of Hecentr! I SHALL HAVE ORDER!” His eyes were furious as they glared at the Informer, though the Doberman was thankful that the Valaderian's fury was not as a result of his doing.
“Go! Send word to search the city!” The Valaderian barked.
“Of course, sir.” The Informer bowed gracefully and marched out of the Sultan Oak door.
*
 
*
There was no need for hiding.
They would never find him.
Theoni Kidon, for that was his name, had been laying in his bed chamber for a day now. His equipment and special garments were currently placed in a neat pile on top a small stool.
Theoni was not a boy. He was a man. He was 26 years of age and about 5ft 6''. Yes he was small, but this came to an advantage. His body was light and lithe.
Theoni was of fox kind. Though not the of the usual.
Theoni was a member of Dark Aumento. They were a division within the Assassin's Guild.
The Assassin's Guild was the one of the most feared Guilds within the city. For years the Valaderian had been trying to hunt down their location. But he would never find it. After all, how could he ever expect that the Guild of Assassins, or the `Krutz' as it is known in the slums, lay right beneath his feet.
Ancient catacombs, long forgotten, were buried beneath the city. The Guilds knew of these, and they took advantage of them.
There Guilds were thrice in number.
`The Guild of Thieves' - This Guild is run by a man known as Irrond Jfmenté. He is a powerful man and is one of the few feline kind in authority. The Guild of Thieves is solely of a feline order. On the streets they are known as the `Gynda'. The name derives from the ancient language of `Setyk'; it means `Noble Shadow'. For the Thieves only ever take from the rich, and with the money they help those of the streets in discretion.
`The Guild of Magick' - This Guild is known as nothing more than a fool. It is run by a single man that believes himself the power of the world. His name is Maccus Undil. He is a man of great power and even greater vanity. The Guild is not so must a Guild, as it is a school of sorcery. Within it's walls, students with the potential learn the ways of Alchemy and Magick. Of course, such things are prohibited within the city. The Guild is of solely wolf kind. In the street they are known by the Setyk word of `Flmond', which means `Power Bearer'.
`The Guild of Assassins' - This Guild holds the most credence among the population. They are feared for their skill and tales of their legends. They are exclusively a fox Guild. They are run by a man without name. He is not known by any but the highest ranks within the Guild, and among the populace of the streets, he is not known at all. To those that do know him, he is named `Father Irak'.
All of the Guild's shared the catacombs, for the tunnels were more than large enough. Their territories were kept Guarded at all times. It was forbidden for any one to enter each others domain, for fear that if they did, they would die a horrible and painful death.
Feuds were common between them. The Assassin's hated the Thieves. The Thieves despised the Assassin's. And they both reviled the Magick's. Enough that, should the Guild of Magick's attack either one, one would come to the others aid and a form of truce would be endured until the Magick's were driven back.
Theoni belonged to the Assassin's Guild. Or more accurately, a faction within the Assassin's Guild.
The factions name was `Dark Aumento'. It was a special branch and very high in the rankings.
Theoni bore the main trait that set him as a member of the Dark Aumento.
Furs all around were of stereotypical kind in look. Tigers and Lions were yellow/orange, Fox's were a range of red and light browns.
Theoni was a fox, but instead of read fur. He had black.
The Dark Aumento were a special branch created as a form of elite within the guild. The Assassin creed and way of life was generally passed down from father to son. Entire families were adopted into the order. But there was a defect with certain children when they were born. This defect was known as the Shadow Chrom.
Those born with the Shadow Chrom were born with black fur. The condition was rare. And the Assassin Guild trained these children wherever possible. They made the best night assassin's.
Theoni was one of them. He had black fur from head to toe. The only white fur on his body stretched from his stomach to underneath his jaw. It also appeared he had a single white patch of fur covering his right eye.
The clothes he wore were jet black. The Guild had advised against this as the students were taught to find out for themselves which colour robes suited their individual styles of assassination. The Guild had advised against Theoni's use of black robes because many of his victims must be taken out in the day. And it could get very bright in the hot days.
But Theoni hadn't listened. His robs suited him fine. They were merely worried he'd be caught and easily seen. But Theoni's was never caught. He was never seen. He was always perfect.
Rumours of his abilities and the knowledge of his alias had only appeared after he himself set word within people's ears. He wanted the fear. He wanted the recognition. So that in the moment in which he were eventually caught, for he knew he would be eventually (he was not so vain as to think he could remain a shadow forever), he would be able to catch them off guard as they hesitated in fear. For fear they would feel.
News of his skill would reach the ears of every being in the world if he but had the ability to make it so. But he did not.
Theoni's weapons were custom made to his abilities and preferences.
A special hidden blade had been designed by himself and created by a blacksmith he knew. A strap was to be placed on his wrist and the blade came across his palm and three inches past his fingers.
It was designed so that he merely needed to held his middle and index finger together and the blade would swiftly slide out past them.
To on lookers it looked as though he had poked guards and individuals with two fingers. Until they saw the blood. That is, if anyone caught him at all.
His other weapons included his sword. It was of Scimitar style and strapped to his back and he had a backup blade in his boots and a dagger at his thigh.
The door opposite him opened up and a young fox-servant walked in.
“The Father wishes to speak with you, Theoni. Please come at once.” The fox asked.
Theoni turned to him with a slight glare.
“I shall do as thy father wishes, but please, next time you are in need of speech to my ears within this room, honour my privacy and nock thrice before you enter.”
The servant shook his head and sighed.
“You should know by now that such commodities of privacy are not within the Guilds curriculum. I shall call upon you when I am asked to call upon you, and you privacy will not be of any concern. You have but three minutes.” The Servant said. He walked out briskly leaving Theoni rather irritated at him.
`I shall have my privacy, even if I have to inhume that Servant to attain it.' Theoni thought through gritted teeth.
It had always been like this. A Servant had raised Theoni's blood to a boil, Theoni had promised revenge, and he never went through it.
Theoni killed for the city. He killed for the father. Every week there was a different target. So many throughout his career. Yet he could never kill out of anger or vengeance.
It was not who he was.
Theoni walked out.
~*~