Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Blood Sister-Revised ❯ The Parting of Ways ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Scroll I-The Parting of the Ways
 
Under cover of darkness two figures slipped from the palace. In their arms slept two newborns that no one would notice were missing until it was too late. Their mother slept soundly in the room next to the room where they should have been attended by a nursemaid and protected by the best guards their father had in his command. Their room, however, was silent and the walls splashed with drying blood.
When their father discovered their disappearance, he would rouse his full guard and set about a search party that he himself would lead. He would reach out to the other races to help find his daughters, but no one would be able to help him. No one would know that they had been stolen by the vampires, to be raised as fodder for the plan of their master. Until that time that the elven king discovered their disappearance, his palace slept peacefully and unaware of the danger.
Six years would pass before any sign of them would surface in a forest not far from the capital of Arania, territory of the dragons. The girls had grown strong in their short time with the vampires. It seemed that the eldest had taken to their captivity with more ease than the younger. Despite their differences they were very close.
They moved frequently, staying for only short periods of time in one place or another. The girls never had any contact with other children their own age and they were forbidden to wander without supervision. Of course, what was a stupid rule to a pair of mischievous six year olds? One morning The elder sister pulled the younger aside and whispered in her ear. Laughing, they snuck into the lightening shadows of the trees as the sun rose slowly over the mountain tops.
As silently as a snow leopard stalking its prey, they gathered as many pinecones as possible before they trekked back to camp where the unsuspecting vampires lay sleeping. It was a little known fact that a small number of vampires were susceptible to hallucinations when crushed pinecones were added to their meals. That fact, however, was just one of the many that the girls were privy to after having been raised by such vampires, unfortunately for their caretakers.
Once they were sure that all the vampires were asleep, they stole a few supplies and set to work. After a long hour of grueling but strangely satisfying work, the girls stepped back from the bubbling pot of stew and shared identical wicked grins. Then they added the newest ingredient to the “breakfast” that the vampires had prepared for themselves before turning in for the night and put everything back the way they had found it before turning in themselves.
Anticipation made it hard to fall asleep and for the longest time, both girls lay curled in the ever lengthening shadows of the forest trees as they tried unsuccessfully to sleep. Every time one would drift off, the other's suppressed giggle would jerk them back into consciousness. Near high noon, both girls finally managed to drop into a fitful doze only to be awakened several hours later by howls of misery.
It was too much. As the girls collapsed into fits of laughter, they never noticed the man storming across the clearing. He grasped them both by the shirts and shook them violently. "You little brats! What is the meaning of this?" Of course, it was impossible to take him seriously with a bright pink rash spreading across his face.
The youngest was still shrieking with laughter when his hands shot out and snatched her roughly from the ground. She giggled all the more as she noticed that the rash was visible from under his sleeves. The laughter was cut short when he began to shake her in anger. "I'll teach you to mess with us, brat!" he snarled, throwing her against a far tree. She hit the tree hard and fell to the ground, curling into a ball. A soft whimper escaped her lips as the vampire began to stalk towards her.
Closing her eyes tight, she waited for the first blow to fall, but it never came. There was a soft rushing of air that passed over her before a blood curdling scream split the air. Something warm and sticky splashed across her face and arms as someone laughed. "Come on, guys!" an unfamiliar male voice called. "First one to twenty wins! Leave the children be."
The older girl grasped her sister's hand and pulled. She knew they had to get away. Who were these creatures? Why were they killing all of the vampires? Every fiber of her being screamed 'danger', but she didn't want to run off alone.
As her sister pulled her to her feet, a dark shape took form before them. Blood red wings framed a lean body. He looked at them through gold eyes flecked with gold, his light brown hair falling messily about his face as he considered them. His eyes flicked to the other four dragons that happily chasing after the fleeing vampires. A sharp command from him brought them up short and all eyes turned to him."Return," he said sharply.
They dropped their prey to slink back to their leader, their wings folded close to their bodies. The younger girl grabbed her sister's arm and forced her to stop. Her eyes fixed on the lead dragon and she watched in facination as his wings spread a little. Despite the blood that covered most of the group, she felt no immediate danger.
Ignoring his subordinates for the moment, he crouched down to their eye level and rested his forearms on his thighs. "What are your names?" he asked.
The older sister's eyes narrowed and she pulled her sister behind her defensively. "We don't have names," she said as bravely as she could.
The younger girl pulled free of her sister's grasp and trotted around her. "The vampires call us 'Brat One' and 'Brat Two,'" she volunteered with a shy smile. "I'm Brat Two. Who are you?"
The dragon grinned as he answered, "Jeremy."
She blinked in confusion and tilted her head to the side in a quizzical manner. "What's that mean?" she asked.
"It's what people call me when they want my attention," he said gently. "May I ask why the two of you are traveling with vampires? Do you not have any human family or are you..." Here he paused and grimaced before continuing, "...or are you their feeding hosts?"
"It's not like that!" the older one snapped. "They said we're important! They never touched us!" Her face was red from shouting. "Why are you hurting them? Why are you here?"
An elegant eyebrow arched above the other as a slow smile touched his lips. "Dragons and vampires bear each other's race no love. If we hadn't attacked them and forced them to scatter, they would have attacked us. That's how it's been for generations," he answered. "As to why we are here, we've been...traveling and ended up here for the night. Now, why are the two of you important to the vampires?"
The older girl pouted. "Like I'd tell you, even if I knew." She tugged on her sister's sleeve. "Don't talk to him. He's strange. Let's go, please."
Surprise flashed across the younger child's face. She hadn't thought he was strange in the least. In fact, she had felt a strange affinity for the older male, a sort of connection that made her want to linger for a while longer. Before she could say as much, though, the four dragons behind them moved a little until they blocked any route of escape.
Jeremy stood and flicked invisible dust from his clothes. "I'm afraid that I can't let you wander off at this time of night. The nearest establishment was decimated by the vampires last night or the night before and there's too many wild animals about for the two of you to be safe by yourselves," he said. "So, you'll stay with us tonight and you can leave in the morning if you still want to go."
The older girl sat down heavily and wrapped her arms around her legs. "Fine. But I want to know what happened to Boss."
A frown momentarily creased his lips. His gaze flicked to the darker skinned dragon standing beside the younger girl and then back to the older sister. "Was he the first one that was attacked?" Jeremy asked.
"Yup," the younger sister answered.
Jeremy smiled at her enthusiasm. "He got away from what I could tell."
The darker skinned dragon shifted uncomfortably. "Thick skinned bastard," he muttered, turning his face away.
The older sister tried unsuccessfully to hide her trembling lower lip. "Good. I hope he comes back and punches you in the face."
A soft laugh rippled through the air. "I'd like to meet a vamp that could match me in battle," he said quietly. The younger sister visibly lit up at that. She had never shared her sister's love of the creepy vampire leader.
The older girl hid her face in her knees. The vampires were all she knew. She had fun playing pranks on them and seeing how angry and scary their faces got. She looked up to Boss- he was strong. He made people listen to him. She hid herself away in her own dark corner and ignored the others, keeping a close eye on her sister. She didn't trust those lizards. Her sister was now following the leader around, looking starry-eyed and excited. A surge of loneliness began to overtake her, but she crushed it.
"Let's clear away the undead. We'll make camp here tonight," Jeremy said, looking to his dragons. "Resu, Mia, go find some game that we can eat without choking on. Once we're finished clearing the space, you, Nadari, will transform and provide cover for us tonight. Setsu, find some firewood we can use to cook the meat and provide warmth for the children." As the dragons split to follow his commands, he turned his gaze on the younger child and smiled. "Try not to wear yourself out tonight following after me."
* * *
Dawn was beginning to break, the weak sunlight setting off the dragon's brilliant amber scales. Within the protective half-circle of Nadari's body slept five prone figures, their chests all rising and falling in the pattern of sleep. Barely two months had passed since they found the two girls traveling with the vampires and, for whatever reason, Jeremy had invited them to travel with them.
The older girl had grudgingly followed when her sister had enthusiastically chosen to accept his offer. Since then, they had spent the day traveling by air and foot as it suited them and choosing a nice sheltered spot to camp for the night. That particular morning found them in a relatively secluded forest with dense underbrush and even thicker tree coverage.
Jeremy barely stirred as a sixth form darted silently to the child curled at his back. Mia, however, raised her head to glare at the child that had stepped on her. For whatever her own reasons, the small, dark haired female had taken an instant liking to the younger girl and an almost violent dislike to the older girl. Sniffing the air, she grumbled an obsenity and curled back up to drift back asleep. Let the child get herself killed for whatever stupid plan she had hatched this time.
She shook her younger sister and pulled her away from the group as soon as her eyes were open. Once they were out of earshot, the older sister looked at her sister and very seriously said, "I'm running away."
After a long moment of silence, the girl looked up at her sister. "I'm staying. The vampires aren't too far behind us, if you want to go back to them." After an awkward pause, she added, "I'll miss you."
The girl looked down at her feet. "Why... do you like them so much? The lizards, I mean? You eat with them, you laugh and play with them, and you like the name they gave you. I don't understand." Her voice dropped to a near-whisper. "I feel like you're not my best friend anymore."
Confusion tore at her heart. "They make me feel safe," she answered. "Jeremy especially. I feel...like I belong with them. I didn't...like the vampires." Glancing shyly up at her sister, she continued, "I'll always be your sister and that's better than best friends."
"Do you like my new name?" She looked up hopefully. "Is it pretty?"
Rina smiled. "It's perfect. I almost wish it were mine."
Rose hugged her sister tightly. "Please don't think I hate them. It's just that I want to be like Boss. I want to be strong so I can protect you. I have to make up for Mommy and Daddy."
Blinking back tears, Rina returned the hug fiercely and whispered, "Just don't become scary like him."
Breaking the hug, Rose gave Rina her best impish smile. "Not to you. No worries, kay?" She took a few steps away then turned back. "Keep them away, they won't like me going back. I'll find you when I'm strong, promise!"
Rina returned the grin and stepped back. "They won't know what hit them." She hesitated and then added, "Let's make a pact to come back to this exact spot in ten years. That way, we don't have to search so long for each other."
Rose's face lit up. "Yeah!" She ran back over to her twin. What are we gonna do to seal the deal?"
She promptly spit in her hand and stuck it out, a solemn look on her face. "This is how EVERYONE seals non-evil pacts."
Rose laughed. "Right." She held out her now saliva-splattered hand and they shook on their promise. "Ten years, Sis."
"Ten years," Rina agreed. "I get to shave you bald if you're late."
"Hmmmm." The other girl looked thoughtful. "And I get to paint you blue!"
This time, it was Rina's turn to laugh, though it turned into a sob at the end. Tears welled up in her eyes and spilled over. "Be safe," she whispered, gripping Rose's hand a moment longer than necessary. Then, she released her twin and watched her disappear into the surrounding pines. Their eyes met one last time and then she was gone.
A gentle wind tugged at her overly shirt as she cumpled to the ground and sobbed soundlessly. Her heart broke and, deep down, she knew nothing would ever be the same again. Not without her sister, her other half.
Jeremy found her, hours later, still curled up in a ball and quietly sobbing. A quick survey of the surrounding area told him everything he needed to know. Silently, he knelt down and gathered Rina into his arms. She gripped his shirt and burrowed her face into his chest, her sobs redoubling.
When he returned to the other dragons and explained what had happened, confused emotions flickered across their faces. Mia, despite her intial distrust of Rose, felt a pang of loss at the sassy girl's absence. Resu, for all his burly gruffness, had liked her and would miss her, but the choice to leave had been hers. Nadari and Setsu exchanged glances, quietly making plans to go looking for her that night after everyone was asleep. They alone of the group had taken an instant liking to the bad tempered, surly child and they alone would have protected her as they would have one of their own.
Jeremy saw the silent exchange and immediately forbade it. Whatever his feelings for Rose, it had been her choice to return to the vampires and he would respect that decision. With varying degrees of sadness, they roused themselves enough to destroy the evidence that they had spent the night in the forest. Once finished, each cast a long look towards the spot where Rose had disappeared before, one by one, they transformed and left.
* * *
It was getting cold and despite her excitement at seeing Boss and Nana again, Rose was feeling scared. What if she couldn't find them? What if the Boss left her and she couldn't get back to the Lizards? Just when her fear nearly reached a frenzy she stumbled into something hard. Rubbing her nose, she looked up into Boss' face. He was smiling coldly. It took a lot of courage for her to meet his gaze. "Hello Brat." he sneered.
The girl squared her shoulders and glared at him with genuine anger. "I'm Rose." She said firmly. "Don't you ever call me Brat again." Nana walked to her from behind Boss and lifted her up.
"The kid has claws, Lucas. Hope you can handle her."
"That's your job, 'Nana'." Lucas snapped. And with that, they vanished into the shadows.