Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Blood Sister-Revised ❯ Changing Tides ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Scroll VI-Changing Tides
 
Lucas paced briskly from one end of the small cave to the other, his thoughts whirling. He had the entire dragon army on his tail by now, and likely the demons. He glanced at this captive, unconscious on the floor. Why hadn't he just killed her? It would have saved him a lot of trouble. But for some reason, he simply didn't want to. Maybe it was his thirst for revenge- she had ruined him, ruined everything he'd worked for!
 
Where could he go from here, anyway? If he could get his hands on the girls, he'd be a god. He could make all of those pitiful rulers bow before him. That was, of course, assuming he lived that long.
 
Tara opened her eyes slowly, the events of the fight catching up to her. For a moment, she was scared. His power... where had it come from. Not even she had been aware of this change. But then, she realized- he was in her grasp. She could have her revenge.
 
She didn't think he'd noticed that she was awake. He was pacing. She risked a quick glance outside- it was nearing sundown. He'd be at his strongest then. What about Rose? Was she all right? And Kyla... she'd been injured in the fight.
 
Perhaps the best option was to play along, buy some time until sunrise. It would be *so* much easier to kill him then. At that moment, the pacing stopped. "Good morning, Queen Tara." He said mockingly. "Was the mattress soft enough for you?"
 
Tara sighed and sat up. "No, the service sucks around here. Literally. You're going to regret this, vampire." She spoke it as fact, not a threat. It would infuriate him to see her so calm. He enjoyed causing fear.
 
"I think I won't. I escaped, and I have a hostage. It will only be a matter of time before I get Rose and Rina. You should be thinking about yourself, not fantasizing about my death."
 
The demon Queen rolled her eyes. "I'm shaking in my boots, leech. Look, you've got half the known world chasing after you. Won't you just die peacefully?"
 
He laughed bitterly. "Just roll over and die? You'd ask that of *me*? I want to become a god! If my will was so weak, I'd never have conceived of the plan in the first place."
 
"You didn't conceive anything!" Tara fumed. "It was that fortune teller that told you that you had the opportunity of a lifetime. Just as it was me who did the thinking for you the past sixteen years. You couldn't think your way out of an unlocked jail cell- which is where you're going to end up if I don't kill you."
 
He was silent for a long moment. "Why did you turn against me?" he asked softly. "How could you harbor this hate and never say a word?"
 
"Easy." Tara crossed her arms and stared him down. 'I'm blessed with intelligence, patience and cunning. You lack all three. As for why... do you even have the slightest idea how much you use people? I ask because you're not smart enough to do it on purpose."
 
"Shut up." Lucas growled. "If I used you, it was because you were weak. You may have trapped me, Tara, but I still hold the upper hand. I could kill you with almost no effort."
 
"Then do it," Tara challenged. "Kill me. See how far that gets you with Rose and Rina. You need their blood, *willingly given*. Rose will never let you near her if she knows you killed me."
 
"Killing isn't always destroying the body. I can destroy your mind and take the freedom you so love away from you. I learned a lot, Tara- as you will learn." He stepped towards her, his cold expression chilling her heart. She had never suspected that he was *this* evil. His shadow, lengthened by the setting sun, fell across her face. She shivered and wondered what he meant by 'destroying her mind'. But, by the looks of it, she wouldn't have to wonder for long.
 
* * *
 
As the sun died and creeping darkness took its place, flames roared higher and higher, reaching for the distant moon. Around its base, a small knot of people stood. Jeremy held Rina tightly against his chest, his face buried in her hair. Rina had one hand fisted in his shirt as she watched the flames leap and crackle, dance and sway with the wind. For someone who had lived so brightly, it was a fitting end.
 
Try though she might, she could find little comfort in the thought. She glanced at Setsu and saw that the older woman was staring longingly at the spot where the flames had first consumed her mate. Her tears were long dried, but her sadness was still a heavy thing. Rina was sure that had there been no one else around, she would have gladly joined Nadari.
 
As though sensing her thoughts, Jeremy tightened his arms around her waist and lifted his face to gaze one last time upon the fire. The light of the flames threw his face into relief and highlighted the tiredness he suddenly felt. It was as if he had aged a thousand years before her very eyes. Then, he looked down at her and she felt her stomach drop. His eyes held sorrow, rage, and…fear.
 
The rage and sorrow she understood, but the fear? Had Lucas shown more than just incredible strength? Was there something she had missed in the afternoon when she had been healing those caught in the Vampire Chancellors escape?
 
Jeremy lifted a hand to her cheek and tucked a strand of hair behind her ear with a curiously tender expression. Stepping back, he took her hand in his and led her away from the knot of grievers. Several people turned to look at them as they left, but none made to follow them.
 
As he led her back to the palace, they could hear the distinct rustle of cloth as their guards kept a respectful distance. Jeremy's fingers tightened around hers for an instant before he relaxed his grip once more. Whatever was troubling him, it went beyond Nadari's death. When they reached the palace doors, the guards on duty opened them and bowed them through where they were greeted by a fuming Samel.
 
Jeremy stopped short and maneuvered Rina behind him as their guards filed in after them and formed a loose half circle around them. His gaze was cool as he surveyed the Head of House Samel. “What do you want?” he asked curtly.
 
“Why have you confined my House to my Family Wing?” Samel snarled.
 
Rina felt something subtle shift in his body as he tilted his head to study the older dragon. “Have you not heard of the events over the last two days?” Jeremy asked, eyeing Samel with distaste. There was something very strange about his Head's actions. Perhaps…
 
“Of course I have,” he snapped. “What I want is to know the why of your actions.”
 
“Then, you were briefed on the death of my guard, Mia, and the centaur rebellion? You've been informed of the new alliance with the vampires and how we're hunting the Demon Queen for attempting to kill my Consort?” Jeremy asked, stifling a yawn. Rina cast him a puzzled look, but said nothing.
 
“Yes, of course,” Samel answered, looking suddenly a little uncomfortable. “I received the news as soon as it happened. Wh-why-?” He stuttered to a stop under the look Jeremy fixed him with and the color drained very rapidly from his face. A trap! And he had fallen right into it.
 
To his guards, he said, “Seize him and confine him. As with all the Houses in confinement right now, I will deal with him in the morning. Place thirty of your best guards on him tonight, General Tillum, and ensure that he does not escape or you'll take his place.” The General bowed deeply and gave a sharp order to his men.
 
Then, he and half those that had been guarding their king split off and took Samel into custody. The Head didn't even try to resist as he was led away, though he did cast Jeremy and Rina a sullen look as they disappeared into a door off to the side of the main hall.
 
Jeremy stood silently for a moment, his head tilted back as he stared out of the transparent dome above them. Rina leaned closer to him and shivered. Whatever Samel had been up to, he had been out of the palace and gone since at least after the dance the day before. That thought caught her by surprise. Had they really been dancing and laughing without a care in the world just yesterday? It seemed as though a lifetime had passed since that time.
 
“Rina?” Jeremy asked softly, breaking through her reverie. Rina looked up at him and saw the concern written on his face.
 
She smiled and slipped her arm through his. “I'm simply tired, Jeremy,” she said. “It's…been a long day.”
 
He studied her for a long moment and then nodded. They walked in silence back to their room, their guards as silent as the surrounding walls. When they stepped inside Jeremy's chambers, Jeremy paused before shutting the doors and turned back to say, “Only three guards need be posted at a time. Three of you may retire and switch off in a few hours.”
 
Relief flickered in their eyes as they each bowed. As much as they respected their new king, they hadn't been looking to a full night of guarding him with nothing to do and no way to get a few hours of rest. This way, at least, they each got to rest or do something more entertaining.
 
Inside the room, Jeremy followed Rina to her room and leaned against the door frame. His eyes tracked her movements as she moved about the room, picking up her discarded clothes from the previous day and choosing her nightwear for that night. Finally, she turned to face him and give voice to the question that had been distressing her even more than the fear she had seen in his eyes. “Could I have saved him if I hadn't drunk so much last night and passed out? If I had been there, in the council room with you, could I have done something to prevent the attack?”
 
His gold flecked eyes took on a shade of silver as he stepped into the moonlight cast through her window. “No, you wouldn't have been able to save him. The damage was too severe. Even if Nadari had lived, I would have had to retire him from his position as guard and given his title of Head to someone else. He would have been paralyzed and earth bound for the rest of his life because of a severed spine. As to the council meeting-” his voice trailed off as he stared out the window “-the confrontation with Lucas has been boiling for some time now. If it hadn't been today, it would have been another day. You couldn't have stopped the attack if you had been there.”
 
Rina leaned against him and pressed her forehead against his chest, inhaling his scent as she did so. He wrapped his arms around her waist and held her close. She cried for the first time that day in the circle of his arms and let her heart break. Shame and guilt that she hadn't been there flooded through her until it seemed her world had died with him. Hate for Lucas was muted by grief, but in time it would come back and with it would come the desire to keep living. For that moment, though, she clung to Jeremy for all the strength and support that he offered her.
 
Jeremy, for his part, gently persuaded Rina back towards the bed where they sat down and he stroked her back, murmuring reassuring nothings to her. Despite the front he held for her sake and for the sake of those around them, Nadari's death had shaken him to the core. The loss of his long time comrade and friend had reminded him of how fragile life was and how it could be ripped away in an instant.
 
As it was, he had realized how fragile Rina was compared to the other dragons and creatures and that had scared him more than the thought of losing someone else he was close to. Nadari's loss had merely cemented the knowledge that there was unrest in his own kingdom and without and that Rina and Rose would always be targets so long as he ruled an unstable country. Sitting there with her, murmuring reassuring nothings to her, he resolved to end the civil war and kill Lucas if it took doing so by his own two claws. Morning, he decided, would come soon enough and, with it, the changes he would have to make to ensure his country was stable and safe.
 
* * *
 
He stood before them on the balcony overlooking the dance floor, reposed in the blood of his enemies. His eyes were colder than they had ever been and the rulers and guards standing below him couldn't help the shiver that passed through them at the sight.
 
Despite the fact that all the blood he was covered in was dragon, they couldn't help but wonder if it would be theirs one day. Would this Dragon King be as much of a tyrant as those before them? Their eyes followed his every graceful movement as he turned away and descended the stairs.
 
"I'm sure you're wondering what I was up to this morning," he said softly, his voice echoing off the walls until it was like he was whispering in their ear. "I...purged...my ranks of traitors, both for those that supported Lucas and my sisters. It has left me with a depleted number of nobles, but..." his eyes flicked over each ruler as he studied them "...we don't need numbers to deal with the vampires and the usurpers."
 
Grethel shook her head as he turned and walked briskly down the hall. She, too, bore signs of battle, but truthfully it had been hard to fight without getting in Jeremy's way. She thanked God that she was certain he was sane. The only good thing about the whole affair was that only a *very* small number of traitors were from her house, while House Samel was nearly decimated.
 
The general went over the numbers in her head. Nearly a *third* of the nobles were dead. Were there really so many idiots in their palace? Maybe it was better they were dead... it cleared out the gene pool. But there were other things to worry about. It had been two days since Mia, Rose and Venya went after Lucas and Tara. It made her wonder if she should have sent some guards with them- but it only would have slowed them down.
 
After seeing her King to his chambers she went directly to the Training Grounds. Maybe she could distract herself with work. To her disappointment, not many were due for training, and even less were performing poorly. Feeling more stressed than ever, she went to find another way to vent her frustration.
 
"My Lady, perhaps it would be best just to send myself to check on them, if it worries you so." David said formally. Grethel stood a little taller and snorted disdainfully.
 
"I'm no Lady, as I've said before. And I can't do a thing until Jeremy orders it. I have no wish to join the traitors."
 
"He doesn't need to know. I'm usually hidden, anyway, and I have... unique talents. I could find them easily." David argued. "I'll check up n the situation and return with a report in less than a day."
 
She shook her head firmly. "You'd have to ask Jeremy's approval- and now is definitely not the best time. He had to kill many he was raised with today. It's not easy, even if you know they mean you harm."
 
David was silent. She understood why he wanted to go, maybe better than he did. Yes, he wanted to put his General's mind at ease. He wanted to do something useful. And, though he may not admit it, he felt as if he had to take Nadari's place. He had grown fond of the girl Rose despite his initial mistrust. He worried about her. She saw it in the tightness of his shoulders, the tired look in his eyes. She worried, too, but there was nothing that could be done.
 
Rina leaned against the doorway, a slight smile gracing her lips as she studied the pair. "Jeremy has temporarily turned command of the palace over to me. Go and find them, David. Report back to us in a day," she said.
 
Her guards shifted slightly under the glaring sun. They traded looks, but otherwise said nothing. It was not their place to question the orders of their King's Consort, nor was it their place to question why their King would trust so much responsibility to his Consort in the first place.
 
Her eyes flicked to Grethel. "I would ask that you assemble the rest of the Houses and the other rulers. It's time to name the three new Heads."
 
David and Grethel bowed respectfully. "Thank you, Lady Rina." David was gone almost as soon as the words left his mouth. He didn't spare a second glance as he retreated farther in the forest, silencing his thoughts for the Change.
 
There weren't a lot of shapeshifters in Arania- in the known world, really. It was not an easy life. All one had to do to assume the shape of an animal was to touch it. From infancy, a shapeshifter's parents expose their children to all kinds of animals, in the case of an emergency. By the time the child is six, he can control his Change. David had not been so lucky. Abandoned at the doorstep of a peasant in the lower city, his adoptive parents had discovered his heritage the hard way. Unsure of how to deal with him, they sent him to live with an old scholar in the Palace.
 
He had been mistrusted because of his differences, but Grethel had seen potential. She had taken him into the army at a young age and honed his abilities. He owed everything to her. It was because of his lonely childhood that he understood the girl Rose, and despite his worries about her connection to Lucas, he felt like he was somehow responsible. He wanted to help her avoid the loneliness he had endured.
 
The change finished, he shook himself, enjoying the feeling of the air on his damp fur. It was time to hunt. He put his black nose to the ground and inhaled, sorting through the musky scent of the earth, the crisp leaves and moist water. There, the scent of human sweat and metal. The smoky remnants of a dragon's passing. Grinning inwardly, he howled and dashed off. They would see who was the better tracker.
 
Back at the palace, an hour had passed since Grethel had summoned the survivors of the Purge and ordered them to one side of room across from the nervous rulers and their guards. Tension was palpable among those standing together. The dragons eyed Rina with apprehension. Where was the King?
 
Julianna stood a little away from Inaeis, her head spinning. They had barely spoken since the council. He seemed lost in his thoughts. What had really happened? Now there were nearly a hundred nobles dead and Jeremy had passed authority to his Consort. She couldn't stay silent any longer. "Inaeis, what's going on? Where's Lord Jeremy?" she asked, unknowingly echoing the dragons' thoughts.
 
After a long moment of silence, he said, "Lucas tried to attack Rose, Lord Jeremy lost a trusted guard in saving her, and discovered that nearly a third of his number was traitor to him. He dealt with them this morning and now, I believe, he intends to name two new Heads to replace those lost in the takeover just a month ago."
 
The woman's eyes went wide and she gasped. "But, what about Lucas? And his consort? Were they killed too?" She searched the crowd for the pair, her eyes lingering on the Sxorel's son, standing in his mother's place. Everything was so strange.
 
Inaeis looked at her, the tiredness of the last few days suddenly visible on his face. For the first time, he felt each and every year of his three hundred and thirty-five years of life. "Tara sided with Jeremy when he offered her a deal. After that, Lucas attacked Rose and Jeremy took off. In the ensuing confusion Lucas while we tried to deal with him, he injured a few of the other rulers and disappeared, taking the Demon Queen with him."
 
Julianna's expression was grim. "So who went after them?" She was determined to get the whole story out of him. She was used to him trusting in her, confiding in her. It frightened her when thry didn't talk. "And who is Rose?"
 
"Our other daughter. She has to be. Jeremy wouldn't have reacted with such swiftness otherwise."
 
A painful lump formed in her throat and she found herself choking back tears. She must *not* lose composure, not in view of the other rulers, *not* in such a solemn ceremony. But Joy, relief, and fear flooded her and she could think of nothing but the dark-haired girl that had seemed so close to Rina. how could she have missed it? She took a few deep breaths and tried to calm herself. After a few moments, she found herself able to speak. "Then why have we not gone to her? To Rina?" she whispered. "They are both so close... Why would you keep this from me?!"
 
He eyed Juliana for a long moment. “Can you truly say they would not feel betrayed by our apparent abandonment of them to the vampires? Can you say that Rina would react well to the news that we are her parents on the heels of the death of a close comrade, so close to the coronation of the Dragon King? How would you have reacted if someone claimed to be one of our daughters in the few days after my coronation had you been there and we had lost them during that time?”
 
Julianna bowed her head, hiding the tears she simply couldn't hold back. "It's like someone's playing a cruel joke on us." She said brokenly. "I just want to hold them in my arms again, Inaeis. That one moment so long ago haunts me. It's like Lucas cut out part of my heart when he took them."
 
Inaeis stroked a finger down her cheek, his expression softening. "Rose is out hunting Lucas in the company of two dragons and Rina is alive and well here. They're safe, now. We'll tell them when the time is right and then we'll be a family again."
 
She nodded slowly. "You're right. If she's anything like you, she won't give up until she's gutted him." She attempted to smile. "She'll be back soon."
 
"True enough," he said. He would have said more, but Rina moved to stand in the middle of the room. The dragons stirred to her presence and even from where he stood, he could see the protective desire that arose in each of them at the sight of her. He couldn't quite say what it was about his daughter that provoked such a reaction in such dangerous creatures, but it settled the doubts he had had from the beginning. While she was among them, her very presence would call to them and they would protect her with their lives.
 
Pride swelled her heart as Julianna watched her daughter. She took command as if she'd had the right since birth, commanding the attention and respect of the crowd with a single glance. *This* was what she was born to, the burden of a ruler. She may not know it, but Inaeis' blood was strong.
 
With one final look around the room, she began, "You may have heard rumors of what has happened over the last few days and you may even have indulged in beginning your own rumors of what happened." Here she paused and leveled a significant look at the pixie ruler, who merely smiled in return. "Let me end these rumors by just saying that we have officially terminated the pact with the vampires and are currently hunting the Vampire Chancellor. When the Demon Queen is recovered from Lucas, we intend to enter into a pact with her and her kind. This morning, Lord Jeremy dealt with the traitors in our midst and purged those of tainted blood from our numbers. This action left us without three Noble Dragon Family Heads and now is the time to name them.”
 
She paused and the dragons visibly stood straighter. “As Lord Jeremy is in no condition to impartially name them, he has passed the responsibility to me. Hear me now, for I shall name them only once.” A slight smile touched upon her lips for a moment as she watched dragons light up eagerly. “Resu, Setsu, and Ragnas, step forward and kneel before me.”
 
Setsu extracted herself from the crowd and all but floated to stand before her. Rina had a moment to study the older woman's face before she sank to her knees. Two days of grieving had done them all good, more for Setsu than the others. She was still heartbroken, Rina could see, but it was no longer the kind of grief that shattered one's entire world and ended with the loss of their loved one. Resu joined Setsu in kneeling before Rina, his hand closing briefly around Setsu's in a show of comfort and reassurance.
 
The whole crowd looked to Rina as silence fell. There Grethel stood with her House as tradition dictated, her back straight and her head held high. She wondered who, if anyone, was willing or able to take over House Samel. Only a small handful remained- less than fifty, if she counted right. Her eyes fell on the warrior, Ragnas. He looked confused, his handsome face twisted in a thoughtful expression. God save them if they were all like that. She barely refrained from rolling her eyes.
 
Rina fixed Ragnas with a polite look and cocked her eyebrow at him. "Are you declining the Headship?" she asked.
 
He snapped out of his thoughts as if he'd been in a trance. Ragnas mumbled an apology and knelt before her. He was having a hard time with what Rina had said. How could all these important things be going on without him having even a clue? True, he was a warrior and was bad a t politics, but it still worried him. In addition to his defeat in lower city, he had sunk to a near depression. He needed to talk to Heida. She'd explain everything, as usual.
 
"Resu, you've shown great loyalty and cunning through the years and have been chosen to take over the Headship of the former House Cuncon. Do you accept?"
 
"With my life, my lady," he murmured. "Command me as you will."
 
"Ragnas, three days ago, you showed great skill in battle against Lord Jeremy. You have been chosen to take over the Headship of the former House Samel. Do you accept?"
 
He blinked in surprise. Then he pictured his lovely mate behind him, hitting him across the dead with a sharp "Say something, idiot!" and nodded solemnly. "It is an honor. I will follow your command." He could almost *feel* her glaring eyes boring into his skull... How eerie.
 
"Setsu, your loss is mourned by all those that knew him and will be felt deeply for years to come. Nadari would have been chosen to take over the former House Thaine on merit of intelligence, bravery, loyalty, and ability to handle pressure. As his mate, you have the right to accept or decline his position. What do you choose?”
 
“I accept,” she said clearly and without hesitation. “Command me as you will, Lady Rina. I accept your will as my own.”
 
“Then rise, each of you, and face your new Houses. They will be your Family now to look after and care for.”
 
Grethel watched, dumbfounded, as the new Heads turned and their Houses bowed in respect. She approved of Setsu, and, well, okay, she only had an issue with that *moron*! She shook her head. Well, she'd have to trust Jeremy. Maybe he meant for House Ragnas to focus solely on combat? It was the only *logical* conclusion.
 
“Hear now the words I speak,” Rina said softly as the new Heads turned back to her. “Learn from the mistakes of those past, practice wisdom and kindness in hand, let neither rule the other, suppress not each other, and obey the commands of your ruler and your Family will prosper.” Resu and Setsu dropped to one knee once more as Rina drew a silver dagger from her belt. “If you so hence agree, let us seal these words in blood.” She closed her fingers around the blade and then pulled the blade free. Handing the blade to Resu, she waited.
 
Ragnas fell to his knees after figuring out what was going on, his ears red. He had no grace when it came to these ceremonies- he was getting through *this* one by the skin of his teeth. He waited for the blade to come to him nervously, wondering if this really was the right decision. What if he messed it up? Then he remembered: I am a Warrior. I give everything in battle, and I face death without fear. This is just another battle, another victory to be won. The war is to keep peace, and my army is my House. Having thus settled things in his own mind, he visibly calmed and sliced his palm without batting an eye. If they thought he was worthy of such a mission, he would not fail them.
 
When Ragnas' blood mixed with theirs, Rina levitated the dagger out of his hands and above their hands until everyone could see it. It floated in midair for a moment, glinting eerily in the light, before it burst into white flames and burned for a full minute until there was nothing left. Then, the ashes and the fire combined into a tight ball of light that flared before it flashed into a spiderweb of power that floated gently on the air, its strands settling over the four of them as it settled into their skin and bound them together.
 
Resu twitched a little, feeling the power sing through his veins. Setsu shivered and inhaled sharply at the feeling and Rina barely moved.
 
Ragnas just felt queasy, like after Heida made her 'special' soup. After a moment, it faded. He got the feeling that it was over. No one made a sound, just stood in solemn silence. It wasn't usually like this. It was usually a happy occasion. But too much had happened. He glanced back at his meager House, feeling awkward. No one had ever bowed to him. It felt... wrong. But he supposed he'd get used to it.
 
Rina regarded them sadly. "These are heavy times and heavy burdens," she said. "Bear them well. I release you to your houses for whatever celebrations or plans you may wish to contend with."
 
Setsu smiled slightly for what felt like the first time in years. "Yes, lady," they murmured softly before they each bowed and turned to their respective Houses.
 
As soon as the crowd began to disperse, Grethel approached Rina, her face stern. "Are you well, Rina?" She demanded. "You look like you're going to keel over."
 
Rina smiled and tilted her head back to observe the domed ceiling above them. "Nadari was only the first of our losses, wasn't he?" she asked.
 
Grethel's brow furrowed in confusion. "No one is lost, Rina. Nadari's loss will hurt for some time, but so far that has been the only major death, and we should be grateful." The woman didn't mean to sound callous, but she knew logic would win in this situation. "Try to count the blessings, even if they seem small and unimportant."
 
She was silent for a long time. She looked again at those around them and witnessed a small child run up to her parents, blonde hair waving out behind her like a banner. “I suppose,” she said quietly. “Only time will tell, though.”