Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Butterflies & The Net ❯ Chapter 14: Oh, Happy Day! Part One: Go, Solya! It’s Ya Birthday! ( Chapter 14 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Butterflies & the Net
by iloveanimecartoons
Genre(s): Psychological/Angst/Drama/Romance
Rating: T
Latest Addition:
February 11, 2008
 
 
Chapter 14: Oh, Happy Day!Part One: Go, Solya! It's Ya Birthday!
  
 
Sleep is a good thing.  
Unawareness…ahhh!  Liberating!  Still, gotta go through the daily grind beckons…
 
`Best get on with it…' Solya decided before crinkling her nose in annoyance, `…don't wanna!'
 
Lazy sleep is the best sleep.  That, Solya just knew, was a true fact for the world.
 
`Papi's so comfy,' Solya thought as he shifted slightly, her father's arms squeezing her a little before relaxing as he settled back into sleep.
 
 It had been a really long night.  
Between dealing with the nearly nonstop ringing that made her want to stomp her cell into tiny bits—
 
`Why, oh why didn't I just turn it off? Oy…'
 
—and her own frustration with her own emotions, she was stretching herself pretty thin.  Something had to give and, finally, it did. They started out small, mere moisture that leaked out of her tightly-squeezed eyes.  Soon though, the tears just wouldn't stop streaming down her cheeks and her first response was to hide though she knew no one was around to see her cry.  Absently reaching for her song sheet to shield her face, she tamped down the frustration at the ink blots she was making figuring she had backup so what the hell.  After nearly an hour of holding her feelings in, hoping to silently unravel, she finally really cried.
 
The sudden warmth startled her, but she didn't pull away.  The encompassing surety of her father's arms broke through the façade, the wall she'd been strategically erecting for the last week and a half and she crumbled. He'd done what he always had—made her feel like it was okay to just be the way she was and feel the way she felt and know that she wouldn't be judged, badgered, or overly pitied. 
 
She was pretty close to losing it, she figured.  Screeching at imaginary people just didn't seem to aid any arguments she could come up with that she was `okay' at the time.  In a nutshell, she did feel weak and as much as she hated to admit it, she felt like a little girl again and her father…he was her knight in shining armor.  He knew just what she needed, just what she wanted, perfect timing and sentiment and just the right touch.
 
`Daddy Hugs are the best.  I really love my father.'
 
She hadn't recall falling asleep.  So close to being so far gone, she never felt her father lift her up and settle her in her bed before cocooning her in his embrace, his stronghold.  Somehow, though, the calm seeped into her, that thing he did that no one had ever been able to do for her—strategically take her apart and reconstruct in the same action.  Waking up feeling somehow cleansed and rejuvenated, she knew it was that special ability that he had in abundance.  
And she smiled.  
Tremulously, almost timidly, she smiled and snuggled into his chest for just a few more moments, she decided, before greeting adulthood.
 
./' I'm 18 years old, now
./' I'm 18 years old, now
./' I'm 18 years old, now
./' I'm 18 years old, now
 
Solya whispered the birthday response she'd recited every year and raised an eyebrow at the thought.  Funny, she guessed, how fanciful and immature that song sounded suddenly as she sang it while snuggling up to her daddy. 
 
`This has got to be an oxymoron…'
 
./' May the good lord bless you
“Achoo!” Lamar continued on, stopping when Solya giggled.
 
“Papi, thanks for the train smoke serenade,” Solya grinned, covering her nose in a teasing manner.
You're one to talk, Sunshine.  You smell like you've been eating Shirittos,” he returned, waving his hand for effect.
Jutting her bottom lip out to send the flow of air up her nose, Solya exhaled and groaned.  “Ugh, you ain't never lie, Papi.  Smells like a run over coyote sizzling in the Arizona heat.”
“Wow.  What a visual, err, smell-ual.”
Smell-ual?  Papi, you need coffee soon, dontcha?”
“Perhaps.  Wouldn't hurt.”
“Yeah, wouldn't hurt your breath, either.  Lemme see…Hill's Bros versus halitosis…”
Hey!
“Well…”
“Don't hate `cause your breathe could bring water to a skunks eyes.  My breath, on the other hand, smells like teen spirit.”
“Yeah, after a frat party,” Solya refuted, backing away from him with her nose scrunched up, “What say we both go say Good Morning to good ol' Mr. Colgate?”
“You both are wrong.  Go on and brush, guys.  I'll put on some coffee,” Denise called from her doorway with a smile on her face that they both knew meant she was trying not to laugh at the conversation she just overheard. 
“Thanks, wifey,” Lamar called back as he stretched before kissing Solya on the cheek and sitting up.
“Yeah, sure, hubby…” Denise replied, finally letting a chuckle escape at `wifey' as well as Solya scowling at her husband as she wiped her cheek before passing a card to Solya.
“You like me! You really, really like me!” Solya gushed dramatically.
Denise giggled at her stepdaughter's antics. “Happy Birthday, Solya! Ya wing nut.
“Money?  Thankies, D!” Solya hinted as she shook the envelope, frowning in concentration as she lifted it to her ear to listen for any sounds of shifting inside. 
 
It was a habit she never let slip since her 13th birthday when Denise bought her a humongous card filled with $30 worth of quarters half filling the envelope.  That birthday was especially great.  She was spoiled like mad and ate it up with a spoon. Solya's spent the day with all her friends at an out of town arcade and pizzeria whipping everyone at Mortal Kombat 3, Tekken, Pole Position, Killer Instinct, Tetris and Ms. Pac Man—her games of choice for competition which insured, in her mind, that she'd have none. 
 
`And I whipped them good, too!'
 
Then the envelope burst, most of the quarters falling out, either rolling under various video games, unreachable, or skittering around to be quickly snatched up by oncoming teens and children.  Solya was crestfallen. The manager gave her free run of all the video and skill games as a birthday gift, keying in some code that allowed her to submit a 4 digit pin he'd given her to play limitless. And, of course, she worked that little perk to death, only leaving games to hit the restroom or grab an occasional slice of pizza. 
 
Her stepmother's snort/chuckle drew a chuckle of her own as she marveled at how D was one of the few females she knew that could get away with that particular type of laughter without sounding forced or irritating.
 
“What's funny, Solya?”
“Oh, I was just laughing at your laugh, D.  You just sounded like one of those cutsie little pigs on those weird cartoons.”
“You're just hilarious, today, aren't you?”
“My bad.  That came out wrong.  It was cute, was what I meant.”
“Gotcha.  Well, I'm off to make java.  See you guys after you freshen up.”
 
Father and daughter got up to start their day, sadness forgotten for now.  After all, it was a day to be celebrated!  With that thought in mind, they both raced to the bathroom, shoving and pulling playfully as they tried to best the other in the age old game of `hog the bathroom'.
 
Solya won. 
Of course she did.
She was the birthday girl, after all…
 
 
<(^^<) <(^^)> (>^^)> (>^^<) <(^^<) <(^^)> (>^^)> (>^^<) <(^^<) <(^^)> (>^^)> (>^^<) <(^^<) <(^^)> (>^^)>
 
 
The phone rang.
Again.
It'd been doing that a lot over the last few days.
 
`Joy.'
 
“Solya, I'm kind of tied up. Get the phone, will ya?” Lamar called out of the restroom.
With a long-suffering sigh loud enough to reach his ears, Solya stomped to the phone, fuming inwardly.
 
`Crap. Crap, crap, crap, crap, crap! Might as well suck it up and go through the motions. Between the infernal Tug of War and my absence lately, folks are bound to wanna talk to me—and I doubt Papi'll let me sleep in today.'
 
Checking her watch before reaching for the phone, Solya sighed once again.
 
`Yay. It's 10:12 am. Just under 16 hours to go. Oh well, Happy Birthday to me.'
 
“Amarante Re—”
“Yeah, yeah…Solya speaking, I gotcha. Happy Birthday from your friends in legal.”
“I am legal now, aren't I?”
“Yup!”
So, Juan, are you the first of many reprimanding for the day?”
“No, I'll leave that to Josie and Jaz. Besides, it's your big day! Gotta spoil ya, not boil ya.”
That earned Juan a small laugh and he was glad. “You're a poet and you don't even know it.”
“Not going there. The only song I ever tried to make sounded awful. That's the closest that I ever came or ever will come to again.”
“Don't sell yourself short. The song had potential. It was your voice that could peel paint.”
“Have I ever told you how wonderfully encouraging you are,” Juan questioned sarcastically.
“Not lately. But compliments are good for the heart. Hit me.”
“Heh. Thought it was beans. And compliments…hmm…lemme think…nope. None for you, ya Grinch.”
Oh…`kay,” Solya mock sniffled. “I guess its back to bed for me. Later.”
“Oh, hell no, BC! You will open up your windows, which I know you've had closed up all week, and let some sunshine in,” Juan stated in a stern voice that reminded Solya of her father the very few times she'd truly messed up.
 
`Oh, shit…Juan's gone hardcore.'
 
“You will smile.”
“All right…I'll try.”
“You will laugh.”
“Um…”
“So, quit grumbling and sulking put on a happy face.”
“Okay.”
“You will also answer your damned cell enough at least to let people know you're alive.”
“Yes sir,” Solya eeped.
“You will have a happy bitrthday or I'll curse you to early crows feet and wrinkles,” he continued in that same un-Juan-like tone.
“…`kay,” Solya breathed, “Damn, Juan…you're kinda scary right now.”
“Tough love, dudette. I'm more in the know than you may realize I am and I can certainly relate. Don't…just don't let it swallow you up. I'll see you at the dinner.”
“Okay. See you.”
“Cool.”
“Wait. What did you mean by “I'm more in the know than you may realize I am”?”
“I'll tell you when it's necessary. Trust me. See ya.”
“Bye…”
 
“My buddies are wild. That was quite enough of that for one morning,” Solya mulled over as she headed for the kitchen before calling back to her father. “Papi! Got a request for ya.”
“Okay,” he spoke through the door.
“If I get any calls, please tell my callers to hit me on my celly,” she answered, adding on the last of her thoughts under her breath, “I'm not in the mood for random venting today.”
“Got it. No problem.”
“Good,” Solya replied with a self-satisfied nod as she headed off toward the kitchen, “Very good.”
 
 
<(^^<) <(^^)> (>^^)> (>^^<) <(^^<) <(^^)> (>^^)> (>^^<) <(^^<) <(^^)> (>^^)> (>^^<) <(^^<) <(^^)> (>^^)>
 
 
 
Breakfast was delicious, as were all her birthday meals. This one, which consisted of a cheesy veggie omelet with half an onion bagel, turkey bacon, and a raspberry and cherry smoothie, was no different. The fact that it generally fit into her carb limits was an added plus.
 
 
 
“Denise, you really worked wonders in the kitchen this morning. Go, girl!” Solya complimented as she finished off her bagel and OJ.
 
“So, Sol, you ready for the `Triple S scheme' this year?”
 
“Snatch, Surprise and Spoil, ya mean, D?”
 
Denise shook her head in humor as much as compassion. “Yup”
 
Ugh! Am I ever?”
 
“Well, try to be patient with you father and Jerrod. Today is a pretty big day for you, as well as them— Jerrod, Solya, I've never talked to him so much in my life; he just kept calling me! Places you like to go, your favorite anime, hard to find video games that you wanted, clothes you were into—I told him about your Dallas Cowboys fetish, of course,” Denise added with a wink.
 
 
Solya rolled her eyes but smiled.
 
 
“He talked my ear off, but, really, I understood, Denise continued, “They both did, actually. Bragging about who was gonna surprise you the best. It's been hilarious! The way your father's been acting over the last five months, you'd think he was the one about to turn 18.”
 
“That's Papi! Big kid at heart!”
 
“That, he most definitely is. He's just…he's been so excited and he's really worked hard to make your day awesome. Especially in the last week…” Denise explained before trailing off as her concerns came to the front of her mind.
 
 
 
`No, today is her day. We can discuss her last session with Dr. Busch later in the week. I know it's been eating at her.'
 
 
 
Solya frowned and groaned inwardly when whatever Denise was thinking gave her pause. She was pretty sure she knew what she was thinking and really hoped she dropped it. Her father and stepmother agreed to give her space and not pry too far into her sessions and always kept their part of the bargain.
 
 
 
`Please don't change the rules, now, D. Not today. Birthday or no, just…not today.'
 
 
 
“Yeah, I know what you mean,” Solya commented, hoping to stave off any potential interrogations, “Jer takes my birthdays way too seriously, D. Do you know what he said a few weeks back when I tried to pick him for information?”
 
“Oh, lord. What?”
 
“He said, and I quote, “Ancient Chinese secret—if I tell you, I'll have to kill you…and use your remains for stir fry.. The guy needs help, I tell ya.”
 
“Tell him I'll give him a discount, him being my baby daddy and all… I'll charge him $75 a session and throw in a free can soda! Can't beat that with a bat!”
 
“D, you are something else.”
 
“I know, I know… Anyway, let me get things prepared.”
 
“Prepared? What `things'?”
 
“Oh, Lamar's throwing you a birthday dinner on the weekend. He didn't tell you?”
 
“Oh. That's right, he did tell me that. And he invited Jesse, too, and…” Solya recalled, then soon recalling two items that she didn't remember to see to.
 
“Sol, you okay?” Denise questioned as she waved her hand in front of Solya's face.
 
“Yeah. Good. I'm fine. I just forgot to friggin' tell Jesse when my birthday was and…invite him…to…my dinner…oh, hell—heck! Oops.”
 
Solya!” Denise gasped in mock horror, picking up the phone and passing it to her, “This won't do. You call that young man and let him know what he's missing. Any boy that would not only see you to the door after a date, knowing he may possibly have to face the wrath of your father—”
 
“Who can be a pit bull when he wants to be,” Solya interjected.
 
“—but would subject himself to my version of a `fireside chat—and you know I can be rather random—deserves the chance to see you again…and spoil you rotten.”
 
Denise!” Solya giggled, surprised at the opportunistic undertone of her stepmother's comments.
 
What? I saw the limo, Solya.”
 
“You did? Deni—wait. Were you spying on us?”
 
“No. It was all a coincidence that I just so happened to be looking out the window when you two showed up…and I enjoyed the breeze so much, I…enjoyed it for a few more…minutes,” Denise answered, answers spoken lower with ever pause till they were practically whispered.
 
D!
 
“What? You guys were so cute! Could you blame me?”
 
Yes!
 
“Well, sorry. I'll be good from now on. Promise.” Denise said, crossing her heart with her index finger. Solya didn't look convinced but didn't comment.
 
“Well, it's not like that.”
 
“Okay, then, tell me what it is like.”
 
“That limo was from his father's company. They sponsor this annual fundraiser—the, um…the Ryan White Fund—and Jesse, as his father's representative for the night, had to show up in style. I don't think he's built like that.”
 
“How do you know? Ever ask him what he does for a living?”
 
“No.”
 
“Does he live with his parents?”
 
“No…”
 
“Roommates?”
 
“No…”
 
Denise let out a very happy squeal and Solya just blinked at her. “Then, he's financially independent, to say the least.”
 
“Well, yeah, I guess…”
 
“Then, I don't see the problem. Let the guy spoil ya.”
 
D…”
 
“What? He likes you. It's not a crime, yanno.”
 
“Yeah, I know…”
 
Denise pressed the receiver into Solya's hand. “So, call him.”
 
Solya wrinkled her nose and pouted but acquiesced. “Yeah, alright. Gimme some privacy, will ya?”
 
“So you can blow kisses to your boo over the phone? Why would I want to miss that?”
 
D!” Solya shrieked in embarrassment—not sure why she was so embarrassed by an obviously untrue assumption—and grabbed her glass to flick the remaining OJ at her stepmother. Denise squealed and ran out of the room as Solya's glance rolled to the nearly full pitcher of OJ and she smirked evilly.
 
 
 
`Now, to call Jesse…in peace.'
 
 
 
 
 
<(^^<) <(^^)> (>^^)> (>^^<) <(^^<) <(^^)> (>^^)> (>^^<) <(^^<) <(^^)> (>^^)> (>^^<) <(^^<) <(^^)> (>^^)>
 
 
 
 
 
“Jesse, how've yo—”
 
“Solya?” he queried in a sluggish voice.
 
“Y-yeah…Jes, you okay there? You sound kind of…off.”
 
“I just woke up, Sol—”
 
“Oh! Then, by all means, I'll call back! Sorry, Jes. Go back to sleep.”
 
“You'll do no such thing,” Jesse countered in a tone that stated plainly that he was of the utmost seriousness. A tone that made Solya's mouth go dry. Not with fear, but oddly a sort of shocked awe.
 
 
 
`So, the jokester does have backbone. Okay, Mr. Sota, let's hear your argument.'
 
 
 
When Solya offered no follow up commentary, Jesse took the reigns.
 
 
 
“Where the hell have you been? I've been so worried, Solya!”
 
“Really.”
 
“Yes, really. Was it me? Did I do something to offend you? Gianni told me I was being pushy, but, I swear that wasn't my intention at all. I just wanted to get to know you.”
 
“Same here,” Solya admitted, surprised by the ease with which she stated the fact.
 
“Okay. Fine. We were both on the same page, at least on some level. Then tell me, Cuteness. What happened?”
 
“I just needed a break—”
 
“From me? Why? I mean what—didn't I—we…had fun, didn't we? We got along…I treated you well, right?” Jesse probed softly.
 
“Well, yeah. You did,” Solya hurried to confirm. “It…it wasn't you at all.”
 
“Then why? Why, Sol? If it wasn't me, why'd you ignore more for almost two weeks? Why?”
 
“I didn't mean to—I wasn't trying to come off that way—I was…I was busy,” Solya tried to explain, the end of her sentence uttered so low Jesse barely heard it.
 
Busy?” Jesse repeated incredulously, “Wow, that's just…wow.”
 
“No, no, no; not that way. Not to brush you or anyone off, Jesse. I just was very busy—more so preoccupied—and it took a lot of my time,” Solya attempted to explain, feeling very surprised and rather guilty for how her actions affected him, “I'm…well, I…”
 
“I missed you, Cuteness…Gianni even asked about you and…what the…HEY!
 
 
Solya rolled her eyes figuring it was Gianni picking with Jesse. She was correct. After a few mumbled curses and a couple shouts muffled by the phone being covered on Jesse's end, a new voice came on the phone.
 
 
“Hey, Solya! How the hell are ya? Been a bit since I saw ya!”
 
“Gianni, is that you?”
 
“Yes, ma'am! So, I heard you were gonna test your skills with me. I've been waiting.”
 
“Oh, you'll get your chance really soon, G. Just remember, humility is a good thing.”
 
“So I've heard. So, what in blazes have you done to Big B? That boy has got to be the most dry whi—”
 
“Huh?” Solya thought aloud before grinning like mad.
 
 
`No way…he was not about to say what I think he was, was he? Oh, this needs to be further probed and picked upon later. It's on, Gianni!'
 
 
After a couple seconds of distorted fussing, the phone was back in the hand of Jesse and Gianni was whining in the background about how heavy handed Jesse was.
 
 
`That's what you get for putting folks on Front Street, homey.'
 
 
“That's enough of that, Gianni,” Jesse grumbled in embarrassment when he finally snatched the phone from his infuriating little brother.
 
 
Laughter rang out on both ends of the line; Solya on her end and Gianni on the other.
 
 
“He needs sleep. Please ignore him,” Jesse further grumbled as Gianni's laughter bellowed in the background.
 
“He's harmless,” Solya grinned stifling any further laughter in light of Jesse's obvious discomfort.
 
 
`Yup. Definitely gonna ask Gianni later…'
 
 
“Yeah, part of the time he is. Well, you'll see. You will see, right? I mean, I am gonna see ya again, right?”
 
“Oh, yeah... You see, today's my birthday and Papi in—”
 
“Birthday? Solya! Why didn't you tell me? I could've—well, I wouldn't—and then we'd have…have… Why'd you take so long to tell me?”
 
“Truly, I didn't think it was all that big a deal. I mean, it wasn't to me and I didn't imagine that it would be so to you.”
 
“This, if my math is correct, is your 18th birthday, Solya. How could I not see it as important?”
 
“Jesse…”
 
“Maybe…maybe I'm not in your tight circle of friends and maybe I don't mean as much to you as you do to me but I just thought—hoped—that was a given.”
 
“Wow, I guess I assumed—I shouldn't have, huh? I'm sorry.”
 
“Don't be sorry. Just…tell me things. Don't leave me in the dark on the important things. You'd be amazed what I see as important.”
 
 
Solya's stomach seemed to shrink then explode at his words as another person, another time, with the same sentiment said something very similar to her…
 
 
“You'll never be alone again. When you're ready to talk to me, I'll listen and nothing will ever be insignificant. So just know that you have a true friend in me.”
 
 
`Jer…Jesse…wow, this is getting…getting…okay, I don't have a word for it, yet, but...'
 
 
“Solya?”
 
Snapping out of her reverie, Solya nodded and then realizing he'd never see the action, whispered, “O-okay.”
 
“Good. Now, what's your day looking like? Any major plans?”
 
“Just the usual tug of war.”
 
“Tug of war…”
 
“Oh, yeah; Jer and my father always `fight' over who's gonna hog me for the day. It's been going on so long, most of my other peeps have adapted to the point of leaving me birthday greetings on my cell and dropping off the gifts within the week or just plain coming over as early as possible in hopes of hanging with me for a couple hours before I'm spirited away.”
 
“And you didn't think it was all that big a deal,” Jesse scoffed playfully.
 
“Really, it isn't.”
 
“You've got folks vying for your attention, Cuteness. I'd be impressed and flattered if it were me.”
 
“I guess you'd have to be a fly on the wall, Jesse. They both can be really juvenile about it. There have been headlocks, races and arm wrestling involved.”
 
“Your family and friends are really…interesting, huh?”
 
“Sure, we'll go with that.”
 
“Well, since you're obviously swamped today, how about giving me your last half hour. That way, you can say I saw you for your birthday and you got to spend time with everyone else. What do you say?”
 
“Well, I am `grown' now—curfew be damned. Sure, we can do this. Meet me at my house at 11:30 tonight and we'll paint the town turquoise!”
 
“Turquoise, Sol?”
 
“Red's so cliché, Jesse—live a little!”
 
“Sure, sure,” he laughed in reply, “Prepare to be amazed!”
 
“Oh, hell. Papi has competition? Well, whatever you do, don't speak that aloud. Oy vey, he and Jer are already the odd couple and three is definitely a crowd.”
 
“Gotcha. Hold for a sec?”
 
“Alright.”
 
 
Solya heard a muffled conversation in the background and then Gianni was back on the phone.
 
 
“Happy Birthday, Solya! Wow, wish I knew a week ago. Could've hooked you up! Still gotta repay you for holding that pizza money when you whipped Big B's can.”
 
“You got the hookup, G?”
 
“Had—had—the hookup. But, don't be sad, I've got you.”
 
“It's all good and the $70 I was left with was enough. Plus, your brother owes me a few favors which I will be collecting on soon. Don't sweat the pizza money, G.”
 
“Seriously, I do! I was craving and broke—a sad combination—and that pizza was like water to a man lost in the Sahara,” Gianni orated in a theatric air.
 
“Never knew you were so…dramatic, Gianni.”
 
“The G-Dog comes in many flavors—dramatic being just one of them.”
 
 
Solya laughed until she snorted. Gianni was just too much and she couldn't wait to see him again. The other line beeped and glancing at the caller ID, she smiled and shook her head.
 
 
`Josie…knew she'd be calling soon.'
 
 
“Well, `G Dog', I look forward to seeing more of your `many flavors' later. Right now, I've got another call coming in. See you soon.”
 
“Okay, Cuteness! See ya!” Gianni teased.
 
“Hey!” Jesse hollered in the background.
 
“Couldn't resist, Big B!” was the last thing she heard Gianni say…well, that and a hit—most likely Jesse popping his little brother for overstepping his boundaries—before clicking over.
 
“Josie?” Solya laughed.
 
“No, it's me, Auntie Sol!”
 
“Terry! How's it hanging, little man?”
 
“I'm good! I called to say Happy Birthday and to letcha know I made you something, too.”
 
“Get out!” Solya gasped for effect and Terry laughed as she knew he would. It was always easy to amuse him.
 
“I did. Seriously. All by myself. Well, Mami did help…a little.”
 
“Is it a big surprise or can you tell me now?”
 
“Um…you can see it when you come over. You're gonna love it!”
 
“I'm sure I will. Thanks bunches, Ter!”
 
“No problem. Here's Andre. Bye. Love you!”
 
“Right back atcha, Terry!”
 
“Auntie Sooooooooooooooooooooooooool Train!” Andre greeted before taking in a few breaths, “Phew! How do they do that on TV?”
 
“Lots of practice, I guess,” Solya answered with a shrug, “You, though, maybe ought to practice more. You sound like you're having an asthma attack.”
 
“No. I'm not,” Andre replied, not getting her sarcasm. Solya grinned.
 
“You being good, kid?”
 
“Yup. I ain't been punished all week! And my report card is good, too. You gonna look at it when you come over again?”
 
“Sure. That's a given.”
 
 
`All week?! He says that like that's something to be proud of. Josie, your wild kids…you poor thing,' Solya contemplated over in with no small amount of humor.
 
 
“You having a good birthday, Auntie Sol?”
 
“It's getting there. The coffee's kicking in, nicely.”
 
“Ewww, that nassie black stuff? You can have it,” he whined in revulsion.
 
“You're too young to truly appreciate the wonders of caffeine, young one.”
 
“Nuh uh. Aishee's my age and she likes it.”
 
“Honey, what she drinks…” Solya started to explain then realized Aishee's little world would crumble—all in the space of a day or two, but, still—if she disclosed that her version of coffee was little more than flat ginger ale in strength. And, she and her brother being so close, Andre would tell her for sure.
 
“Yeah…?” Andre pushed.
 
“Well, let's just say she likes it and she knows how to make it taste…not nasty.”
 
“Oh. Well, okay. I made you somefin for your birthday, too!”
 
“Really?”
 
“Yeah. Me and Aishee put it together. When you gonna come get it?”
 
“Soon. So, is your mother there?”
 
“Yeah. Hold on, `kay?”
 
“Mm hmm.”
 
“Oh, you scared me!” Solya heard Andre squeal in the background seconds before Josie picked up the phone.
 
“I'm gonna kick your ass! Well, maybe tomorrow. For now, Happy Birthday, Sol! You're all grown and sexy, now!”
 
“Okay, that was random. Well, thanks…I think.”
 
“Oh, I figured I'd chew your ear off about falling off the face of the earth on me later. Most likely, you've been bombarded with more than a few messages regarding that over the last week or so.”
 
“Amen, child,” Solya groaned.
 
“Well, for now, since I know the drill with you, Jerrod, and Mr. Lamar, I'll be giving you your gifts at the dinner.”
 
“That will work. Thankies!”
 
“S'Cool. Look, the kids are making one last surprise for you and need adult supervision so I gotta go. Can't wait till the dinner! Love ya!”
 
“Ditto, mushy woman. See you soon. Tell Aishee and Mattheui I said hi, okay?”
 
“Will do. Lata!”
 
“Bye.”
 
 
`So far, so good. No migraine, yet.'
 
 
Just as she started smiling a contented smile the phone rang. It was Jerrod. As she was contemplating answering it, her father came in the room with a triumphant grin and two backpacks.
 
 
`Spoke too soon.'
 
 
Her father went on to tell her how he beat this year and they were going on a nature hike this year. Solya, looking at him like he was crazy for suggesting such a thing in mid-October weather knowing how chilly it was getting outside.
 
 
“Papi…you serious?”
 
“As a heart attack! Let's go! Don't fret, Sunshine, you'll love it!”
 
“Erm…if you say so…” Solya allowed reluctantly.
 
“Trust your old man. You'll never, never, never forget this!”
 
“I agree with that,” she commently dryly as she put on her jacket and eyed the backpack.
 
“Oh, hush! Let's go!” he scoffed before handing her the bag.
 
“Papi…there's nothing in here.”
 
“There's a method to my madness. C'mon.”
 
“Coming…”
 
 
`A hike for my birthday…the man needs coffee in abundance…'
 
 
 
 
 
<(^^<) <(^^)> (>^^)> (>^^<) <(^^<) <(^^)> (>^^)> (>^^<) <(^^<) <(^^)> (>^^)> (>^^<) <(^^<) <(^^)> (>^^)>
 
 
 
 
“That was fun!” Solya relayed to her father again before answering the phone.
 
“Amarante Residence, Solya spea—”
 
“I'm gonna whip your ass, TB!” Jazmin breathed, though more from concern than anger. “I'm gonna take you over my knee and tan your hide!”
 
 
Solya knew this.
 
 
“Wow. That's one hell of a way to greet someone, JJ. Why's everyone barking at me, today?”
 
“You leftededededededed me for a long time, TB! Me missed you!” Jazmin whined.
 
“Sorry. Didn't know you were so co-dependent. Now I know and I'll be more careful,” Solya drawled, trying not to laugh.
 
“You're not funny at all. Really and truly not. You know that?”
 
“Papi said I am. You calling my father a liar?”
 
“Not at all. You're…well, okay, you're a little funny,” Jazmin relented with a smile in her voice.
 
“Um…thanks?”
 
“Anywho, Happy freakin' Birthday, Solya!”
 
“Why, thank you, Jaz! I'm all flattered an' stoof,” Solya returned in a valley girl accent.
 
“I've got a surprise for you, coming up really soon.”
 
“Yeah? What's that?”
 
“Can't tell ya. It'd kinda take the whole surprise aspect out of it, don'tcha think?”
 
“Ah, so…no telling me if I guess correctly, either, Jaz?”
 
“Nope, not at all, so quit bugging me already.”
 
“Yeah, sure…”
 
“So…”
 
“Yes?”
 
“What's up with you going all Quasimodo, lately?”
 
“Pardon?”
 
“You know. Your self-imprisonment over the last two weeks where you didn't call me, your bestest female friend, at all. Nor did you—”
 
“Jaz, I—”
 
“—answer my calls, e-mails, texts, Instant Messages—”
 
“Jazmin, will you jus—”
 
“—or the letter I sent you, Sol. I mean—”
 
“I don't receiving recall a letter, Ja—”
 
“—damn, Sols, that was hurtful. Just kidding. And quit interrupting me, TB. And, yes, I did send you a letter. Baltimore's supposed to be the city that reads—live up to the motto.”
 
“What happened to Bulletmore, Murderland, Jaz?”
 
“Well, yeah…that, too. But, no changing the subject.”
 
“No. Seriously, Jaz, you know Papi or D would've given it to me if it came here. I didn't get it, yet.”
 
“That's what I get for trusting my latest boy toy to handle a simple task. Oh, the shame. Too bad. I sent money, too.”
 
“What?!”
 
“Siiiiiiike!”
 
“I'm gonna strangle you!”
 
“You know you love me.”
 
“Not right now, I don't,” Solya grumbled, her happy balloon deflated, “Don't tease the broke folks, you mean ol' meanie!”
 
“Okay, I'll be nice.”
 
“You sure you're done, now, Senora Dramatico?”
 
“I'm not dramatic. I'm just not a very drab person.”
 
“Um…yeah.”
 
“So, your day's coming to a close soon. Who won this year?”
 
“Papi. He up and kidnapped me for about five hours.”
 
“Wow. Kidnapping. Hilarious!
 
“Yeah. Ain't he a stinker?”
 
“Yes his is…very much so. So, what'd you guys do?”
 
“Well, it was like a nature walk-slash-scavenger hunt and then we had a late lunch at Red Lobster. It was really nice.”
 
“I'd imagine so. Mr. Lamar gets a kick out of spoiling his `Little Sunshine', doesn't he?”
 
“You trying to get straight molly mocked up in here?” Solya threatened before unleashing a roar of a yawn.
 
“Okay, I'll quit. You sound tired.”
 
“I am. I'm gonna take a nap and get ready for the rest of my birthday surprises.”
 
“So, Jerrod decided to catch you at the end of the day? I never thought he'd change the rules of the yearly challenge.”
 
 
And that yearly challenge—to steal Solya away and spoil her with the biggest, best surprise they could muster. Somewhere along the way, the two men would compare notes and decide who'd outdone who and the bragging rights for the year were set in stone. It was `Anything you can do, I can do better' at its best. And a yearly reason for Solya to roll her eyes. Whoever snatched her away first got the right to get her for the full day and usually did. Since it was always assumed that would be the case, the losing party just sucked it up to seeing her the next day.
 
Jerrod used to do this all the time for his younger sister before she succumbed to brain cancer and passed about half a year before he met Solya. She sometimes suspected that was part of the reason he tried so hard to make her birthday so special and, as much as the overabundance of attention embarrassed and frustrated her, Solya did see it as kind of nice, too. Her father and her best friend going through so much to make at least one day of the year beautiful…well, she'd never tell them, but a larger part of her adored them both for it.
 
 
“Well, no, it's still the same. Papi called Jerrod and bragged for half an hour about `having skills' and being `the man' and practically howling “In your face, Domingo!” and I just laughed my ass off, as usual. But, no, Jer's gonna hang out with me tomorrow.”
 
“So then, who…?” Jazmin asked before an interesting thought came to mind, but she decided she'd let Solya explain before she jumped to conclusions.
 
“Jesse. I forgot to tell him. Well, not really forgot so much as didn't really talk to him enough, lately, to let him know.”
 
“Don't I know it. I'm still gonna pinch you good for that little stunt, though I think I understand why—wait! Did you say Jesse?”
 
“Yup. And before you go all “Oh, my GAWD, Sol! Tell me everything!” no, I'm not telling.”
 
“Intolerable cruelty…that's what I'm getting inscribed on you tombstone.”
 
“And yet,” Solya returned with another hearty yawn and a yelp when she pulled her jaw muscle a bit in the action, “You still love me. Damn, that hurt.”
 
“Too bad, too sad…call it Karma.”
 
Yawning again, gingerly working her jaw side to side, Solya walked towards the charger cradle and stretched. “Jazmin, my father just took me on a two mile hike and I'm bushed. To be continued?”
 
“Sure, go to bed, Sols. We'll talk later.”
 
“Yeah,” Solya yawned again, “Be good.”
 
“Who, me? I don't know about that. Boredom does weird things to creative minds such as mine. But, we shall see. Night.”
 
With that, Solya hung up and turned on her heel to walk up the stairs to her room.
 
 
Denise, having heard the part of the conversation that included Jesse, frown in concern. Though she trusted Solya had a great deal of common sense—and a right hook to make a professional boxer leery—she couldn't help how her maternal instincts kicked into hyperdrive at the conversation she overheard. She had to admit that she wasn't 100% sure that this outing was a good idea. She didn't distrust Jesse per se. He'd made a great impression on her after Solya's date which appealed not only to the analyst in her, but the more matronal side was still peaked.
 
This was a late night outing with a guy and she hoped this wasn't one of those deals where a young woman, just knowing they got all the ins and outs about adult life' decided to do something they weren't really prepared to do and wound up way over their heads. As innocent as the situation could sound to most, it had the potential to turn into a sleepover. True, it wouldn't be the first time for the duo but the first time was seen as an accident that could easily happen. Just two kids playing games, joking, not paying attention to the time. It happens to the best of us Denise figured.
 
 
`I ought to trust her more,' she chided herself.
 
 
Deciding to talk to Solya in a couple hours after she rested up, Denise made her way to the living room to look over a few of her patients' files. `Yeah…later.'
 
 
 
 
<(^^<) <(^^)> (>^^)> (>^^<) <(^^<) <(^^)> (>^^)> (>^^<) <(^^<) <(^^)> (>^^)> (>^^<) <(^^<) <(^^)> (>^^)>
 
 
 
 
Solya burrowed into her blanket a little more as the knocking on the door started up again.
 
 
`I need to soundproof my room. Maybe I'll get Jesse to do it for me.'
 
 
Finally tiring of the intrusion of her catnap, Solya sat up to stretch and yawn before grunting loudly enough to reach the person on the other side of the door. The door eased open and Denise poked her head in.
 
 
“Have a nice nap?”
 
Glorious,” Solya carped as she stretched and yawned again.
 
“Well, it has been three and a half hours. If you're still tired, though…”
 
“Three and a half hours?! Oh dip! Company's coming over in a bit,” Solya shrieked as she leapt to her feet and flew over to her closet.
 
“Yeah, that's what I wanted to talk to you about.”
 
“Okay, shoot, D,” Solya called back as she jumped into her jeans.
 
“I overheard a bit of the conversation you and Jazmin were having earlier. I just wanted you to make sure I knew what to expect of the evening.”
 
“Oh yeah. I forgot to tell you and Papi. Well, Jesse was kind of bent out of shape `cause I forgot to tell him my birthday is today and I told him he could get the last smidgen of my day, if that would make him happy. He agreed.”
 
“Ah, I see. I told you should've called him.”
 
“I just knew you'd rub that in.”
 
“That's because you're the smartest daugh—stepdaughter in the world!” Denise gushed, correcting herself at the last minute. She knew Solya loved her but never wanted to overstep her role in her life. `That was a close one.'
 
“You're so observant,” Solya agreed boastfully.
 
“Hmm. What about Jerrod?”
 
“What about him? You know as well as I do that Pops won the yearly thing that they do—he's not coming over till tomo—”
 
There was a ring on the door bell and Solya jumped and looked at her watch. `Only 11 pm…'
 
“Wonder who that is?” Denise asked before turning to leave the room. Solya wasn't dumb and figured, as usual, that Denise was in the know and was therefore teasing her about Jesse.
 
“Jesse? Wow, he's a little early, if it is him.”
 
“You finish getting dressed. I'll get it,” Denise spoke from the hallway.
 
“Wow, these jeans are actually baggy! Awesome! I can wear these with a belt and a long-sleeved shirt,” Solya thought aloud.
 
 
`Tae Bo and basketball does work. PB was right. Go fig. Of course I'm never telling him that.'
 
 
“Solya! Hey! Happy Birthday, girl! Get your arse down here!” Jerrod called up the stairs as Solya was putting on her last sock. So surprised was she to hear that voice that she nearly tripped in the act of putting on her sock.
 
 
Hurriedly finishing getting dressed, she ran out the room and down the steps a few feet before him. She couldn't help the nervous fidgeting as he was one of the people she knew she needed to touch base with the most, but guilt and obligation made for bad motivators. Jerrod offered her a warm smile and quickly closed the distance between them to hug her tight.
 
“Hey, Invisible Woman, try not to disappear on me again, huh?” he whispered in her ear in a tone that was more solemn than playful.
 
“Yeah. I'll try,” she responded in a stifled way, she was kind of winded from the impact and the tightness of his arms, then slowly wrapped her arms around him.
 
“I missed you so much, Sols.”
 
“I…” Solya tried but faltered as the feel of his breath on her ear seemed to create a warm oozing feeling that traveled down her face to her toes.
 
 
`How does he do this to me?'
 
 
Jerrod, realizing he'd been embracing her for a while, and rather tightly at that, let go reluctantly. He'd missed her something terrible and part of him wanted to tell her just that. Of course, he knew he too well and understood fully how flustered and embarassed it would make her. Another part of him wanted to fuss her out for ditching him in the first place. Yes, it did hurt his feelings. He didn't think it was necessary to tell her all that, though. Yet another part wanted to hug her senseless again. He settled for grabbing her lightly by the hand and just smiling at her.
 
When he released her hand, she felt a weight on her palm. It was a silver locket. The same locket she'd been obsessing over since she was 13.
 
 
“Jer…” she breathed as she eyed the locket.
 
 
Her eyes were suspiciously glassy as she shakily tried to loosen the clasp and the effect was…
 
 
`Beautiful…' Jerrod thought to himself as his smile spread further.
 
 
As he opened his mouth to reply, the door rang. Solya looked down at her watch.
 
 
`Crap. It's 11:30 on the dot. Jesse…'
 
 
“I've got it!” Denise called over to the duo, noticing how Solya visibly stiffened.
 
 
Jerrod didn't miss it, either.
 
 
“Sol? What's wrong?”
 
“Um…nothing. It's just, I wasn't expecting you. I mean, I was expecting—”
 
“Jesse!” Denise greeted pleasantly as she opened the door to him.
 
“Yeah…Jesse,” Solya mumbled.
 
“Jesse?” Jerrod repeated in surprise and slight hurt.
 
“Yeah…” Solya repeated, chest tightening as she watched Jerrod's jaw clench when he glanced over at Jesse. Jerrod looked instantly irritated. Upon further reflection of his expression, irritated, but controlled, she recalled her talk with Juan a few weeks back and what he'd told her.
 
 
“Josie's got a wild theory, man.”
 
“Oh my… Miss Soap Opera Digest? Okay, I'll bite. What'd she say?”
 
“Jerrod's jealous,” Solya laugher boisterously, but sobered soon enough at the silence on the other end.“Um…Juan?”
 
“Well, in a way, she may have a valid point, Sol.”
 
“Ohhell—notyou, too!” Solya grumbled in frustration.
 
“Hear me out?”
 
“Alright, Juan—enlighten me,” Solya sighed.
 
“Well,thinkabout it. Before Jer was old or mature enough to have any interest in the opposite sex, Jerrod hadyou, was alwayswithyou and always,alwayskept serious tabs on you. Think back to when you met Crazy, Sol. Ever notice how stiff he got when Larry got any alone time with you—friendly though it may have been?”
 
“Uh…huh?”
 
“Oh. Maybe youdidn't. Well, he's always been extremely protective of you; for yourfeelings, your peace of mind and your safety.”
 
“Well…yeah…”
 
“So, considering how he met you to start, how is it you don't get why he nearly growled every time Larry got near ya? I think it's fairly obvious.”
 
“Sorry to be so obtuse, Juan, but I don't.”
 
Juan sighed. “He doesn't want anyone to hurt you—period. And letting new people into your life, well, he felt he had to approve…”
 
 
`Nah…Jer's not like that.'
 
 
Jerrod's light scoffing brought her attention back to him. He looked generally cordial but she could sense an underlying irritation.
 
 
“Jer?”
 
“I see,” he said with as genuine smile as he could gather then he reached down to kiss her cheek. “Happy Birthday, Solya.”
 
“Thanks, Jerrod. This locket's so…it's what I've…thank you,” Solya stammered as she took turns eyeing the locket she still couldn't unfasten and Jerrod.
 
 
He finally had mercy on her and her trembling hands and opened it up, stepping around her to put it on her. Placing his hand on the locket before raising it to his lips and kissing it, he smiled.
 
 
“Make sure to have a good time,” Jerrod whispered before turning and walking over to Denise to kiss her cheek as well.
 
“I w-want you to meet Jesse,” Solya called out before turning her gaze to Jesse.
 
 
On his end, he was quietly observing things but made no outward expressions to aid her in figuring out if he felt as awkward as she did.
 
 
“Nice to meet you, Jesse,” Jerrod greeted and extending his hand to shake. Jesse gave
 
Jerrod a small smile and shook his hand. “Pleasure.”
 
“If you'll excuse me, then…” Jerrod announced as he brushed past Jesse and left the apartment.
 
 
Denise was silent, for once.
 
 
Solya was contemplative.
 
 
Jesse cut the silence as he extended his hand to take Solya's and hopefully snap everyone out of the suddenly stilted atmosphere that filled the room.
 
 
“Cuteness. Um…Happy Birthday?”
 
 
 
 
 
A/N: Shirritos is a silly term my cousin and I use to say shit without cursing…also because we thought of the generally off smell Dorittos have and how the after affect of those chips and bad breath, together, have on an outsider's nose. **runs for bucket in memory**
 
I've been asked how to pronounce Gianni's name before and forgot to reply. Sorry. It's as simple as saying `Johnny', believe it or not.
 
The `B&tN' website is under construction and thanks, kittyluvr1, for your suggestions. Reader imput matters a lot and helps more than you know! I'll let you all know when it's up and running.
 
**Glomps my wonderful Beta for designing it for me in the first place**