Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Butterflies & The Net ❯ Chapter 16: Coaxed Out of the Cocoon ( Chapter 16 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Butterflies & the Net
by iloveanimecartoons
Genre(s): Psychological/Angst/Drama/Romance
Rating: T
Latest Addition:
April 23, 2008
 
 
 
Chapter 16: CoaxedOut of the Cocoon
 
Whining and butting Jesse in the back of his knee, Kenny tried to get his attention. Bending down to pet the dog behind the ears, Jesse sighed.
 
“Calm down, boy. It's okay.”
 
And with that, Jesse watched her cab drive off until it was a faintly yellow dot in the darkness. Wrapping the leash around his wrist more securely, he urged Kenny back to house patiently.
 
“Yeah, little man, I miss her already, too. Don't worry, she'll be back soon.”
 
Locking the door behind himself; Jesse lead Kenny into the den and his doggie bed. Smiling, he settled down on the couch and waited for Solya to call.
 
 
<(^^<) <(^^)> (>^^)> (>^^<) <(^^<) <(^^)> (>^^)> (>^^<) <(^^<) <(^^)> (>^^)> (>^^<) <(^^<) <(^^)> (>^^)>
 
 
Grabbing her change from the cab driver and wishing him a good night, Solya strolled up the steps to her apartment complex. Her cheesy grin was hard to repress but she tried her damnedest knowing D would have a field day picking with her about the gifts from her `boyfriend' and her reactions, thereof.
 
“I swear D needs a hobby sometimes.”
 
The elevator opened as she walked up to it and she greeted the person getting off before entering. Pressing the button of her floor, she thought back to the afternoon she shared with her…well, what was Jesse?
 
`He's…cool. Yeah, that's it,' Solya reasoned to herself. To be labeled any higher at this point in their acquaintanceship was saying too much of it.
 
He'd given her so much already and now…
 
“A puppy! Well, a dog but…he's so little and cute! My little Bruiser!” Solya shrieked to herself as she wrapped her arms around herself in an entirely giddy way.
 
The elevator dinged and another resident got in. Solya curbed her enthusiasm and fashioned her face in a neutral mug but inwardly did back flips. The afternoon was just right.
 
`I still can't believe he kissed me—forehead or no.'
 
That odd wave of heat ran across her neck and up her face again and she grimaced. Finally reaching her floor, she took a moment to stretch before coming up to her door and unlocking it.
 
“Is that you, Sunshine!” Lamar called from the kitchen.
 
“Yeah, Papi! Made it home in one piece! Where are ya?”
 
“I'm in the kitchen. Give me a sec and I'll meet ya.”
 
“No, stay there. I want some juice, anyway.”
 
“Okay. By the way, are you in the mood for one of my concoctions tonight?”
 
“Um, Papi, I dunno…your Prune Paradise juice was…a little…”
 
“Too sweet?” he offered when Solya seemed lost for words.
 
“Uh…that's one way to put it, Papi—let's just say prune, orange, pomegranate and grape juice don't mix.”
 
“Ya gotta admit though, Solya, you're more regular than you've ever been.”
 
“Well, thank goodness I didn't have anywhere to go that day.”
 
Hey!” Lamar whined in mock-outrage.
 
“Well…”
 
“Yeah, yeah…come on in and have your juice, little girl.”
 
Eyeing the blender full of some juice and/or juice and veggie mix her father was pouring in a cup, Solya shuddered. “On second thought, I'll just drink water.
 
“Coward!” Lamar scoffed.
 
“Mad scientist,” she scoffed back.
 
When he pouted, she leaned into him and gave him what was meant to be a quick squeeze. Grinning warmly, he enclosed Solya in a warm hug and kissed her on the temple. Giving him his moment, Solya leaned into him further and sighed as he rocked her.
 
./' You are my Sunshine
./' My only Sunshi—
 
“Eh eh, Papi—let's not go there,” Solya protested with a chuckle.
 
“But, you are,” he insisted.
 
“Yup. I know. You'll never let me forget it, either.”
 
“And, I can sing, too.”
 
“Moderately non-eardrum bursting quality at it's best.”
 
“You're so sweeeeeet,” Lamar cooed sarcastically as he squeezed her a little tighter.
 
“Yanno, Papi, I'm a fan of those ribs you're squeezing.”
 
“Oh. Really.”
 
“Yes. Really,” she answered back then came to attention. “Papi, what time is it?”
 
“Um, almost 11:00—”
 
“Why'd ya wanna know, Sols?” Denise cut in as she entered the kitchen, her face innocent—as usual, too innocent, “Gotta touch base with special beaux?”
 
D! Quit it!” Solya moaned in irritation. “Papi, make her sto-o-op!”
 
“I'm just saying…” Denise reasoned with her arms held out in a peaceful display.
 
“Well, yeah, I probably should give him a quick call—upstairs,” Solya grumbled as Denise, grinning like a Cheshire cat, passed her the phone receiver.
 
“What about that water?” Lamar asked absently.
 
“I'm cool. See you guys later. Good night.”
 
They both said their good nights to Solya and she made her way up to her room.
 
After undressing and donning her nightshirt, Solya sat down on her bed and dialed Jesse.
 
`Hmmm. It's 11:21—not too shabby.”
 
He picked up on the 3rd ring. “Hey, Cuteness! I was wondering when you'd call me.”
 
“My bad. My father wanted to bond or some such…anyway, I just jumped out of my clothes and got comfy. How's our boy?”
 
“Kenny? He's good. Whining a little but he'll be used to my house soon enough.”
 
“That's good. Um, seriously, Jesse…I'm just so…what I meant to say was…thanks again! Kenny's awesome alone but then, with the other gifts and the dinner and…everything. Hell, you even paid my way there and back…” Solya trailed off, surprised she was rambling so.
 
`Is this what it's like to feel…special?'
 
“It's all good. Really. I enjoyed the company—I always enjoy your company.”
 
I-I do…too.”
 
“Well, good! Plus, I had 18 years of birthdays to make up for—”
 
“Seven, you mean; we've only know each other since Junior High, Jess,” Solya adjusted, standing to pace her room.
 
“Well, go Miss Mathematician! Okay, seven years then. Either way, that's just the tip of the iceberg. Next year'll be better. Just you wait!”
 
“Oh? And how do you know I'll be able to continue entertaining your presence at that time?”
 
“Oh, you will,” Jesse answered easily.
 
“Oh?”
 
“Yup!”
 
“And, why is that?”
 
“Many reasons.”
 
Name five,” Solya challenged. `A cocky little…'
 
“I'm cool.”
 
“So you say, so you say…”
 
“You like my little brother.”
 
“G's alright…”
 
“I'm sexy.”
 
“Conceited, are we?”
 
“Confident.”
 
“Mmmhmmm, whatev. That's three, Jesse. What else ya got?”
 
“Kenny.”
 
“Oh, damn. That's hitting below the belt, man.”
 
“Well…”
 
“One more to go.”
 
“You like me.”
 
Solya's throat locked up and she suddenly needed to sit down. “W-what?
 
“Well, ya do. I can't blame ya though, Cuteness. I am pretty good company.”
 
“Um…uh…uh huh.” was all she could manage. Where was he going with this? Was he assuming she had feelings for him?
 
“Yeah, I like you, too! I think we're like, oh, I dunno, reacquainted friends or something. It has been about six years since we've been in touch. Missed ya.”
Oh. Friends. He meant friends. Phew!
 
Collecting her wits, Solya exhaled slowly and let out a nervous giggle—just why she was so flustered all of a sudden, she didn't know—and relaxed. “Friends?”
 
“Well, yeah; or at least on friendly terms. Don't you agree?”
 
“Um…sure. Friendly terms,” Solya agreed. Clearing her throat, she looked over to her alarm clock and checked the time. `Almost 11:45 already. I'm beat. Better call this call quits.'
 
Jesse beat her to it.
 
“Solya, I've got a presentation tomorrow so I'm gonna settle Kenny in for the night and hit the hay. Thanks for the call. I'll see you Saturday. Hell, I'll see ya Sunday, too, won't I?”
 
“Oh yeah, that's right! How `bout that! Well, I've got an appointment tomorrow so I need to get ready for that, too. Good night. Pet Kenny for me.”
 
“Roger Wilko, good buddy!”
 
“Yeah, you need sleep,” Solya giggled, “Lata, Jesse.”
 
“Night, Cuteness.”
 
 
<(^^<) <(^^)> (>^^)> (>^^<) <(^^<) <(^^)> (>^^)> (>^^<) <(^^<) <(^^)> (>^^)> (>^^<) <(^^<) <(^^)> (>^^)>
 
 
Meanwhile, in a neighborhood a number of blocks away, two friends sat and meditated. Neither knew how long they stared, rather dumbfounded, at their respective receivers—Jazmin, at her cell and Jerrod, at his cordless—after Solya promptly hung up, ending the call. 
 
Jazmin, on her end, was more than surprised, if not a little hurt, by Solya's clear dismissal.  And Jerrod…  Confused, further impatient and growing more irritated by the day, not to mention concerned, just mouthed unheard words in disbelief. 
 
Finally, after a near muted evening of DVDs, a few video games, and takeout Chinese, Jazmin broke the silence. Well…that was…yeah.”
 
“You can say that again. I mean, what the hell's up with that girl? I know she's going through, you know she's going through—why the hell won't she talk to me—us?”
 
“I've been studying this in class, recently. Heh! Finally, the old and stodgy studies of the human mind in practical use, huh, Jer?”
 
“Whatever works, right? So, what'd ya find out.”
 
Well, in practical terms, it's like…” Jazmin trailed off, grasping for a term then, with a snap, resumed her explanation. “It's like disassociation and isolation—yeah! Those are the terms I was looking for. You told me that she had a major change with her therapist leaving, Right?”
 
“Right. Dr. Busch was her name. Solya's been seeing her since she was 13, I think.
 
“Well, from what I remember of Solya, separations are hard. Remember how she kept saying she was gonna take up psychology with me so we could go to the same college?”
 
“Yeah, I do. But we both know art and writing have always been her things. She was really broken up for about two months after you left. But, even then, she came to me, to Josie, and her folks.”
 
“True, but think about it. Really think about it. We're her best friends, true, but there's things that I'm sure we don't even know. Things Solya, like most people, don't discuss with everyone. Once Solya started really trusting her therapist, letting her in and see all those deep, dark, scary and hurtful places inside her—and, in that, finally seeing them for what the really were—and let her deal with them, she became more essential than I believe Solya credited at the time.”
 
“I hear you, Jaz. I swear I do. But, still, it's still irritating.”
 
“It's a defense mechanism. Pushing people away is her way of trying to stand on her own two feet and deal with things on her own. It doesn't mean she will of won't succeed, Jer; it just means, somewhere between pride and a willingness to be in control of a situation that's out of her control, she's coping in her own way.”
 
Still.”
 
“I feel you, Jerrod. But, I feel Solya, too. Your need to protect and her wish to deflect—for a time. I get both of you. Call it the curse of the mental health textbooks.”
 
Jerrod let out a small but sincere chuckle at that. “Yeah.”
 
“As much as we may both want to push her for an explanation, we shouldn't. She'll most likely resent us for it. But, she doesn't mean any harm, so don't be mad at her.”
 
“I'm not mad with her. Well, not really. It's just...I'm just…just…”
 
“Hurt?” Jazmin offered gently, placing a comforting arm around his shoulder.
 
“Well, I don't know. Maybe. But, why? Why's she acting like this—pushing us away? She knows we're her best friends and, outside of Mr. Lamar and D, we're the ones she always comes to. Why the change, now?”
 
“You know Solya, Jer. Stubborn, proud, self-sufficient and damned protective about her feelings—even if she knows we can see right through them.”
 
Jerrod let out a frustrated breath and nodded. He knew that. More than anyone, he knew that Solya would always try to bear her own problems to the very end. And then, when she could no longer handle things on her own, she'd confide in one of them.
 
“But, why? If she'd just talk to us—anyone—in the beginning, then…”
 
“Then you could save her?” Jazmin finishing his unspoken thought. Yes, she knew. They—Jerrod and her—were Solya's best friends but Jesse would always have a slightly stronger, more in-depth bond with Solya than she knew she ever would. Yet, she never envied that fact. It was the way things were. Jerrod met her first and literally took care of her; without Solya ever saying it, he became her sanctuary or sorts, leaving Jazmin at a close second.
 
“I'm not a savior, I'm just me.”
 
“Yet and still…”
 
“I'm…this is really frustrating.”
 
“I know, but stewing over it won't really help, will it? Tell me about `The Annual Tug of War' again—that was hellafunny!”
 
“No way, woman! You're not laughing your ass off at me again,” Jerrod frowned.
 
“I did not! Well, not that much!” Jazmin tried to lie, failing miserably when she fizzled into a round of giggles.
 
See?
 
“Sorry,” Jazmin tried again, biting the inside of her cheek to keep from blurting out another blast of laughter. After a few seconds of self-composition, she managed to choke back most of the humor. “Okay, no more. Tell me about the locket. You did give it to her, didn't you?”
 
“Yeah. I did.”
 
The locket.
 
The locket that he had been saving up to get his little sister Lanaya when she was diagnosed with brain cancer.  He was about 40% there in savings when she died and he pretty much gave up on it. He never realized, in his depression, that he never touched the money.  He met Solya the following year and instantly took to her.  The resemblance was uncanny.  Personality-wise, eye color, hair, nose, disposition, Solya wasn't a dead ringer but was pretty darn close, albeit a few years older…only his little sister idolized him where Solya wasn't open with her affections in that way. 
 
In many ways, Solya helped him get over his mourning of his sister; almost automatically--unconsciously--he decided he'd look out for her just like he did for Lanaya.  He decided, when he could afford it, he'd buy the locket and give it to Solya.  That decided, he made a deal with the owner of the shop to give him $10 a week—$20, when he could—till he paid him off.  That and odd chores and favors with the owner kept the agreement solid, even when others offered more to purchase it.  It was a beautiful piece, a one of a kind creation and he had to have it.  It embodied everything that defined his and Solya's relationship.  A beautiful locket with two hands clasped etched into the silver on one side and two people smiling at each other, the male slightly higher than the female, etched on the back.  To him, it represented his little sister who tagged along everywhere with him.  Being a protective older brother, he'd always hold her hand wherever they went.  Plus, she had this habit of staring him in the eyes at the drop of a hat in staring contests.  She'd make these goofy faces and he'd laugh seconds before blinking, ending the game.  He missed her.  A lot.
 
Remembering back to the day Solya met him in front of the jewelry store as he was eyeing the piece through the glass, he smiled. She badgered him until he finally told her he was saving it for someone special and she beamed a teasing grin at before hassling him about a mystery girlfriend he didn't tell her about. He never told her it was for her but could tell, as the years went by and they'd stroll by only to slow their gait to stare through the glass, she admired the piece nearly as much as he did.
 
`For Solya…'
 
He smiled.  He was the only one out of the group she'd let hold her hand for any amount of time.  And she was so forthright and honest.  When she spoke, you got her full attention and if you really paid attention, you could read all her emotions in her eyes.  He wasn't sure he believed in reincarnation--to him, it almost seemed hokey--but he had to admit, while Solya was most certainly her own person, she carried so many traits of his late sister that it was almost a sweet pain.  He still missed her a lot—his first best friend—but, Solya filled that gap in his heart and more. 
 
She was special to him.  
 
“And,” Jazmin prodded gently when he paused.
 
“She loved it. I knew she would. Solya's never been much for jewelry but, I just knew she would. Got all misty, too—oh, if only I had a camera phone!”
 
"You wouldn't!”
 
“No. I wouldn't.”
 
“Good.”
 
"She missed her appointment last week. D told me she was 'experiencing technical difficulties' and left it there."
 
"And you didn't pry, Jerrod Domingo."
 
"Not when I have a pretty good idea what those 'technical difficulties' where," Jerrod answered, sliding Jazmin a knowing glance.
 
"Wha--o-oh! I see! Yes, wise move on your part, Jer. So, you meeting her tomorrow?"
 
"That's the plan. I just hope it's okay."
 
"It's kind of a given with you two, right? I don't really see any problem with it."
 
"I hope not...." Jerrod mumbled with a slight grimace, "You coming?"
 
"Nah. That's your thing with her. I'll be here a few more days and I'll see her tomorrow--the day after that, too, now that I think of it."
 
"Quite right! Well, I'm beat. Gonna hit the hay, Jaz. All your sleepover gear's in the pantry. Need anything else?"
 
"Nah. Gonna veg out on old horror flicks in the living room. Sleep tight."
 
"You, too."
 
 
<(^^<) <(^^)> (>^^)> (>^^<) <(^^<) <(^^)> (>^^)> (>^^<) <(^^<) <(^^)> (>^^)> (>^^<) <(^^<) <(^^)> (>^^)>
 
 
"Are you planning on sleeping all day, Sols?" Denise whispered in Solya's ear as she poked her playfully in the ribs.
 
"Oooooh, that sounds so peachy! Yes, please!" Solya breathed into her pillow.
 
"None of that, chickadee--up and at 'em. Gotta meet your new therapist today, remember?"
 
A long groan answered that question for Denise and reluctantly, Solya rolled out of bed and sat up, scratching her chest. Looking up groggily at Denise, she frowned in mild irritation. "Okay, okay...I'm up. Give me a little privacy, D."
 
"Yes'm! I'm making coffee, want so--? Dumb question! See you at the percolator, Sunshine!"
 
"Hey! Don't you start that, D--Papi does it enough for the both of ya."
 
"Okay, I'll be good...sorta." With an impish grin, Denise ducked Solya's throw pillow and ran out of the room giggling.
 
"I've said it before and I'll say it again...that woman needs a hobby." Laughing to herself, Solya got off to do her morning toilette. Just as she was spitting out her mouthwash, the phone rang.
 
"Hey, Solya! My hands are full right now--get that?" Denise called up the stairs.
 
"Yeah. Okay," Solya called back down. Wiping her mouth on a hand towel, she made her way to the hall phone and picked up on the fourth ring. “Amarante Resi—”
 
“Sister Solya!  What up, playa?”
 
Shakey?
 
“One and the same!”
 
SHAKEY!!!  What up, pimp!  The hell you been, man?”
 
“Solya, the lost Weather Girl!”
 
“Aw, fuck you, Shakey” Solya growled playfully, choking back a laugh with supreme effort.
 
“A'ight, I'll be good…for all of five minutes,” he pledged with a 2-fingered salute she couldn't see.
 
“So?  Where have ya been, man?  You pulled a bigger disappearing act than Juan on us!”
 
“Everywhere.  Literally.  Miss you and the peeps!  I'll tell you all about it when we meet up with everyone again.  Can't wait to see everyone at the cards tourney; haven't stomped set you in ages.  How is Juan, anyway?”
 
“Lost in love, as usual.  That man gives `Whip Appeal' a whole new meaning,” Solya answered with a sigh.
 
“Yep, sounds like Juan, alright.”
 
“Yep.  So, you keeping your nose clean?”
 
“Whenever a tissue's available…”
 
“You know what I mean, you big booty hole!”
 
“No you did not just go all `pre-teen' on me with that…that…bigbooty hole, Sols?”
 
“Okay, that's crew vernacular and you know it but, I digress.  Have you been a good boy, Shakey?” she just chortled, ending with a snort.
 
“Well, I've been okay, I guess.  Well, I did deck my brother yesterday.”
 
“You're so violent.”
 
“You're one to talk and, besides, he called me the N word!”
 
What?!” Solya exclaimed in shock. 
 
Shakey—Raymund Weekes—was African-American and was adopted into the family he spoke of, an all-Caucasian family.  Thinking on the relationship Shakey had with his brother, Solya only knew them to be average as most brothers went.  They played around, fussed and fought occasionally, but they were pretty tight, otherwise. 
 
`The `N' word?  No way…'
 
“Yeah…nerd!  I ain't no nerd, man,” Shakey defended with his nose up in the air—quite a look on the usually flamboyant and laid-back young man—and exhaled breathily, “I'm just not a big dummy.”
 
“Phew,” Solya whispered, glad it wasn't a racist slur on his brother's part.  Shakey may be laid back but he had one hell of a temper when pushed too far.  And that word was definitely too far.
 
"By the way, Sols, Happy Belated! I've got something pretty cool for ya. Sorry I took so long to get in touch with you."
 
"Don't sweat it. You know I don't."
 
"Amen to that. Still, it's been about...what? Two years?"
 
"Something like that. Missed ya much, Shakes! So, Josie's having a card tourney tomorrow--up for it?"
 
"A chance to trounce you and Jer? Hell yeah!" he answered enthusiastically.
 
"Well, if the setup warrants it, sure. So, when are we gonna see ya?"
 
"Probably tomorrow. Look, I've gotta go for now. Using my partner in crime's celly. Just wanted to touch base with my girl. Save this number and call me back either tonight or tomorrow, alright?"
 
"Will do. I'll call back soon!" Solya answered, smile apparent in her tone.
 
Shakey grinned and blew her a kiss and hung up.
 
"Hey!" Solya grumbled then laughed. 'That Shakey's too much.'
 
"Come on and get caffeinated with me, Solya! You'll need it if you're gonna break in your new head shrinker properly," Denise called up as Solya set the phone back in the cradle.
 
"Coming!" Solya assured her as she made her way to the stairs.
 
Breakfast was pretty peaceful and, as most 1 on 1 meals with Denise, sprinkled with humor and occasional playful teasing. Subjects mostly stemmed from Jesse and her gifts and the fact that he agreed to keep her dog for her. Solya was almost sorry she mentioned it when Denise started shooting her conspiratorial looks over her coffee mug but Denise finally relented and quieted down to eat her food.
 
By the time Solya was on her third cup of coffee and nearly done her meal, her father, practically crawling in the room to stumble over to the coffee pot, grumbled a nearly indistinguishable "G'Mo'nin'" and slumped in the chair next to Solya. Upon asking her father what late night activities he was involved in that had him looking like death warmed over, Denise suddenly became very interested in the buttering of his toast and her father shot her a smug, if not somewhat disturbing grin. Deciding she didn't want to know, she took one more bite of melon and dumped the rest of her meal in the trash compactor muttering about the hentais' in her life.
 
Time went much too fast, thanks to her extended sleep into the last morning hours. With no enthusiasm whatsoever, Solya made her way to the clinic she'd been using since age 12, resigned to '45 minutes of hell'. Her father and Denise offered to come with her but she declined. If she had to stomach a new therapist, she'd rather not leave anything open to the parental units she didn't want known--including a stinky attitude she no doubt wouldn't be able to hide. Besides, she was 18, now. Legally, she was able to keep as much of her sessions private as she liked. Part of her felt a little surprised when she walked in and saw Jerrod sitting in the waiting area waiting for her, but then she just shrugged and went along with it. She'd never told him he couldn't come with her anymore and it was the norm, even if he hadn't met her at the house and walked with her as usual. His casual smirk and quick hug set them back on the path of normalcy.
 
'I guess I've been out of touch more than I thought I was. Geez, I suck,' she berated herself, deciding to commit herself to spending some alone time with Jerrod and Jazmin really soon.
 
At first, inwardly grimacing at the supposed inquisition she expected, she was pleasantly surprised to receive general conversation and updates on Jazmin's studies and newest string of 'Adventures in Campus Life.' Sooner than she liked, the receptionist called her to the room she, for the next six and a half months would have to deem 'Dr. Zayne's Domain'. She shuddered and stood up, turning to Jesse with beseeching eyes. He read her intent but just patted her on the back and gave her a friendly push and told her to "Go let the newbie pick her brain, already." With a punch to his upper arm and a raspberry, Solya trooped into the office, shoulders straight and head high.
 
Well, that's how things started out, anyway...
 
Nearly an hour later, Solya came out of the office the picture of righteous indignation. For nearly three minutes, she stood before the water fountain, pushing the button and watching the water swirl down the drain. Her face was hot, her back was stiff, her chest tight but bearable. Jerrod, knowing a potential explosion when he saw one, stood by her side and waited. Finally, she took a few sips and stepped away. Jerrod lifted a questioning brow.
 
"The. Bitch. Must. Die," Solya ground out as calmly as she possibly could.
 
"So, not a generally pleasant session, huh?" Jerrod surmised.
 
"Understatement."
 
"Wanna talk about it?"
 
"No. Did enough talking in there. Want beer. A six pack. Sound like a plan?"
 
"Not if you're planning to go home tonight, Sols."
 
"Okay," Solya agreed. She called home on her cell and asked if she could stay the night at Josie's house. Permission granted, they left the clinic and made their way to one of the only two liquor stores they frequented, mainly because they were never carded. Solya drowned her frustrations in 4 light beers and a couple hands of Tonk. Winning every hand did much to lighten her mood, that and Jerrod not bringing the subject back up. As the sun started to set, Jerrod walked Solya to Josie's house and walked back home.
 
Thinking of Josie's kids brought a grin to Solya's face. 'Never a dull moment here.' Solya figured as she rang the doorbell, 'Besides, there's no distraction like those three tykes.' Ringing the doorbell again, she grinned and waited.
 
 
<(^^<) <(^^)> (>^^)> (>^^<) <(^^<) <(^^)> (>^^)> (>^^<) <(^^<) <(^^)> (>^^)> (>^^<) <(^^<) <(^^)> (>^^)>
 
 
“Are you gonna spend the night, Auntie Sol?” Andre inquired as he wrapped his arms around her leg.
 
“That was the plan, little man.”
 
A chorus of “Yay” erupted and Josie smiled and rolled her eyes.  Solya looked down at her leg and giggled at the sight of her entrapped thigh and the happy little leech currently hanging off it.  Her eyes spanned to the other side of the room where Aishee and Terry were dancing and jumping around happily.
 
`Ritalin, anyone?'
 
“You kids act like you haven't seen her in weeks and…” Josie sighed, trailing off when she realized that, in fact, they pretty much hadn't.
 
“Well, it was too long,” Aishee pouted, turning puppy dog eyes on Solya. “You missed my field trip, too.  You missed the school bus bumps and everything.”
 
“Um, school bus bumps?” Josie asked.
 
“You remember, Josie.  When we were little and sat in the back of the bus to catch all the bumps so it could toss us up in the air 2 feet,” Solya explained.
 
“Oh, yeah, now I remember.  Those were the days, huh?  We could find fun anywhere, couldn't we?”
 
“Where were you all this time?  We missededed you!” Aishee pouted.
 
“Yeah! And you never even called us that much either,” Terry added in.
 
Dag, guys. Y'all are spoiled. Geez, give me a minute to miss ya!” Solya chuckled.
 
“Alright, Apple Scrapple, lemme go, will ya?” Solya mock-grouched before giving her Andre a quick squeeze.
 
“Auntie Sol! Auntie Sol! I did good!” Terry exclaimed nearly bouncing with pride.
 
“S'that a fact? Okay, hit me, what'dya do so well?”
 
“I got a gold star and a grape scent pencil as a prize for my story. We had to write a fictional story using verbs, nouns, adjectives and advebs—and we had to be creative.”
 
Let's here this award winning piece of fiction, then,” Solya suggested as she stretched out on the sofa to get comfortable.
 
“Yeah!” Terry cheered with a whoop. “Here we go…”
 
In the small town of Havre De Grace City, there lived a young boy name Tom.  Tom had a job delivering mattresses to all the citizen of the town.  He would ride his U-Haul Truck really fast and throw them right on the porches.  He had to finish his route by 8:00 am, and he was always finished delivering them by 7:59 on the dot.
 
On day, while Tom was on his route, he saw some friends playing freeze tag.  He loved to play, so he decided to stop.
 
“Hey, it's Tom!” shouted one of his friends.  All the kids skipped with excitement.  “Yeah, now we can play a exciting game; we were short one person for our team. 
 
Tom was so excited too.  He hadn't had a chance to play much since he began his route.  He put down his bag and began to play, even though he still had one more delivery to make.
 
The kids played the game and had lots of Gatorade.  When it was all finished, Tom picked up his bag and looked at it with panic.
 
“Great Gizzards,” cried Tom, “I never finished my route!”  Tom looked at his agenda and saw it was five minutes until 8:00.  Tom got on his U-Haul Truck and rode faster than her ever had before.
 
Tom fled up the doorstep of Mrs. Kupperman's house at 8:00 on the nose.  “Hey, thanks, Tom,” said Mrs. Kupperman.  “I was just stepping outside to get my mattress.”
 
Tom was flattered, but he swore he would never again procrastinate until his route was completed.
 
“Theeeeeeee End!” Terry concluded dramatically with a low bow.  High pitched whistles and Bravos filled the air as Terry's audience clapped and cheered, Solya still chuckling over the mattress delivery part.
 
Well...that was certainly, um…creative,” Solya attempting not to laugh at the creative license used in his fiction. Clearing her throat in a rather pronounced way and coughing to cover a giggle, she wet on. “Heh. Mattresses, huh?”
 
“Well, they were nouns and Miss Sharp did say to be creative…” Terry reasoned, still beaming.
 
“And creative you were, little man. Gold star, huh?”
 
“Yep!”
 
“Good for you! Gimme five!”
 
Terry gave Solya a High 5 and turned to beam at his mother, eyebrow arching as he caught her composure crack—then she guffawed—loudly. “Mamiiiiiiiii, don't laugh. Auntie Sol said it was good,” he whined.
 
“I'm sorry, honey,” Josie chucked. “It was comical at parts.”
 
“Aw, give the kid a break, Josie. Quit laughing. It's contageous,” Solya reprimanded as best she could as she stifled her own laughter in face of Josie's fit of laughter.
 
S-sorry. Sorry, sorry, sorry, mijo. I'm still laughing off of “Good Gizzards”, guys,” Josie chortled helplessly.
 
“That's “Great Gizzards”, Mami,” Andre corrected.
 
“So it is…thanks for the revision, baby,” Josie accepted then leaned down to kiss her son's forehead.
 
“What's a revision?”
 
“Um…you fixed it, baby.”
 
“Oh.  Goodie!”
 
“Auntie Sol!  We gonna give your birthday gifts, now?” Aishee asked hopefully.
 
“Um, sure, if your mother says so,” Solya figured.
 
Pleading eyes looked to Josie and, with a smile, she nodded her assent.  Three squealing blurs raced out of the living room at once.  Solya stared at the retreating children then turned an amused eye to Josie.
 
“You don't have to say it.  I know my rugrats are little balls of sugar.”
 
“Yes.  You read my mind perfectly,” Solya admitted easily.
 
“But, they're all really excited.  They've spent over a week and most of their allowance on you and they've been bugging me to death to get you over here for about a week and a half.”
 
“Yeah, well…” Solya sighed, apprehension curling up her spine in anticipation of the assumed line of questioning.  She only hoped Josie would skirt around the subject.  Turning fully to Josie's suddenly concerned looking gaze, her stomach lurched.
 
`Please don't ask me about it, Jos.'
 
“Where…?” Josie started, trailing off at the suddenly guarded expression on her friend's face, “Um, h-have a seat.  It's a lot to take in as the kids went a little birthday gaga for ya, hon.”
 
Solya nodded stiffly and sat down.
 
`Phew!  You rock, Josie!'
 
“Honey, I'm home!” Mattheui called into the kitchen.
 
“In here, baby!” Josie called back.  “Solya's here, too!”
 
"Hey, Sols! Ya stickin' around tonight?" Mattheui asked as he entered the living room loosening his tie.
 
"Daddy!" Aishee squealed as she ran at him. He picked her up and swung her around and she squealed happily. Solya rolled her eyes and chuckled.
 
The rest of the evening was spent with the children showing her gifts--a piñata filled with sugar free candy, two oversized tee shirts designed by Terry--one Dallas Cowboys one and one that said 'Me and my peeps' with baby chicks on it, and a gift card to The Olive Garden. Eventually, the kids ran out of steam, as did the adults trying to keep up with them and they all parted ways to hit the hay. Solya decided that this day was good, refreshing and, outside of her disastrous session, needed. Yes, it was truly time to come out of her shell and...for once, she was ready.
 
 
A/N: Yes, I am alive. LOL! And I can't apologize ENOUGH for such a lengthy delay, folks. Life's been trying, lately and all and getting this finished and processed was, well, a process. I hope this chapter lives up to all the effort and time invested. FYI, I write poetry in addition to this story—that's not a plug; I just wanted to mention it so you know that this story, while very much important to me, it's just one of a couple things I do online. I apologize if I'm not always prompt but I will try my best in the future to get at least two chapters a month. Any more, I can't necessarilly promise. I hope all the moms had a great Mothers Day! For those who stuck with me, I bow humbly in thanks. Lata!