Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Caffeine Rush ❯ Chapter 1

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Caffeine Rush
“Shnot,” Rain mumbled as she ran across the thankfully calm street towards the subway, “Shnot, shnot, shnot!” She had woken up this morning to discover that the batteries in her alarm clock had died during the night, which meant she was now impossibly late. She had quickly thrown on some clothes—failing to notice that nothing she wore matched--and started her mad dash to work, stopping briefly to get a cup of her favorite coffee at Starbucks. She could not believe how late she was. She was so late she was beginning to question why she was even going in the first place. `Is there really any point?' she thought to herself as she ran towards the mass of people on the sidewalk, swerving constantly to avoid running into them. She reached the bottom of the stairs, flew around the corner, and shrieked as she ran into what appeared to be a wall.
 
“Watch where you're going, wench!” said the man she'd collided with. He growled as the hot liquid scorched his skin through his midnight blue Armani suit. “Do you have any—Rain?”
 
Rain looked up from her newfound position on the floor, her shirt plastered to her chest, and gasped when she saw the deep golden eyes and platinum blonde hair she would recognize anywhere . “Kira?”
 
This was the last place she'd expected to see her former boss. Even though she'd been unbelievably attracted to him--both for his body and somewhat hidden sense of humor--he had been impossible to work for. He would give her ridiculous jobs to do and call her at odd hours of the night because he couldn't make up his mind which pen wrote smoother, or something else equally stupid to be asking someone at four in the morning. So, after working for him for three years, she'd finally quit, resigning herself to never seeing him again.
 
“What are you doing here? Where's your Corvette?” she asked.
 
“Battery died,” he replied as he extended a hand towards her to help her up.
 
“Oh … Well, how've you been?” She said softly. “Are you still terrorizing your secretaries?”
 
He smiled back, something she'd never seen him do. Ever. “I've missed you,” he confessed.
 
She felt her cheeks burst into flames as the familiar warmth began to converge around her core, shocked that his presence still affected her so much. “Your suit!” she exclaimed suddenly, brushing her fingers softly across the stained fabric before pulled them back suddenly, as if she had just realized what she was doing. “I'm so sorry I ruined it!”
 
“It is nothing, my apartment is right across the street. Would you like to come up and change?” He nodded to her now transparent shirt, smirking when she gasped and covered herself.
“I imagine that can't be very comfortable and afterwards we can go grab a bite to eat.”
 
“I'd like that.” She smiled warmly at him, deciding to forget work; after all it would be quitting time in a few hours so there really was no point.
 
Later that day, after he'd recharged his battery, he'd taken her out to dinner where he'd admitted that the reason he'd given her all of those ridiculous jobs was merely so he could have a chance to talk to her. They went out to eat every day after that. And anytime you asked them what brought them together, Rain would blush and hide her face in Kira's shoulder, to which he would smirk and say, “It all started with two dead batteries and a cup of coffee.”