Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Chornus ❯ Volume One: Chapter Three: Wandering Cowboy ( Chapter 3 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Wandering Cowboy

“Hello,” Anna Jane said. George sniffed around the windowsill. The girl tilted her head.

“What are you doing here?” she asked. He looked confused. He could understand her, right? Anna Jane reached her hand out the window. George sniffed at her hand.

“Can you understand me?” she asked. George stared at her for a moment.

“My name is Anna Jane,” she said. “And this is Teddy.” The little girl held up her stuffed bear. She made her friend wave his right arm. George blinked at them. He started making a high-pitched squeaking noise.

“Shhh,” she whispered. “Keep it down. My daddy and his friend are sleeping Don't wake them.” The large creature closed his mouth.

“Thank you,” Anna Jane whispered. She stared at George for a moment. She narrowed her little brown eyes.

“Where did you come from?” she asked. The creature stared for a second. Then he turned and took off running.

“Hey!” Anna Jane yelled. She started to frown.

“Darn it,” the girl muttered. She put on her slippers and robe. Anna Jane grabbed Teddy and her radio and climbed out the window. She held her breath as she started to walk. This should be fine, right?

Her eyes shifted back and forth. She held Teddy to her chest. The sounds of the early morning relaxed her.

Stomp. Stomp. Stomp. Stomp.

The little girl froze. “George? Are you there?” She turned when the stomping got closer. There he was. George stood in front of her in the dim morning. How could something so big and fat move so fast? Anna Jane smiled to herself.

“Heh,” she said. “Guess I'm a cowboy now.”

“Meep?” George asked.

“Yeah,” the girl said. Anna Jane put her hands on her hips.

“That's!” she said. “I will become a cowboy.” She turned to Teddy.

“Will you help me, Teddy?” the girl asked. Anna Jane held the bear to her ear. She nodded while learning.

“Yay!” the new cowboy said. “I knew I could count on you!” Anna Jane turned to George.

“Will you help me too?” she asked.

“George,” the creature chirped. The girl raised her eyebrow.

“Is that a yes?” she asked.

“Meep!” the creature chirped. “Meep! Meep!” Anna Jane clapped her hands.

“Great,” she said. “I'll be the best cowboy I can be!” Anna Jane looked around at the woods they stood in.

“Okay, boys,” she said. “Where to now?” George sank down on all-fours. Anna Jan gave him an odd look.

“What are you doing?” she asked.

“Meep!” the creature said.

“You want me to get on?” she asked.

“Meep!” George said. Anna Jane shrugged.

“Okay,” she said. The child walked up and climbed onto George's back. She clung to his back.

“Meep! Meep!” he shouted. Anna Jane nodded.

“Okay,” she said. George crouched down and took off like a bullet.

“Whoa!” Anna Jane shouted. “Whee! Faster! Faster!” George ran through the woods as fast as his fat little legs could carry him.

Old Town Road