Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Common ❯ Part I: Summer Mockingbird: Chapter Four: Summer with Aoi ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter Four: Summer with Aoi:

Atticus looked over at the little girl next to him.

“I'm Atticus,” he said. “What's your name?” The little girl blushed.

“Sappato,” she said in a small voice. “But you can call me Aoi.”

“Okay,” he said. “Why call yourself `Aoi'?”

“My daddy calls me `Aoi',” she said. She trembled when she spoke. Atticus blushed.

“Uh… let's be friends,” he said.

“Friends?” she asked.

“Yes,” he said.

“Okay,” Aoi said in a tiny voice. The little boy tilted his head.

“What's the matter?” he asked. Aoi shook her head. Atticus reached out to touch her on the cheek.

“Don't!” she shouted. Atticus drew back his hand.

“What's wrong?” he asked. The little girl trembled.

“I don't like to be touched,” she said.

“Why?” he asked. Aoi cringed. The boy looked at his feet.

“I'm sorry,” he said.

“It's okay,” Aoi said. The boy perked up.

“Do you like Botan Rice candy?” he asked. The girl looked up with a smile on her face.

“Yes!” she said. Atticus reached into the pocket and pulled six candies.

“Here,” he said. “Have some.”

“Okay,” Aoi said. She took three pieces from his hand. Atticus put one in his mouth.

“Pretty good, huh?” he asked.

“Yep,” she said.

“These are my favorite,” the boy said.

“Me too!” she said. The children began to laugh. Atticus never realized a girl's laughter sounded so cute.

“Can I see you again tomorrow?” he asked. Aoi's face lit up brighter than the sun.

“Yes!” she said. Atticus slid out of his swing.

“I'll show you my favorite place,” he said. Aoi tilted her head.

“Where is that?” she asked. Atticus turned and looked over her shoulder.

“Let me show you,” he said. Curious, Aoi slid off the swing and walked over to her new friend. They walked further into the park.