Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Common ❯ Part I: Summer Mockingbird: Chapter Twelve: Bigger than the World ( Chapter 12 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter Twelve: Bigger than the World:

Two more weeks until summer ends. Kelly wanted to do something nice for the kids. She spoke with Atticus first.

“You want me to talk to Aoi-chan to meet up with you Sunday?” he asked.

“That's right,” Kelly said. The boy blinked.

“Why?” he asked. The woman smiled and winked.

“It's a surprise,” she said. “You'll see Sunday. You both will need to bring along your favorite treat.”

“Our favorite treat.”

“Our favorite treats?” Atticus asked.

“Yes,” Kelly said. They boy stared at her perplexed.

---------

-Sunday-

Kelly waited for the children in the park. She ad a big basket sitting next to her. The woman looked at her watch. The sound of children playing were pushed in the background.

Please don't be late, Kelly thought.

“Hey!” a little boy yelled. She looked up to see Atticus and Aoi running towards her.

“Sorry we're late!” Atticus said. Kelly rose to her feet as they approached.

“I could decide what I wanted,” Aoi said, blushing.

“That's okay,” Kelly said. “You're here now. Shall we go?” Atticus and Aoi looked at each other.

“Where are we going?” Atticus asked.

“You'll see,” Kelly said. “Follow me.” She picked up her basket and walked over to a wooden table. Confused, the children followed. Kelly turned to them, smiling.

“Children,” she said. “Welcome to our summer picnic!” She opened the basket and set everything up. Atticus and Aoi watched the red and yellow plastic tablecloth spread across the table. Three plates, three sets of chopsticks, and several napkins were set on the table.

“Is anyone allergic to anything?” Kelly asked. The children shook their heads.

“Good,” she said. “I made most of the food myself. Tell me how it is.” Atticus and Aoi walked over to the table. Kelly served them their lunch.

“This is my first time making yakisoba,” she said. “Tell me how it is.” The children picked up their chopsticks.

“Let's eat,” they said. Kelly waited as they took bites.

“Well?” she asked. Atticus and Aoi's little eyes lit up.

“This is good!” he said. Aoi smiled as she chewed.

“Mmm,” she said. Kelly perked up.

“You mean it?” she asked.

“Yes!” the children said. Their older friend squealed.

“I'm so glad you like it!” she said. “Have more.” The woman served them more yakisoba. Kelly also made fried tofu, rice, and gyozas.

“Wow!” the kids said.

“You made all of this?” Atticus asked.

“Yeah,” Kelly said. “Yesterday and last night. Help yourselves.” Aoi pulled out a container of dried squid.

“My grandma made these,” she said. “They are really chewy.” Atticus himself pulled out a container with a red lid.

“Grandma made this sweet bread,” he said.

“Oh yeah,” Kelly said. “That reminds me.” She pulled out her own container.

“I bought these on the way here,” the woman said. Kelly smiled and opened the white lid. The kids gasped. The dango seemed to glisten in the sun.

“We can really have these?” Atticus asked.

“Of course,” Kelly said.

“Yay!” Atticus and Aoi said. That picnic lunch was the most fun they had that summer. It would be one of the last times all three of them would be together like this.