Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Common ❯ Part I: Summer Mockingbird: Chapter Thirteen: End of Summer ( Chapter 13 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter Thirteen: End of Summer:

Summer ends tomorrow. Atticus found two changes that uprooted his life.

The first came from news from Kelly. Three days before summer ended, Atticus and Aoi met up with their older friend in the park. Kelly turned to them, smiling.

“I'm getting married!” she said. The kids stared at her blankly.

“What?” they asked. Kelly held out her hand. The fat diamond caught the sun on her ring finger. Atticus whistled.

“Pretty!” Aoi said. Atticus got a good look at Kelly's eyes.

“Is it to Haru-san?” he asked.

“Why yes,” Kelly said.

“Are you happy?” he asked.

“Yes,” their adult friend said. “Oh and there is something else.”

“What?” Aoi asked. Kelly paused for a minute. The glow in her face started to die away.

“I'm leaving Japan next year,” she said. Atticus and Aoi's eyes widened.

“What?!” they asked.

“Why?” Atticus asked.

“I'm sorry, guys,” she said. “But my job requires me to go back home.”

“What about Haru-san?” Atticus asked.

“He's coming with me too,” Kelly said. The children already started to look crushed.

“Aw, come here,” she said. Kelly pulled them into her arms.

“I'll be here for the rest of the year.”

“Please don't go,” Aoi pleaded.

“I'm sorry,” Kelly said. “But that's how it is. We can still see each other until I leave.” The children broke down crying. Kelly held them as long as she could. She could feel herself crying too.

--------

Aoi delivered the other piece of news two days before summer ended. The children were walking home. Aoi lowered her head.

“What's the matter, Aoi-chan?” Atticus asked. “You've been quiet all day.” The little girl shook her head.

“Come on,” he pleaded. “Talk to me.” Aoi clenched her free fist. Her other hand squeezed Atticus'.

“Ow!” he yelped. “You're hurting me!”

“I'm so sorry,” Aoi murmured.

“What?” Atticus asked. She looked up at him with tears in her eyes.

“I won't be able to go to school with you,” she said.

“What do you mind?” Atticus asked.

“Grandma put me in another school,” she said.

“What?” Atticus asked.

“I'm out of district,” Aoi said. “That's what she told me. She's going to put me in a school that is nearby and cheaper.”

“No…” Atticus said. Aoi let go of his hand.

“I'm so sorry,” she murmured. Tears formed in her eyes. Atticus' put his arms around her.

“I'll try and see you every day,” he said. “Please don't cry.” His dear friend broke down crying. Atticus himself tried not to cry.

“Stop it,” he said. “You're going to make me cry too.” Both children broke down in tears.

--------

Summer would end tomorrow. Atticus pulled his knees to his chest in his room. Kelly and Aoi would be distant from him. He would have to start again--- alone. Atticus cursed himself under his breath. And now, summer was over.

End of Book I