Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Common ❯ Part II: End of Innocence: Chapter Five: High School Whirlwind ( Chapter 18 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter Five: High School Whirlwind:

High school life is busy. Studying, cram school, clubs, and events eats up a student's time. They join one club and end falling down a rabbit hole. Free time doesn't exist. Atticus, Aoi, and Kenya learned this the hard way.

-Aoi-

She didn't think much about clubs. For her, seeing Atticus again was enough. Kenya in the picture wasn't too bad. She didn't know how to deal with more people in her life.

It started on Club Sign-Up Day. This was her teacher's idea from the beginning.

“You need to make more friends,” she told her. “Obuchi-kun and Suzuki-kun are good, but it would be better to introduce yourself to other people.”

“Where do I start?” Aoi asked.

“Join some clubs,” her teacher said. “You might find one you like.”

“Okay…” the girl mumbled.

“What all do you like?” the teacher asked.

Aoi walked around the gym. The lights nearly blinded her. Why was she here? This felt just it did in junior high. Aoi wasn't too social back then and she wasn't too social now either. How was she going to do this? Aoi looked around. She couldn't do school council. Too much pressure for her. Plus, positions were already taken.

“Hey!” someone called out. “Hey! Hey you!” Aoi turned around. A booth covered in nice drawings held three girls inside. One of them beckoned her. Aoi pointed to her nose. The girls nodded and smiled. The fourth girl looked around before walking up to the booth.

“Good morning!” the middle girl said. “How are you today?”

“Good,” Aoi said. She looked at the colors popping out from the pictures.

“They look nice,” she said.

“Would you like to join?” the girl on the left asked. Aoi's eyes widened.

“Me?” she asked. “But, I don't know how to draw.”

“That's okay,” the girl on the right said. “We can show you how. Come on, what do you say?” Aoi dropped her shoulders.

“Alright,” she said. The new member filled out the paperwork.

-Atticus-

He never wanted to join any clubs. He hadn't tried to be more socialable after reuniting with Aoi. Kenya became the start of invading their world. Sure, it was okay. A little annoying, but okay. But then, Aoi started staying after school for art club. Kenya stuck around for a little longer. Then, he discovered the science club. Again, Atticus found himself alone again.

But, it didn't have to be that way.

“Why not join any clubs?” his grandma asks. Atticus shrugged and shook his head.

“I don't know,” he said. “None of them interest me that much.”

“What about the art club?” she asked. “You've always loved to draw.”

“I don't know…” he said.

“Come on,” his grandma said. “At least go and check it out for one meeting. You might like it and see Aoi-chan again.” The boy looked up at her.

“Maybe…” he said.

“It doesn't hurt to try,” his grandmother said. Atticus gave her a little smile. It couldn't hurt, right?

Fortune decided to smile on him the next day.