Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Common ❯ Part II: End of Innocence: Chapter Six: Hearts in Ink ( Chapter 19 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter Six: Hearts in Ink:

Atticus walked up to the art room. This couldn't hurt, right? He counted down in his head and looked inside. Eight students were sitting at tables drawing. No boys in the group. He took a step back. So many girls, Atticus thought.

It was then he noticed one of the girls looking at him. She walked over to the door with a curious look on her face.

“Hello?” she asked. Atticus froze.

“Uh… hi…” he said. “Is this the art club?” The girl with blue eyes blinked.

“Are you looking to join?” she asked.

“Uh… I guess. Is… that okay?” he asked. The girl perked up with that question.

“Of course! Come in!” she said. The girl dragged Atticus into the classroom. The rest of the girls looked up. Their leader took a step forward.

“Everyone,” she said. “We have a new member today.” She nudged Atticus forward. All eyes fell on him. Atticus waved.

“Hi…” he said. A girl with red braids raised her head.

“Do you draw?” she asked.

“Yeah,” he said.

“Pen or pencils?” the girl asked.

“Pencils, mostly. I never tried pens before.” It felt kind of strange. They had no judgement in their eyes. One of the girls smiled.

“Show us what you can do,” she said. She pulled out a fresh sheet of paper from a cardboard box. Atticus looked at the table.

“Right now?” he asked.

“Yes,” the club president said. She reached into her pocket and handed him a fresh pencil. He stared at all eyes on him. Atticus dropped his shoulders. Might as well. He walked over to the table and sat down.

“What do you want me to draw?” he asked.

“Anything,” the club president said.

“Okay,” Atticus said. He took a deep breath and started drawing. The girls watched him work. Atticus trembled with the pencil in his hand.

“Can you back off?” he asked. “I can't focus when you hoover.”

“Oh,” the girls said. They slowly backed up.

“Thanks,” Atticus said. He went back to drawing. Right away, he got lost in the art. His hand moved on its own. Meanwhile, the girls watched mesmerized. They thought they were watching a magic trick. The picture seemed to come to life. Atticus put down his pencil when he was finished.

“How is this?” he asked. The club gazed upon Aoi's face on the page.

“She's pretty,” the leader said. “Who is she?”

“An old friend,” Atticus said, rubbing the back of his head. The leader bowed her head.

“Allow me to introduce myself,” she said. “My name is Honda Miyuki. Nice to meet you.”

“Uh… I'm Atticus,” he said again. He bowed as well.

“Would you like to join our club?” Miyuki asked.

“Yes!” he said without a thought. “Thank you for having me!” The girls giggled.

“You don't have to be so formal with us,” Miyuki said.

“Oh… Sorry,” he said. The boy chuckled and rubbed the back of his head. Maybe grandma was right. Atticus thought he would enjoy his new club. If only he could see Aoi-chan again…

Maybe he would still get that chance.