Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Common ❯ Part II: End of Innocence: Chapter Eight: Culture Festival ( Chapter 21 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter Eight: Culture Festival:

The Culture Festival was in two weeks. All of the students were hard at work. The art club decided to showcase their work. Atticus and Aoi grew close again. He got better at drawing. They both made more friends. But what of his confession?

Aoi knew how he felt, but she gave no answer. Atticus didn't know how to bring up the subject again. He got better at drawing. They both made more friends. But what of his confession?

Aoi knew how he felt, but she gave no answer. Atticus didn't know how to bring up the subject again. His grandma did her best to supportive.

“These things take time depending on the person,” she said. “How did you say it to her?” Atticus nervously laughed.

“I just kind of threw it on her,” he admitted.

“Atticus,” his grandma said. The boy lowered his head.

“I'm so sorry,” he said.

“It's okay,” she said.

“What do I do if she turns me down?”

The old lady patted him on the head. “You two can still be friends.”

“I don't know how to bring it up to her.”

“Take your time. It will come to you, dear.” Her grandson pressed his lips together as he nodded. But patience can be so hard at times.

Atticus and Aoi helped with the decorations. He looked over at Aoi's hands. Her art was getting better as well. He still wanted to know how she felt about him.

“Hey, Aoi-chan,” Atticus said.

“Hm?” she asked. He opened his mouth to speak. But, nothing came out.

“Um…” he said.

“What?” Aoi asked. Atticus shook his head.

“Never mind,” he said.

“Oh,” she said. Aoi turned back to her work. The boy curse himself. Why couldn't there be a right time to ask?

Meanwhile, Aoi didn't know how to answer. She had been pushing it back for quite sometime now. At time, it felt uncomfortable to just being alone together. She focused on the white paper roses in her hands.

“Are you okay?” Atticus asked.

“Uh… yeah, yeah,” Aoi lied. Something had to break the tension and fast.

--------

The cultural festival came on a Friday. The students poured in through the school gates. All of the booths were ready and open. The cooks went to work at the stoves. Atticus and Aoi stood at their booth for the art club. They were selling art from the girls. Neither one spoke. Atticus pressed his lips together.

That's it! I will just go ahead and do it! He clenched his fists at his sides.

“Aoi-chan,” he spoke up. His dear friend turned her head.

“What is it?” she asked. He wouldn't back down.

“I really do like you,” Atticus said. “I've liked you since we were kids. I… I'm sorry I sprung it on you before.”

“Okay,” she said. Atticus timed his words.

“I just want to know how you feel about me,” he said. Aoi stared at him. He waited with patience. The boy already resigned himself to whatever her answer would be. If she felt the same, great. If she turned him down, that would be fine. Just please… say something!

Aoi moved her hand to her chest, blushing.

“Um… Well… I like you too,” she said at last. Atticus raised her eyebrow.

“In what way?” he asked.

“I really like you,” she said. Aoi took him by the hands.

“I really like you,” she said. Atticus' face turned bright red.

“Wow,” was all he could said.

“Excuse me,” a voice spoke up. The new couple turned to see a freshman girl standing at their booth.

“Are you open?” the girl asked. Atticus cleared his throat.

“Uh… yeah,” he said. “How can we help you?” Aoi stood still blushing. Atticus smiled the rest of the day. Maybe this could turn out for the better for them.