Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Common ❯ Part II: End of Innocence: Chapter Nine: The First Date ( Chapter 22 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter Nine: The First Date:

They admitted they liked each other. Now, the young lovers had to move forward. Atticus was the one to push further.

“A date?” Aoi asked at the booth.

“Yes,” he said. “Is that okay?”

“Sure,” she said. Atticus' cheeks turned bright red.

“Great! How about tomorrow?” he asked.

“Tomorrow?”

“Yes.”

“Um… Okay.”

“Wow. Great, thanks. I'll meet you in town at one.” Atticus rubbed the back of his head. Another student approached their booth. The couple jumped to attention.

“Yes?” Aoi asked.

“I would like to buy some art please,” the student asked.

“Sure,” Atticus said. “Which one would you like?” The art sale went off without a hitch Atticus didn't care about that. He would be getting a date tomorrow.

---------

Saturday morning came and Atticus was already mentally ready. He couldn't sleep last night. He had everything planned out. Their date would be simple. Just a walk around the city. Atticus counted down to one o'clock. He spent the morning humming.

“You seem to be in a good mood this morning,” his grandma said.

“Uh-hm,” Atticus said at the breakfast table. “I've got a date today.”

“A date?” she asked.

“Uh-hm,” he said, nodding. His grandmother smiled.

“Ah to be young,” she said. “Where are you going?”

“Just around the city,” he said. “I want to keep it simple.”

“I see,” the grandma said. She sat down at the table. Atticus smiled as he ate breakfast.

--------

By noon, Atticus was ready to go. He wore his best dress shirt, pants, and tie. He combed his hair nicely. The boy smiled at his reflection. He couldn't wait to see Aoi again. The boy looked at his clock on his nightstand.

“Oh,” Atticus said. “It's time to go!” He turned and walked out of his room.

“Atticus-kun!” his grandmother said. “Aoi-chan's here!”

“Coming!” he said. The boy hurried down the hall. His grandmother stepped away from the front door. Aoi stood outside, waiting. She looked so cute in her pinkish white dress and flowers in her hair.

“Hello,” she said.

“Hi,” Atticus said. “You look beautiful.” His date blushed.

“Thank you,” she said.

“Ready to go?” he asked. Aoi nodded. Atticus held out his arm. Aoi nodded. Atticus held out his arm. She took hold and followed him away from his house. The couple smiled and giggled.

---------

“Where are we going?” Aoi asked.

“We're just walking around the city,” Atticus said. “Maybe stop somewhere to eat. Is that okay with okay?”

“Sure,” Aoi said. She leaned on his arm. Atticus cleared his throat.

“Great,” he said. Did she have to be so close? She smelt like baby powder. Atticus' heart pounded against his chest.

Their date turned out as nice as he pictured it. The couple took in the sights of the city.

“It's so strange,” Atticus said. “When did this town get so small?”

“What do you mean?” Aoi asked.

“When we were kids, this town looked so big,” he said. “The roads seemed to go on and on through the country. But now, it keeps shrinking every day.”

“I don't mind it,” she said.

“Hm?”

Aoi took hold of Atticus' arm. “Sometimes, it doesn't have to be a bad thing. Small can sometimes be stable. At times, I wish that it can stay the same.” Atticus couldn't help but smile. Deep down, he wished for the same thing. But, that sort of wish can't always come true, can it?