Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Common ❯ Part II: End of Innocence: Chapter Thirteen: Graduation ( Chapter 26 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter Thirteen: Graduation:

Graduation day came. Atticus and Aoi passed their classes. Kenya ended having to take summer classes to graduate.

“I'm going to miss you guys,” he said.

“What happened?” Atticus asked. Kenya chuckled as he rubbed the back of his head.

“Oh, I failed a couple of classes,” he said.

“What?” Atticus asked.

“No biggie,” his friend said. “I'll just make it up in the summer classes. I will be fine.” Kenya's laugh sounded hollow. He clearly wanted to graduate with Atticus and Aoi. Atticus patted him on the shoulder.

“It will be okay,” he murmured. Kenya forced himself to smile. He looked ready to cry. Atticus had pity for him, but he couldn't worry about him right now.

Aoi was about to be two months along. Atticus' grandmother had been so supportive. Aoi's grandmother didn't take it so well.

“What?!” she asked. “What did you say?!” Aoi lowered her head.

“I'm sorry,” she murmured. Atticus held her hand.

“Come on now,” his grandmother said. “We'll help take care of our grandchildren and the baby.” Aoi's grandmother snorted.

“Do what you want,” she said. The old lady walked into the kitchen. Aoi felt like crying. Atticus rubbed her shoulder.

“It will be okay,” he whispered. His girlfriend tried not to cry. She wound up living with Atticus and his grandmother.

--------

Atticus and Aoi stood among the graduating crowd. He held her hand. They still needed to plan their futures together. The baby was coming in November. The couple didn't know what to do after that. They couldn't afford the entrance exam or college. They needed jobs and a home of their own. They couldn't stay in Atticus' grandmother's house. Aoi rested her hand to her belly as she turned to her boyfriend.

“What are we going to do?” she asked.

“I don't know,” he said back. She rested her chin on his shoulder.

“Will we be okay?” Aoi asked. Atticus squeezed her hand.

“Yes,” he said. The couple joined in to sing the class song. Atticus already started looking for a job to support his growing family. He would have to cross his fingers and hope for the best. Hopefully, he could make this work out for the better. Sadly, adult life is not that easy.

End of Book Two