Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Common ❯ Part III: Call to Innocence: Chapter One: Modern Life ( Chapter 27 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

III: Call to Innocence

Chapter One: Modern Life:

Years pass. Atticus and Aoi got married. They had three beautiful children. They moved to Tokyo. His grandma gave them the apartment as a wedding gift.

“You don't have to,” Atticus said.

“I want to,” she said. “For all of you.” Atticus felt like he couldn't say no. But, he vowed to do things on his own from then on. He got a job at a small local company. Aoi stayed home and raised the kids.

“You can get a job too,” he told her. She smiled and shook her head.

“I have a job to support you,” Aoi said. She bounced the oldest baby daughter in her arms and smiled. Atticus smiled and kissed her. This was how their life was. But, it's not always easy.

The family wasn't rich. Atticus' job barely paid enough. His grandmother to help them every month.

“You don't have to do this,” Atticus said.

“Atticus!” she snapped over the phone. “Enough!”

“But…” he said.

“No!” the grandmother said. “You are not a burden to me. I'm doing this because I love you. Understand?”

“But…”

“Understand?”

Atticus sighed. “Yes.”

“Good. I will see you all next month.” The old lady hung up. Atticus looked at his phone.

“Thank you,” he muttered. Not how he wanted things to go. Still, he was happy to have a job, home, and loving family. Everything seemed to be afloat. But, everything comes so easily in life. Even adults like Atticus and Aoi have more challenges than the average adult. But, they can take them on.

After all, love is on their side.