Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Common ❯ Part III: Call to Innocence: Chapter Two: Atticus' Work Day ( Chapter 28 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter Two: Atticus' Work Day:

It's always the same for Atticus.

He gets up at six in the morning. Aoi's still asleep at this time. But, she's made him breakfast from the night before. He showers and gets dressed. He goes to the futon and kisses his wife.

“I love you,” he whispers. Atticus kisses her on the cheek. He heads down to the kitchen. The kids are still asleep. He smiles to himself. After breakfast, he heads out the door.

Atticus takes the bus to work. Usually, the commute is empty. He takes his seat in the back and says nothing. Atticus looks out the window. The city looks the same. He presses his hand against the glass. Only about eight people get on the bus that early. They never speak. They can't relate to each other. Why would they? It's only a short ride anyway. The bus is just there to get them to their next destination.

Atticus works at a small trading company. They just started last year. Atticus had worked at another company before it closed down. The man needed the money to support his family. The company wasn't his first choice. In truth, he was to old for most jobs. This was the only place that would take him.

Atticus makes it to the office. The receptionist greets him at the door.

“Good morning,” the young woman greets him with.

“Good morning,” Atticus said. They bow and he clocks in. These are his mornings. It's been the same since summer of last year. He never expected change to occur. Atticus sits at his desk and begin with the records of the day. He doesn't mind the job. Atticus does it for his family. By now, Aoi and the kids were up. The kids would be heading off to school. He smiles as he thought about Aoi. Maybe he should get her something nice.

His phone rings back in reality.

“Hello?” Atticus asks. This goes on until lunch. He eats alone outside. The city sounds help soothe him. Traffic going by. Construction happening next day. Birds singing. Atticus smiles at the sun on his face.

“Mmm,” he says. He wishes Aoi could be eating with him right now. She'd enjoy the day around her too. After lunch, it's just more work really. Nothing out of the ordinary. He works until six in the evening. Atticus does stay his coworkers for social hour. They drink and have snacks. Afterwards, he goes home. Nothing changes. Atticus was fine with how things were going. He had a family to go back to.

But then, one message would start a series of tests that would push Atticus and Aoi to their limits.