Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Common ❯ Part III: Call to Innocence: Chapter Thirteen: Resolution ( Chapter 39 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter Thirteen: Resolution:

Aoi hugged Atticus at the train station.

“I am going to miss you,” she said. He hugged her and patted her back.

“Shhh,” Atticus whispered. “It's going to be okay. I will only be gone for a few months.” They talked about this last night. Aoi still doesn't like it.

“It's for the family,” Atticus said. “I wouldn't be doing this if it wasn't.” Aoi still looked ready to cry.

“Aw, come here,” Atticus said. He hugged her over the table. She sobbed over his shoulder.

“I don't want you to go!” she wailed.

“I know,” Atticus whispered. “I know. I will be home soon. And I will call you every day.” Aoi looked him in the eye.

“You promise?” she whimpered. He wiped away her tears.

“Yes,” Atticus said. Aoi sniffled as she started to calm down.

“Okay,” she said. “I understand.” Her husband hugged her again.

Back in present day, Atticus let go of his wife.

“I will call you when I make it to Hong Kong,” he said. Aoi smiled through her tears.

“You better,” she said. Atticus turned to Sanjiro.

“You take good care of your mother, you hear me?” he said.

“Yes, Papa,” the little boy said. His dad kissed him on the forehead. He turned to Norio and Marilyn.

“Be good for your mother,” he told them.

“Yes,” Norio said. Atticus repeated his words to Marilyn with finger spelling. She quietly nodded. He stood up straight.

“I'm off now,” Atticus said. Aoi wiped away her tears.

“Make us proud,” she said. Atticus smiled and nodded.

“I will,” he said. He and Aoi shared one more kiss.

“I will see you in six months,” he told her. “Goodbye.”

“See ya,” Aoi said. Atticus bowed and climbed onto the train. His wife and kids waved as the train pulled away. Aoi moved her hand to her chest.

“I will have to do this on my own,” she said to herself. Aoi paused when a small hand grabbed onto her kimono. She looked to see Marylin looking up at her with those big eyes of hers.

“Mama,” she said. A wave of relief washed over Aoi. Somehow, she knew that she could live through this.

“Sanjiro, Norio, we have to go,” she said. “You still have summer homework to do.” The boys wailed.

“Do we have to?” Norio asked.

“Yes,” Aoi said. “Now let's get going.” She gathered up her children and left the train station. Aoi gave herself a little smile. Yes, she could handle being on her own for a while. When Atticus comes home, she will be waiting for him.

The End