Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Consumed by the Darkness ❯ Haunted ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
“Where am I?” Ayumi whispered. She appeared to be standing in a long, faintly lit hallway. She looked back and forth, taking in her unusual surroundings.

On either side of her were tall windows dressed with black or blood colored drapes. On the other side of the glass Ayumi could see that a fierce storm rage outside, pounding the windows with bullet-like rain drops and strong winds. Just outside the window closest to Ayumi was a tree. Its branches reached out and scratched almost desperately at the window, as if it was a monster hungrily reaching for its prey that was just a step too far out of its grasp.

Ayumi turned her gaze down the long, seemingly endless hallway. It just looked as if it had no end. It kept going and going until it disappeared into shadows. She squinted her eyes and peered into the darkness.

“I guess I’m supposed to find the end.” Ayumi shrugged and took a step. The step echoed loudly through the hallway, making it seem all the more endless.

Suddenly, Ayumi heard foot steps. They seemed to be coming from behind her. Quickly, Ayumi turned towards the source of the sound. She saw the small flickering flame of a lit candle moving toward her. She waited for a moment, to see who the person was. After what seemed like hours, the person stopped just out of Ayumi’s field of vision.

“Who’s there?” Ayumi asked the unknown person. Then there was a flash of lightning that illuminated the darkness, revealing the face of the visitor. Ayumi barely stifled a gasp. The face was exactly identical to her own. There was only one person the visitor could possibly be.

“Sister?” Ayumi whispered, as a crash of thunder resounded through the dark hallway and rattled the windows. Then suddenly, Rei turned away from her and began to walk down the hall, away from Ayumi.

“Rei? Wait!” Ayumi called, following the flickering candle through the darkness.

“How did you get here? You’re dead, aren’t you? Your funeral was a week ago…” Ayumi said. But it appeared that her twin could not hear her, or was ignoring her.

“Rei?” Ayumi called. Her sister had stopped in front of a large, chamber-like door. In it were carvings of various mythological creatures. Griffins, dragons, phoenixes, and many others. All of them seemed to stare hungrily at her, sending a small chill up Ayumi’s spine. Slowly, Ayumi reached out a trembling hand towards the door and pushed it open. The door gave with a loud creak that echoed from the hall and into the chamber. Ayumi took a deep breath and entered.

It took Ayumi’s eyes a few seconds to adjust to the sudden lack of light and she had to squint in order to see. From what Ayumi could make out long billowing drapes that dangled in front of gothic style windows. There was also a fire place on the far side of the chamber. Ayumi could just barely make out the last dying embers of a fire. Ayumi turned to her right and caught sight of a rather angry looking gargoyle statue guarding the door way. Ayumi turned to her left and spotted the flickering candle she had seen earlier.

“Rei?” Ayumi asked, crossing the dimly lit room. She stopped next to the figure of her sister.

Rei did not acknowledge her sister’s presence. In fact, she did not seem to even know that Ayumi was there. Ayumi reached over and touched Rei’s shoulder.

“Rei?” Ayumi asked once more, gently nudging her sister’s shoulder. Finally there was a reaction.

“So, you’ve come…Younger sister.” Rei’s voice said in a cool, expressionless tone. Rei did not turn to face her younger sibling. Instead, she merely stared out a window, with violet eyes void of emotion, at the stormy sky.

“Rei…I…Missed you. A lot.” Ayumi said. “Even if this isn’t real, I’m glad I could see you again.”

Suddenly Rei let out a soft chuckle. She brought a hand to her face and soon her laughter became hysterical.

“Who’s to say that a dream isn’t real? Didn’t grandmother tell you that dreams can symbolize events that have happened or will happen? And didn’t she tell you that sometimes the dead visit the living in dream?” Rei’s laughter quieted. She slowly walked over to a table and picked up a vase. She stared down at it for a moment, almost transfixed. Then suddenly she let out a cry of rage and threw the vase to the floor. The vase shattered into dozens of tiny fragments with a crash. Then Rei turned her gaze to Ayumi.

“Of course the woman didn’t tell you. She always favored you, you know.” Rei smiled. But the smile did not reach her eyes. It was a fake.

“My lovely little sister. You poor, naïve child.” She crooned, taking step after step closer to Ayumi. “No one tells you anything, do they?.”

Ayumi took as step back from Rei, suddenly feeling a deep seated hatred pouring from her sister’s body.

“Sister…What’s wrong with you…?” Ayumi whispered, fear beginning to course through her veins. “Why are you so angry?”

“What’s wrong with me? How about what’s wrong with you, or the rest of humanity? They live pathetic excuses of for lives and fear the end of it. But I suppose that’s human nature, isn’t it? To fear the end of what they call ‘reality.’” Rei reached out and cupped Ayumi’s chin with pale, deathly fingers. Ayumi flinched and closed her eyes, turning her face away from Rei‘s.

“What’s wrong? Scared of me, your own twin? I’m hurt.” Rei chuckled, a smirk forming on her lips. “There are other things to fear. For example…”

Ayumi heard a sudden splattering sound. She opened her eyes and looked to the floor to see drops of blood collecting at Rei’s feet. Her eyes slowly traveled up Rei’s form. Blood had begun to stain the fabric of her clothing and trailed down her arms and dripped from her finger tips. Ayumi’s eyes stopped on a grizzly gash that left an open hole in Rei’s neck, leaving the inside of her throat visible.

Then, Ayumi’s gaze fixed on Rei’s face. It was covered in blood and the skin was peeled away in places, revealing the bone beneath her torn flesh. Rei’s eyes were wide and psychotic. Ayumi’s face lined with horror as she saw the terrifying sight.

“…For example…WHAT HAPPENED TO ME!” Rei rasped.


Ayumi awoke with a terrified cry, sitting up and tangling herself in her sheets, causing her to fall out of her bed. Her violet eyes starred, wide, at the ceiling. She gasped for breath, a loud heaving sound escaping her lips. Soon Ayumi calmed and untangled herself from the sheets.

Ayumi let out a soft sigh. It had all been a nightmare, a dream. Yet still, somehow she could not let go of the event that had taken place in her nightmare. She sat down on her bed and rested her head in one hand, the events playing over and over, the image of her twin covered in blood flashing in front of her eyes repeatedly. Ayumi realized that she had to rid her mind of the horrible images. She turned her gaze to the alarm clock perched on her bedside table. It was 3 o’clock am.

Ayumi let out another sigh, she would not be able to go back to sleep. She crossed her room to her closet and pulled out some clothes and dressed herself. She quietly crept out her bedroom door and down the hallway. She slid on her shoes and exited out the sliding paper door. Soon she was walking down a deserted road, with nothing but the moon and the occasional stray cat for company.

The only sound were her footstep and distant traffic. Off in the distance Ayumi could she tiny red lights flashing atop tall skyscrapers, reminding her of a memory long past.

In was a summer evening when Ayumi and Rei were still in middle school. They had both snuck out in the dead of night for a walk, along that same road. A soft summer breeze was blowing, ruffling their clothes. They walked for a long time and stopped in a small park and sat on a swing set where they sat silently watching the city lights flash in the distance. For the longest time neither of them spoke. Finally, Rei broke the silence.

“Ayumi, what do you think we’ll be doing in three years?” She suddenly asked.

“That’s weird question to ask. Is that why you dragged me out her with you?” Ayumi said, raising a brow at her sister.

“Sorry, it’s just, things seem to be happening so fast. Before we know it, we’ll be adults, out on our own. Who knows? We might even have families of our own.” Rei said pulling her knees up to her chest and wrapping her arms around them.. “Soon we might not even remember what it’s like to have fun. There’ll be so much more responsibility.”

Ayumi chuckled slightly, rolling her eyes and shaking her head.

“Sometimes I wonder which one of us is the older one.” Ayumi sighed and looked at Rei. “It’s really nothing to worry about.”

Rei glared at Ayumi, a pout forming on her face. “It’s not funny.”

“Well, if it make you feel better, I suppose everyone thinks about those kind of things when they realize they’re starting to grow up.” Ayumi replied, looking up at the sky.

“Life’s short, isn’t it? I feel like it’ll just all end too quickly. I might not even live long enough to fall in love!” Rei said.

Ayumi merely burst into hysterical laughter in response to Rei’s comment. Rei glared at her younger sister once again. “Hey!”

“Sorry, I couldn’t help it.” Ayumi apologized. “It’s just funny.”

“But don’t worry, I’m sure you’ll fall in love someday.” Ayumi said, resisting the urge to laugh again.

“You think I’ll still be here in three years?” Rei asked. Ayumi smiled.

“Of course you will.” She replied.

But Ayumi was wrong. Nearly three years later Rei died. Rei’s desire to fall in love was never fulfilled

After what seemed like forever, Ayumi stopped walking. She was surprised to see that she happened to stop in front of the same park she and Rei had the conversation three years earlier. Ayumi entered the park and found the same swing set they had sat on years before. She gazed for the longest time at the skyscrapers glittering in the distance.

“Rei…” Ayumi felt a stabbing pain in her chest, feeing the urge to burst into tears. The pain was heart wrenching. Ayumi closed her eyes and gritted her teeth.

Suddenly, Ayumi was startled by the sound of foot steps. She looked up and gasped in surprise.

“Well, well. It looks like I’m not the only one taking a late night trip to the park.” Akito said, slightly amused as he walked up to her. “Is this swing taken?”

Ayumi shook her head and Akito sat in the swing. “You okay.?”

“I don’t know. Why are you asking?” Ayumi replied, averting her gaze from Akito.

“You just look like you need to talk.” Akito said, looking genuinely concerned. “Why else would you’ve come all the way here this late?”

“Alright. Fine. I’m not okay. Happy?” Ayumi replied.

“What happened?” Akito asked.

“I had a dream.” Ayumi said.

“About Rei?”

“Yes.”

Ayumi gripped the chains of her swing. The words her twin had said in the dream came floating back to her.

“Who’s to say that a dream isn’t real? Didn’t grandmother tell you that dreams can symbolize events that have happened or will happen? And didn’t she tell you that sometimes the dead visit the living in dream?”

“She told me things. She seemed so different from the sister I knew.” Ayumi said. “I don’t know why I had such a dream. But, it scared me. It scared me so much Akito…”

Ayumi gripped the chains even harder. Her mind swam once more with the haunting images from her dream and memories of the sister she looked up to mingled with them.

“I miss her, Akito. I feel so alone.” Ayumi whispered, fighting against the tears that threatened to spill from her eyes. Suddenly, she felt a hand on her shoulder. She looked up at Akito and her lip quivered.

“Go ahead.” He said softly.

Before she knew it, Ayumi’s eyes became moist. Tears rolled down her cheeks and she threw her arms around Akito’s shoulders and began to sob into his shoulder. Akito wrapped his arms around her and allowed Ayumi to finally mourn for the loss of her other half.