Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Damned ❯ Expectations ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Chapter 1: Expectations
I opened my eyes that morning and I knew it was one of those dreadful mornings. The sun was steaming up our earth, the thermostat climbing to a soggy 95 degrees, and it was only nine in the morning. I pulled myself out of bed, my sweaty hair matted to the pillow, the swiveling fan no longer concentrated on me. I drew back the curtains and watched as the steam rose off our newly paved driveway. Seventeen years with a dirt road and my parents pick the hottest season in a decade to pave it.
I stumbled my way to the bathroom to take a shower and begin my morning. The shower was a brief relief from the humidity encompassing the house. After dressing in my favorite green cargo shorts and a plain brown tank top I went downstairs to greet my family.
Mom was sitting on the sofa, fanning herself with a section of the newspaper, my dog Cindy panting lazily on her dog bed. After serving myself a glass of orange juice I sat next to my mother on the sofa.
“Why is it so hot in here?” I asked in what I tried to play off as a casual voice, but knew it sounded whiny just the same.
“Good morning to you too Cassandra. The air conditioner broke some time during the night. Your father said he would fix it when he got home from work.” She explained.
“Fabulous.” I muttered. Then I thought about how people must have suffered before air conditioning, but that was also before the effects of global warming.
“You could go over to Sam’s and cool off.” Mom suggested.
“I have to go to work anyway.” I said. “See you around six.”
I got in my car and winced as my bare thighs hit the vinyl seat. I really needed to get one of those windshield, sun-blocker things. I worked in the mall at one of the name brand stores. It was the only time of year I actually looked forward to going to work, they always kept the store under fifty degrees. In the winter I was always freezing to death, but in the summer it was a welcome relief.
Before I realized it I was at work. My air condition-less car had not provided me much protection from the scorching sun on the drive over, so I wasn’t hesitant as I peeled myself off the car seat. I trudged across the parking lot, looking ahead at the door that would lead to a burst of cold air. I dropped my sunglasses and bent to pick them up, that was the first time I saw him.
It was challenging to focus on anything except him as he seemed to glide into the mall. He was wearing all black, a sweatshirt, and pants despite the scorching heat. His hair was in a tangled mess of disarray and he ran his hand threw it while he walked. His sunglasses took up most of his face but even still I couldn’t help staring at him. He had an… aura? Is that the word I want? A presence that filled the entire parking lot. I was compelled. As he disappeared through the door to the mall I collected my wits and followed his path through the glass door. He was nowhere in sight.
I frowned as I walked into work. It was unsettling how he seemed to be a vision of my imagination. “Hey Danny.” I said to my coworker. “Is it possible to see a mirage in this temperature?”
“Theoretically. You would probably have to be under extreme dehydration. Why?” He finished folding a shirt and stood beside me.
“Well, it’s just that, there was this boy outside, and then, he wasn’t inside.” I tried to explain but it sounded wrong even to my ears.
“That happens Cassi. People go into stores and things. Why do you care so much? Was he cute?” Danny was always eager for conversation.
“Yea. I think he was. I don’t know. It was weird ‘cause he was in long sleeves and pants, and they were black, on a day like today. I don’t know. He was kind of weird.”
“Sounds sexy.” Danny said.
“Yea.” We smiled at each other and tried not to laugh.
I decided that it didn’t matter if Sunglasses Boy (that was the name I had so wittingly decided to use for him) was cute or not. I had seen him and now he was gone so it didn’t matter anymore. Move along. But throughout the day I kept thinking of him. Kept thinking of that feeling I had. Like I was being drawn to him like I was a full of metal and he was magnetic north. It bothered me that I hadn’t seen which direction he went, or even had any proof that that moment existed. ~~~~I stared out the window with an expression of disbelief and a feeling of “well doesn’t that just figure”. My coworker friends and I had decided to all take our day off and go to Funtown Splashtown USA, the semi-local theme park. We were all sick of the hot weather but decided a day spent zipping around on roller coasters and flying down log flume rides would be much more worthwhile than wallowing indoors. As I glared out the window that dreary morning I understood two things, first, the supreme beings of the world must hate me, and second, I was never going to make it to Funtown Splashtown USA. This was the third time it had rained all summer. All three times were days we had planned to go to the theme park. It was also, unfortunately, only a week before school started up again, and our last chance to go.
My ringtone startled me out of my haze and I answered my cell phone apathetically. “Hey.”
“So, we’re totally still going.” It was Sam.
“It’s going to rain. It’s already drizzling.”
“Well Danny’s still in, and, well screw this, I want to go to a theme park!” I could feel her frustration and I smiled at her determination.
“Okay then.” I agreed. “We’ll just bring our parkas.”
“Yes. Okay, come by in like an hour.” I agreed and departed feeling a lot more chipper than I had upon waking.
“Morning Cassandra.” My mother said as I bounced down the stairs.
“Good morning.” I grabbed a parka off the hook and looked around for my purse.
“Where are you going? Shopping with Sam?”
“No, the dream team’s going to Funtown Splashtown USA.” I chirped brightly.
“They say to expect thunderstorms.” she seemed incredulous.
“Yes. We’ve tried to go three times this summer and it’s always rained! We give up. We’re going anyway.”
“Well, good luck with that.”
“Thanks! Won’t be home for dinner.” I fed my dog a treat and took off toward my car.
~
“This was the stupidest idea. Ever.” Danny said as we departed from the Astrosphere, the only dry ride in the entire park. “Nearly all the rides are closed ’cause of the stupid weather.”
“At least they gave us reduced rate admission.” I tried, albeit unsuccessfully, to be cheerful.
“We should just go and catch a movie or something.” Sam suggested.
“I guess.” I agreed somewhat reluctantly.
“Sure, what should we see though?” Danny asked.
“I don’t care but, I’m running to the car, I’m sick of the rain.” Sam said as she took off.
“Wait up!” Danny and I screamed in unison as we charged after her.
My feet moved rapidly over the pavement and as I turned the corner I ran smack-dab into a very solid substance. I staggered backward, my body reeling.
“Oh sorry.” I looked up and knew that the feeling I had had in my stomach wasn’t just the jolt of knocking into something. It was the feeling I had had some days ago, that tug toward a person I had never seen before. I stared into the deep brown eyes of Sunglasses Boy.
“Uh, hi.” I felt compelled to say it.
“Can you watch where you walk?” his reply was sharp and quick and then he went around me as though the interaction had never happened.
“I said sorry ya jerk.” I half muttered.
“And I asked if you could watch where you walk. I am so glad we have recapitulated the entire fifteen seconds.” He had stopped to say his piece, but hadn’t turned back around.
“Well, I just thought you were a little on the rude side.” I had no idea why I was still speaking to him.
“Come on Cassi, let’s just go.” Danny, who had doubled back, stood by my side now.
“Yes, run along Cassi.” He began walking away again.
“You know what, you are sarcastic and nasty and rude and I don’t think I like you at all.” I stated firmly.
“Oh dear me, how terrible that this paltry girl not like me, whatever shall I do?”
I felt my frustration rise and an unmistakable growl hiss in my throat. “Cassi, let’s go.” Danny grabbed my hand and led me away from the scene.
“He’s just such a jerk! I can’t believe that! Who does he think he is!? As if I’m paltry! Oh man that guy really irks me!” I ranted in the car.
I ranted in line for the movies.
I ranted at dinner.
“Okay!” Sam said. “We get it. He pissed you off. As your best friend I’m telling you. Shut. Up.”
“Sorry Cassi but Sam’s right. You’re getting kind of annoying.”
I looked down sheepishly and muttered an apology. I couldn’t explain it to them, I couldn’t tell them exactly how I felt around Sunglasses Boy. Maybe it was all in my head in the first place.
~
As I was preparing for school, which started the very next day, the door to my room burst open. Sunglasses Boy was standing before me. I looked at the boy, his venomous canines dripping as he leered over me. "This is what I am." he said, not containing his malice. I looked around at all of the novels that littered my floor, vampires, witches, demons, werewolves, shape-shifters, could it be true? Had I been living in a world like my paranormal novels all this time? I looked back at him, my voice shaking as I spoke out of disbelief, "No..." And he was gone.The window remained open, the curtain didn't even flutter.I stared out in to the night.Had I just sent away my vampire?
I awoke with a start to the sound of my alarm. I slapped the device, trying to shake myself from the daze the dream had given me. It had been only a week since I saw Sunglasses Boy last, but this was the third dream I had had about him. I shuffled around my room, it was the first day of school, and I was already running late.It seemed school had started again before I had time to blink. September darted in through a haze of heat waves. I sat in the back of my homeroom, looking at the people in my senior class. I had grown up with most of them but every year I was surprised to see a few new additions.
I leaned over to talk with Sam and was struck with that sensation that was becoming all too familiar. Sure enough, Sunglasses Boy was sitting by himself at the edge of the room.
“Sam.” I subtly pointed to Sunglasses Boy and couldn’t believe he was really here. What kind of nightmare was I in?
“Well, that’s a twist.” She looked back to me, “I suggest you don’t talk to him much.” She rolled her eyes, a gesture she did when she was done having a conversation.
I turned to face the front of the class again. As roll was being called I watched intently, I had to put a name to his face. I couldn’t let Sunglasses Boy have this mysterious wrench on me, and I felt knowing his name would serve me better.
“Stevens, Connor.” The teacher called monotonously.
“Present.” I smiled, now knowing his name. Connor. What a simple name. What had I expected? Jagger? Needles? Count Dracula? The thought made me laugh. The bell rang and I made my way to the door of the classroom.
“I suggest you stay out of my way this year, and nothing bad will happen.” Connor hissed into my ear as he bristled past.
I looked around gauging others reactions to the nasty side comment, but no one else seemed to have noticed, not even Sam who was standing next to me, looking impatient.
In my head I dashed out of the classroom, looking to see where he had run off to. I spotted him twenty feet down the hallway, bristling past groups of students.
“Hey Connor!” I called angrily as I all but chased after him. He stopped and turned. “Don’t presume you can tell me how to behave!” I was furious. “I don’t even know you! And this is my turf noob, I’ve been going here all four years, and guess who just wandered in? Well, you’re in my territory now bitch!”
“Come on Cassandra.” I looked to see Sam, waiting impatiently in the doorway of homeroom. I hadn’t called out to him, hadn’t told him what my anger wanted to say. I sighed, defeated. It was going to be a long year.
~
I practically threw myself onto the couch when I got home. I sighed dramatically and reached out to rub my dog’s ears, a comfort I had taken since I was little.
“Bad day?” my mom asked.
“Oh my god. Okay, so…” I went in to the entire story.
I caught my mother up with all of the instances I had run in to Sunglasses Boy… Connor. I told her about the weird electricity I had felt around him. I told her what he had said to me today after class, and about how I really just wanted to ring his neck. As I slumped down, finished with my tirade, I waited for motherly words of wisdom. Some great speech that would help to make sense of everything.
“Now is not the time to tell you.” she began slowly. “I was going to wait, but it seems that Menoch has jumped the gun… again.”
“What are you talking about? Just tell me that Connor is being stupid ’cause he likes me and pretend I’m in first grade and that’s how things are dealt with. Just make me feel better about this stupid situation.”
“Cassandra.” My mother sighed. “You. We. Your sister, Mindy, too. We are descendents from a very old line of witches.”
“I know mom, I’ve heard the story. Mindy used to try to scare me with them. What’s the point?”
“You are a witch Cassandra.” She paused as though allowing her words to process in my mind. “More to the point, you are descendent of a line of witches that hunt the undead. You are a vampire huntress.”
“A simple, ‘don’t pay attention to him honey’ would have worked just fine, but thanks for trying to make me feel better.” I patted my mother’s knee condescendingly and stood to get a start on my homework. Homework on the first day of school, it was going to be a fantastic school year.
“I’m not lying to you. Menoch is the leader of a very powerful clan of vampires. His fledglings are here. In Kennebunk. We have to stop them. There are only a few hunters left in the area, we need you.”
“Funny mom.” I shook my head. “Thank you for cheering me up.”
“Cassandra.”
“I’ve had enough of this game mom. I’m going to go do work.”
Cassandra. Stop! I stopped. That command. It wasn’t spoken. I didn’t hear it. I felt it. It was inside my head as though I had thought it myself.
I wheeled around, and my mother was glowing. She was shining with an aura. It reminded me of that day when I first saw Sunglasses Boy across the parking lot. There was a shape around her; it was glowing with hues of violet. You’ll see colors around me, yes?
“Stop doing that! It’s creepy! Get out of my head!” Suddenly I couldn’t hear anything, even my own thoughts.
“You’ve done a mind block. Well done. But you need work. Cassandra, I wanted to better prepare you for this but there is no time. If Menoch has sent his fledglings here, we must prepare you. Now.”
I hesitated. I still didn’t understand anything. I looked at my dog, lying peacefully on the couch. Not caring about anything. She knew food was in the dish, water beside it. She knew she would always get love and attention; she never had to care about anything. I felt a sense of jealousy. Why now? I thought about all of the books I had read, all of the stories I had written about this very concept. That some day someone would tell me ‘Cassandra you’re really a princess, vampire, witch, werewolf, fill in the paranormal creature here.’ But I knew that that was fiction. Fantasy. In any event, it wasn’t real. So to look at my mother, to see her aura sparking, to have heard her in my head! I shook off any doubts. If mind control was true, who was I to deny anything else she might have to say?
“Teach me.”