Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Damned ❯ Uprising ( Chapter 11 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Chapter 11: Uprising
It was Thursday night. I had barely seen Connor all week. He wasn’t even at school. My training sessions had been lessened after I complained about how I was getting auto-blocks in my head. This gave me more free time to hang out with my friends and forget for five seconds that I was a coven member.
I snuggled in to bed, prepared to go to sleep, a sleep that was very precious to me and that I would enjoy immensely. I closed my eyes and not two minutes later I bolted upright, eyes wide, my heart racing.
I had told him.
A memory flooded my mind “That tells me that the battle will be sometime before that. “Perfect, right during our clan gathering.” I had told him of our super top secret clan reunion. I let it slip. I don’t know what came over me. I struggled. Should I warn my mom? Would she get mad at me? Was her anger worth the potential saving of the clan? Would he even tell? Sure he hadn’t been talking to me a lot lately but that didn’t mean he had betrayed me and told the whole vampire population what the witches were up to.
I looked around my room, begging for a sign. I saw an illumination from my bedside table, the amulet I had gotten for Samhain, a glowing crystal in my dark room. The crystal, of course, being a stone in use for communication and prophecy. I got out of bed. I had to tell mom.
“Mom!” I shook her awake, not bothering to be polite. “Mom!” her snoring increased. Didn’t she ever wake up?! “MOM!” I screamed. My dad burst up.
“What in tarnation are you screaming about Cassandra? It’s flippin’ three o’clock in the goddamn morning! Trish wake up!” he turned over and almost immediately fell back to sleep.
My mother startled awake and looked up at me. “What?” she asked groggily.
“It’s the reunion.” I whispered, not sure if my dad was still conscious at all.
“What?” she was not awake.
“Mom, focus. The reunion. That is their point of attack. I can feel it.” This got her attention, she sat up.
“Why do you think that? No one knows about it but coven members.”
“I know but,” how do I explain without incriminating myself? “They’re tricky mom. I just, I know. I can feel it. Please. Gemini’s are very perceptive. You have to listen to me. We have to warn the others. The battle is Saturday!”
She considered this before nodding. “It couldn’t hurt to be prepared.” She agreed. “I will tell your grandmother. I sure hope you’re ready for this.” She put her hand on my shoulder comfortingly. “I sure know I am not.”
~~
Saturday dawned bright and clear. The birds that were still around, waiting through the last vestiges of fall, were singing. It was cold. Biting cold actually. But it was bright and cheery nonetheless. I called Sam and told her I loved her, just in case. I called Danny and told him the same.
My father stayed behind of course, he was never going to come to the reunion. I gave him a hug that said goodbye without me having to say it. “I love you.”
“Love you too Kid, see you when you get home.” I smiled back at him. I hoped he was right.
“You’re sister is meeting us there.” My mother said as we walked out the door.
I settled in to her Nissan and buckled my seatbelt. “I love you mom.”
“I love you too Cassandra. Everything will be fine. You can do this. We can do this. Did you wear your amulet?” she held hers in her left hand.
I lifted the crystal off my collar and showed her. She had never actually told me to wear it; I could just sense that I should. I sure hope it gave me strength today, as well as an insane amount of luck.
~~
The reunion went by joyously and with no interruptions. We had all decided not to let on that we thought vampires might be afoot. Instead we all talked and behaved as if we didn’t know vampires even existed.
The sun began setting and we started our traditional circle casting, celebrating the moon and the sun and the transitions between them. I was not allowed to partake in the circle yet because I had not been inducted into the coven officially. So me and a few cousins and people I didn’t even know stood far off, watching the ceremony from afar.
We heard a hideous cry in the distance and knew what it must be. It was the vampires. That was their battle call. A signal to begin the attack. We saw flashes, almost invisible blurs screech from the trees and attack. The clan was prepared but the vampires were still much faster. As the sun set swiftly over the banks of the ocean I knew it was the last sunset I would ever see. The last glimpse of day; that snapshot in my brain, an image I would hold on to forever. That last glimpse of a golden yellow sun, melting in to a cool gray evening. I turned away, I would not look back at the sun; it was too late for that. I must face my fate… I ran to the battle, charging my energy; prepared to fight. Either they were going down; or we were.