Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Deliverance ❯ Prologue ( Prologue )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
"Do not wonder off like that, Lyna! The Edanea will not hesitate to snatch you up," Good advice for any young elven child not yet old enough to wield a weapon. But sometimes good advice falls onto deaf ears. The beauty and unknowing abyss of the Faradome Forest was incomprehensible... So close yet so distant.The young elf sat upon a storage chest, staring longingly into the tree line. Many dangers awaited inside the forest, but not from nature herself. Humans, also called Edanea, poached the forest. These humans were not stupid, however. An elf with a bow or sword was a dangerous enemy. So the Edanea took any chance they could to grab an elf that was either alone or carried no weapons. Children were worth more however. Within the major human cities they could be sold for much gold. The elves made fine servants, once properly broken in of course. They were nimble and quick, able to complete many tasks in short periods of time. Nobles and the wealthy paid high prices for the Dalish, even more so for the younger ones as they were easier to "train."

The elven clans that inhabited the Faradome Forest moved very other month to keep out of the Edanea detection, it was the only way to keep safe. To the humans, the elves were primative and savage. They did not worship the human gods and did not abide by human tradition and culture. This made them dangerous and in need of being controled. At first the human's attacked a few clans in the forest, but their iron weapons were no match for the elfish master craftsmanship and stealth. The small packs of poachers simply crashed into the large stone wall that was the elven moral and skill. The nobility and royals would never openly support enslaving the natives, but what happened in back alleys and slave trading houses was never made formal. It took many years but the Edanea stopped attacking, realizing that dividing and conquering was the only way to get what they wanted.

A butterly, wings of a beautiful blue hue, caught Lyna's eye. Intrigued, the young female hopped from the storage chest and crept into the forest, determined to catch this creature and inspect its beauty. The young child ran swiftly, jumping over fallen trees, through small creeks and under hanging tree limbs. Soon she had lost sight of the butterfly she was chasing, now just enjoying the forest in all her beauty. The Elven Clan Keeper taught the children to respect the forest, listen to her and read her signs. Lyna stopped running to examine a flower. It was very lovely and smelled divine, just like mother's clothes.

A large shadow covered the young elf and the flower, making the child look up, having thought a large storm cloud had blocked the sun. But it was not a storm cloud that sheltered her from the sun, something much worse. Three large humans stood behind her, their wicked eyes not even trying to hide their intentions. Trying to scream was the last thing the young female remembered.

The sound of children whimpering and the unsteady rocking of her environment drove Lyna into consciousness. Sitting up quickly, she noticed she was no longer in the Faradome Forest, but in a large wagon. Around her were several other young elven children she had never seen before, as well as a couple adults. The adults were trying to comfort the children to no avail. "Please, young one, no more tears or the-" the adult was cut off by a violent shake to the wagon before everything was still. Two very angry humans argued outside for several minutes before the cloth in the back of the wagon was untied and tossed open. "Everyone out!" a large man with a beard shouted, the prisoners quickly exited the wagon only to stand in a huddle, surrounded by other humans with longswords and crossbows. Lyna looked to the adults, eyes pleding for them to attack, to protect her and save her. One by one the humans bound the elf's hands together before connecting them to a long rope. In the distance, Lyna could see a large city. "Get a move on!" the bearded Shem shouted as the line started to move.

Inside the city many humans crowded the streets, Lyna even saw a couple elves at the market stands. The elves she noticed, however, were not like the ones she was used to. They were dirty, their skin shrunken to their bones. She stopped for a brief moment to look about the city, the walls were so high, nothing was open and free. One of her captors slapped her in the back of the head "Keep moving, elf!" The city smelled terrible, nothing like the forest she was used to. And the noise of hundreds of people shouting and arguing was enough to deafen her. Lyna found some comfort when the line was brought into a large building. Many men and a couple of women filled the area. Almost every one of them had a drink in their hand that smelt sour and unpleasant. Before she knew it, she and her companions were upon a small stage with the audience looking at them closely.

Her captors and some human from the audience spoke to each other with words she didn't understand. Before long, several of her companions were cut from the rope line and taken away. Her heart started to race, breath was escaping her lungs after than she could grasp it, wondering what would become of her. The Keeper of her clan had warned the children what horrors happened within Edanea city walls, why had she not listened?. Would her fate be any different? A man in a dark cloak approached her. Lyna couldn't see his face no matter how hard she peered into the darkness that covered his face. After a couple minutes, the man approached the human with the large beard. The bearded man coward slightly at the cloaked man before three gold pieces fell into his hand. Lyna was now his.