Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Demons ❯ The first element ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

 
 
 
The elegant bird of fire fluttered down to the tree branch and looked down towards the chaos that was ensuing below, turning her head to the horizon she let out a gentle call and stretched her wings to full length as her body was consumed by flames. Alight with the scarlet aura set aglow the dark forest below with a ferocity that made all heads turn. The scene below was now visible; two ogres were standing below, at first dazed by the bright beauty that now sat above them. Their fight ended, the two brainless creatures made a motion to each other that seemed to say “let us rid ourselves of this atrocity.” The two ogres in their stupor lunged for the tree, which cracked under their combined force as they ran stupidly into it. The blazing bird now crackling with intensity and anger flew upwards at high velocity and launched itself downwards towards the ogres and opened its wings billowing inferno like winds towards the ogres and with a single flap fires rained down upon the ogres and set them alight in an instant. Painless deaths followed. As the phoenix flew upwards, the fires that were burning the forest were extinguished. The birds span around and landed on a branch; the bird was not seen again for many days.
 
On the other side of the mountains, behind the forest a ferocious territorial battle was occurring. Two wolf tribes were baying for each other's blood. The weaker members of the pack were fighting whilst the alpha wolves watched from rocks above, and occasionally glaring at each other, trying to make the other feel inferior. This battle had been ensuing for many years but its intensity had only just reached an all-time peak. The two tribes had been so embroiled in the feud that the forests desecration had gone unnoticed. Not only was its surface area in a state of rapid shrinking due to the ever-increasing human population but also many outsiders had invaded; Mountain Trolls had moved downwards from their caves because of scarce food supplies in the icy mountains; Griffins were picking off lone wolves at night; and ogres were not longer content to stay in their swamps, knowing full well that they outnumbered all other creatures apart from the bears. However today was no normal battle, one pack had secretly been planning an ambush on the other pack's leader and today was the first chance thay had got to put the plan into action. Whilst the other packs leader was bathing in the luxury of victory that her wolves were doing so well in the battle unaware of the ever-dwindling numbers on her hierarchy. Suddenly, as if by some psychic force she turned and saw one of her family being bitten in the neck by an advancing force from her rival's tribe. She howled and soon there were an equal number of her wolves by her side. She smiled sinisterly and soon the packs were involved in a fight to the death, she lunged at three wolves and soon with a few quick movements, they lay dead. Her rival inflicted an equal number of casualties on her side before all lay dead apart from the two alpha leaders. It was only at this point that both leaders realized that the other leader was female as well, as it was the first time that the two opposing leaders had been face to face. Suddenly, the alpha wolf from one side spoke out and said “You have no idea what power I am capable of, you a mere wolf cannot survive against my powers; the powers of a youkai!” the other wolf just seemed to smile at the concept not flinching or even acting remotely bothered by this recent outburst, However she did not reply in words; but rather through the mind “I have known for the duration of this battle that u possessed such powers, I often pondered how you had lasted so long, my most well-trained assassins could not bring you down. However, now I see what you are…but you mistake me….you assume that I am weak and a mere mortal wolf…that was a bad mistake. Your form will not go unused however…in fact it will be of great use to me in my battle for power.” It seemed that both wolves understood what the other was planning and as if simultaneously they transformed into their respective human forms. As they stood opposite each other; Laura in a tunic of gold, Hazel in one of pure black, they drew their swords. Laura was the first to make a move; she lunged at Hazel, Hazel tried to avoid the assault but when she ducked or dodged Laura lunged in the direction she was moving. It was as if she could read her mind. Laura swung her blade and Hazel screamed as it lacerated her jaw. She fell to her knees and yelled “YOU WILL PAY FOR THAT!” and as she looked up at Laura; her blade raised high ready to strike her dead. Hazel moved onto one knee and then flipped backwards with a quick elegance that would put most gods of grace in their places. She swung her blade around to block Laura's attack, swung again to the right and crossed swords with her at the neck.
 
Laura pushed against her foe's force on the blade and while struggling against Hazel's pure force, noticed her eyes change color to the deepest black she had ever seen, as dark as the sun is bright. As she watched in vain she realized her sight was fading. All she could see was black. Laura blinked, trying to remove this loss of sight but she couldn't shake it. It suddenly hit her; it was Hazel that was closing her vision off. So she pushed out with her blade and her mind and found Hazel's sight; using it for her own. She saw all that Hazel could see and from that could work out where to move. With extreme difficulty she tried to fight back, but as soon as she started, Hazel landed a wounding blow; straight through her right sword arm. The pain caused by her sword was too much; it burned like a fire and put her out of commission. Hazel had won, if Laura didn't flee, she wouldn't make it out alive. So with much reluctance and regret Laura turned into a wolf; her front right paw was inflicted with the same wound as her right arm. She used the visions of the animals nearby to guide her while she ran from hazel.
 
Laura ran off into a distance, blood trailing from her front leg. Nearly falling at every cliff face, she limped away at high speeds, but Hazel didn't have the energy to chase her, she was drained enough. Revenge should not be placed higher in value than her life. She stood and stared at the dead wolves that she had lived with for so long. And so Hazel swore that day, that she would not let her clan down; she would take her revenge someday.
 
From a distance a dark figure looked from the shadows. His cheek bones moving into what resembled a smile. He had won the first battle; the chain of events were in place. With the balance upset, the world would fall apart and he would gain the power to put it back together again. This time, it was going to be his world.
 
The bird burned like a ruby in clear sunlight. As it decended to the ground its wings spread with flames like a flickering fire in the night. About three feet above the ground, the glorious bird wove its wings around her body; like enveloping a baby in a soft cotton blanket. The wings gently folded inwards and turned into a human arm as the claws twisted quickly into legs and feet, while the bird's head turned into a human head. The bird had transformed into its human shape, the girl left standing where the phoenix had been before looked no older than 16. Her hair was red like the flame and her skin as pink as the desert rose. Her face filled with compassion and innocence. She walked to the water of the nearby lake, every step she took filled with grace. As she kneeled at the water's edge and cupped her hands, fish swam towards her; only wanting a glimpse. She scooped up some water in her open palms and washed her face with it. She wore an orange tunic laced with red and black belts and strips of cloth. Attached to her belt was a sheath; made from leather as black as the night sky. In the sheath was a sword; it's handle riddled with ancient glyphs and from it a slight ice blue glow could be seen by only the keenest of eyes. Her name is Taylor.
 
Watching in the shadows was an owl. He saw her lower her guard and swooped down from the branch to the ground. During his descent, his head changed to a human head, his beak, molded into a cunning grin, his claws twisted into legs and his wings formed into arms. And there he stood, next to a tree, a malevolent grin on his face, riddled with madness of which the world couldn't comprehend; standing on one leg, leaning against the tree. While his body was facing Taylor his head was turned to face against the water and into to the surrounding forest, his suspicious grin only looked more evil in the shadows of the surrounding green. His eyes piercing, staring at her through their corners, his outfit was one of brown and black, his belt carried an assortment of holders, but none of which looked like weapons. He lowered his hand and picked up a bright red rose from a holster in his pocket and said: “I prefer less…” and span his head forward to face Taylor “conventional ways of killing” His voice contained no trace of emotion apart from a slight aura of happiness; from the thrill of a kill.
 
Taylor faced the new stranger in the shadows and saw the rose, she was about to speak out and tell him he didn't who he was dealing with but he flicked his wrist with extreme force and the rose came fleeing towards her. She smiled and lifted her own hand with a speed like lightning; her hand flared up to the sky and she closed her hand around the rose perfectly; right in front of her chest. But as she grabbed, she felt metal, then pain. Her hand had been cut off. She looked at where the rose should have been but what was there instead was a knife. She looked up at Ruaridh and he laughed. Her gaze filled with anger, like a forest fire it built up around her, Flames soon covered her body and she shouted “How dare you strike an elemental! And with the forces of illusion too, you coward! Fight me with a blade like a man and I will show you what true pain feels like!” As she said this she grabbed her blade with her weaker hand and drew it. It glimmered in the sunlight and the area was cast in light blue, grass began to shimmer with frost, trees became encrusted in small bits of ice and animals fled from the sudden cold. Taylor knew she would take more serious wounds while fighting with her left hand but she was so angry she didn't care. She wanted this man dead. She ran at Ruaridh and he neither moved nor cared. She swung her blade at full force and as she made contact with the body; it disappeared. As the blade made contact with the ground an evil laugh floated through the forest and his voice came back: “I know I cannot defeat you yet, next time, you will not be so lucky,”
 
Taylor moved to the waters, her hand was now flowing with blood so she bathed it in the water. It stung like hell but she knew it would help. She tore off a strip of red cloth from her tunic and wrapped it around her hand. With a quick step she bounded off with the speed of a tiger. Only two thoughts in her mind: I must heal and he will pay.
 
The man sat with terror written on his face. He looked up at the demon like he would the jaws of death. He shouted out, his voice shaking with fear: “please, please, I… didn't do anything wrong. I'm sorry please I don't want to die!”
The shadowy figure he shouted at stared back with no pity or remorse. And replied, with a voice like stone: “I already know what will happen. You will die!” With a steely sound a sword was drawn. A few steps taken and the figure came into the light; a man, with the tail and wings of a dragon and two peculiar fangs sticking out from his over-bite; not quite human nor dragon. He wore a tunic, the colour could not be seen through the years of not caring. His name was not known but over the many years his name had become known as Shinigami. He struck downwards with his sword and cut off the man's head. Without regret or worry he turned away and ran off into the distance.