Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Eketa ❯ Aerith ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Aerith folded his arms as he sat on an ancient wall and watched the people walk on the street far below. His long raven hair blew in the breeze as he searched for his master. It would be much easier, he noted as he drummed his claws against a crumbling portion of wall, if he knew what his master looked like. If only his master's demonic powers had not been suppressed as an aftermath of the battle.
 
Aerith stood up and jumped off the wall. He descended onto the ground then smoothed down his robe. Perhaps traveling on foot would be easier. He wasn't sure why but he was drawn to the town of Ralonu. Ralonu had a strong holy influence which would normally make a demon like himself nervous but there was something else hidden in this quaint village. It was only an infrequent flicker like the flame of a candle about to go out but it was something familiar.
 
Aerith narrowed his eyes as some humans walked past him. He then relaxed when he sensed nothing coming from them. They were normal humans and he had nothing to fear. He folded his arms as he began walking then lowered his head as he thought about the situation he was in. It had been two years since he had lost his master. There had been a large battle between demons and the Church of Ildelia near the border of his master's realm. As a means of protection, his master had used a tremendous amount of power. The skies lit up with a blinding light and when the light had died down, his master was nowhere to be found. He hadn't died because Aerith had not sensed the soul of his master being spirited away. It was as if the soul had just...vanished.
 
Aerith paused when he neared a church and involuntarily shuddered. He hated the aura around churches. Their sole purpose was to wipe out demons and any self-respecting demon would feel threatened near one. He took a few steps away from the church then glanced beside him when he felt a hand on his shoulder. A young woman stood there wearing the official garb of the church. She wore a pale blue dress with gold embroidery and her auburn hair was tucked up neatly underneath her beret. The emblem of Ildelia was proudly emblazoned on the front of the beret and she bowed low in greeting.
 
“Good day to you sir. Would you like some spiritual guidance?” she inquired and Aerith flinched when she gently touched his hand.
 
“No thank you. I'm looking for someone,” Aerith replied then resisted when she tried to steer him closer to the church. He wondered if she had sensed his true nature and was preparing to take him somewhere out of the public eye. No, Aerith decided, she didn't emit the energy of a warrior. She was just someone trying to promote the church.
 
“Let our lord enlighten you. After all, we were all searching for someone at one time.”
 
“You don't understand. I'm actually looking for someone. A man,” Aerith said as the woman pulled him closer to the church.
 
“Then come in for guidance.”
 
Aerith felt his chest growing tight as he was drawn closer to the hand-engraved doors of the church. He had to think of a way out of this situation before a cleric sensed his aura. He did not want trouble if he could avoid it. Aerith reluctantly pulled out a money bag and opened it. If word got out that he, a high ranking demon donated money to the church...
 
“Would you like some money instead? I really need to continue on my way. It is quite imperative that I locate my ma...this man as soon as possible.”
 
“Why you are most kind sir and please, visit us when you are ready. Religion need not be a stranger to you. In the eyes of Ildelia everyone is equal,” the young woman said and gratefully took the money Aerith handed her. Aerith then quickly put as much distance between himself and the church and continued walking. He needed to find his master. He had spent two long years searching the land surrounding his master's home and he was quickly running out of time. The longer his master was away from his castle, the more vulnerable his realm was to a conquest. Also, the Annual Demonic Gathering would happen in a few short months and he could not show up without his master. Demons of all rank would be there. Especially one who had his eye on Aerith for his services for many years. If he got word that Aerith was without a master, he would most likely try and bid for his services. He did not want his hundredth attendance to the Demonic Gathering to go down as the worst night in his life.
 
Aerith yawned then sighed. He supposed he should find a place to sleep. Even demons needed their rest after all. Aerith continued walking until he reached the outskirts of town. He could have stayed at the village inn but he didn't want to be too close to the humans. Simply being in this holy town made him nervous and he didn't want to invite trouble. He was in enough trouble for being without a master. He didn't need the trouble brought on by the church. Oh, he could quite easily level a village of this size if he really wanted to but he preferred not to do anything until he was certain his master was not hiding somewhere in Ralonu. There had been a shred of familiarity lingering on the air around Ralonu when he had approached it and that had to be thoroughly investigated. He had to be certain that sensation had no ties to his master before he did anything drastic to the town.
 
Aerith's eyes narrowed when someone bumped into him. A thief? Someone would dare try to rob him? Even though he was a devoted servant to his master, he was almost equal in strength to a demon lord. Why he could even hold his own against an Ildelian Knight if he had to.
 
“Forgive me. I was rushing back to the church so I wasn't paying attention to where I was going. I had no idea it was so late,” a young man wearing cleric's robes said and Aerith looked at him. He was a young male in his early twenties with short golden hair, dark violet eyes, and an odd aura about him. There was something about him that seemed vaguely familiar to Aerith and he wasn't quite sure what it was. ”Are you hurt or anything? We have medical facilities at the church.”
 
“No I'm fine. Forgive me. You just seemed familiar for a moment. Strange though because we've never met before,” Aerith said and the young man took a step back.
 
“It is possible that we've met before. Perhaps a long time ago. I'm afraid I do not have any memory before two years ago. Now please excuse me. I am late in doing my duties. Perhaps you will visit the church sometime?”
 
“Perhaps,” Aerith replied and moved out of the cleric's way. He watched the cleric run off and folded his arms. That was not just a mere human. His eyes were too dark for a human and his pupils were oddly shaped. Those eyes resembled the eyes of a demon. He would have to keep an eye on this cleric. He could be the one Aerith was searching for but had two years really changed his master so much? Aerith had been positive that he would recognize his master no matter what the circumstance but now he was not so sure.
 
Aerith walked out of town and selected a comfortable looking tree. He would be so glad when he could sleep in his own bed back at the castle. He wished he had one of his blankets to wrap his body in. The sheep that had given up their wool to make his blanket were a rare breed existing only in the northern region of his master's realm. Because the sheep herders feared his master, they always got the best products. When it was time to kill livestock for meat, the castle always got the finest cuts. Humans justly feared his master and Aerith was certain that the incident two years ago had not been a mere accident.
 
It had happened in Beyesh, a merchant town that rested near the base of the Roen Mountains which served as the boundary for his master's realm. The clerics had brought their forces in secretly, Aerith noted as he ascended to the canopy of a tall tree. They had brought them over the border right underneath the watchful eyes of his master's minions.
 
Humans are so devious, Aerith thought as he wrapped his cloak close to his body. Clerics are especially devious. They do everything in the name of Ildelia yet they do not question the logic. My own relatives were killed near Blood Hill. Blood Hill...such an aptly named place. The resting place of hundreds of demons slaughtered by clerics for the good of the Ildelia church. They took the land of my people and built a cathedral there. All orders to the smaller churches scattered throughout this land come from that place. Thankfully most of the clerics in smaller villages are nothing to worry about but one never knows when he will meet up with one of their holy warriors. Even I could not stand up against an elite Ildelian Knight.
 
Aerith sighed as he gazed up into the night sky. He had to locate his master and soon. The Demonic Gathering could not be ignored and they needed to return home before some young demon got the idea to conquer his realm. He refused to work underneath any demon other than his master.
 
“Please show your humble servant a sign my lord,” Aerith said aloud then closed his eyes as he prepared to fall into a deep but watchful sleep.
 
Meanwhile back at the church, the young cleric began polishing the statue of Ildelia. He thought of his run-in with Aerith and sighed. Was it possible that he had met Aerith before? He had felt a slight twinge when Aerith had spoken to him but he was not sure of its significance. Everything before he had been taken to the church was a blank.
 
“What's the matter Lakel?” a young woman asked as she sat down on a bench and the cleric glanced up.
 
“Nothing. I ran into someone on my way back here. I've never seen him before but I felt a strange energy coming from him. It seemed...vaguely familiar,” the cleric replied.
 
“Perhaps this person lives where you used to live. Have you remembered anything about your home?”
 
“No but I hope I see him tomorrow. I want to confirm what I sensed. If he is from where I used to live then I want to know more.”
 
“You say you met a stranger with an odd aura about him?” a priest inquired and Lakel glanced up.
 
“Yes sir. He said I seemed familiar to him for a moment,” Lakel replied and the priest frowned. “Do you think this man means trouble?”
 
“I cannot be certain from your description but it is quite possible there's a demon in this area. There hasn't been a lot of activity from the demons lately and that's been worrying me. They're sure to be planning something.”
 
“Why would there be a demon here?”
 
“Demons do not need a reason for the destruction they cause. I would advise you to be wary about this stranger should you run into him again. If he is a demon, your skills are not advanced enough to stand up against that magnitude of evil. Now finish your duties then get some sleep. We mustn't forget that you're still suffering from a loss of memory.”
 
“I wonder if anyone is searching for me from my home wherever that might be,” Lakel said as he continued his polishing. He tried hard to remember anything before he became a member of the church but he found that he was still drawing a blank.
 
He put away his cloth then lowered his head in prayer. Why couldn't Ildelia do something to help him regain his memory? He raised his head and stood up. It was getting late and he needed his sleep. Hopefully some of his questions would be answered in the morning.