Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Exile's Road ❯ Chapter 2

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Exile's Road: Two

Midori walked out of the back of the inn into the courtyard of 'The Drunken Bard', her short black hair swept back from her face casually. She wore simple cotton garb, loose, comfortable clothes perfect for the morning's work. With a soft hiss she drew her sword from the black sheath, standing there on the rain dampened stones.

'The city smells clean,' Midori found herself thinking to herself sadly, 'too bad it won't last.'

Sword raised she began, moving gracefully through the stylized poses of her style of combat. Midori battled silently against an invisible opponent, footing sure and eyes clear, her speed increasing as she continued on. In the end her sword was a silver blur, real danger in her motions before she came to a halt in the same pose she had begun in.

Softly clapping her hands a blonde emerged from the shadows, the elegant woman smiling slightly if a bit coldly. "I should come by here more mornings," Lady Jane noted, her fine gown swirling around her legs, "to see such a thing."

Midori slid the sword away, calmly noting the lady's bodyguard who was standing nearby in the concealment of the shadows. "I'm sorry you had to leave so quickly last night," she said dryly, "it was all quite entertaining."

A bit of a flush appeared on Jane's cheeks but she met Midori's eyes steadily. "I wanted to apologize to you for leaving like that," she said, "and I hope you didn't get into too much trouble."

"No trouble," Midori shook her head with a slight smile, "I had a bard as well as the master of the bar to speak for me."

"Then I'm glad," Jane flashed her a warmer smile, the unobtrusive bodyguard waiting patiently for her to finish.

'The boy's a professional,' Midori found herself noting and wondering again who this young noblewoman was. "If you'll excuse me, I haven't breakfasted yet," Midori said crisply, and with that she turned and walked away.

"You just left her there?" Garrison blurted out, dishing her up a bowl of the thick morning porridge he made for all the guests. "She even came by when you were not at work, there's obviously interest there," he grumbled.

Midori smiled wryly, taking in the heavily muscled man who was sitting down across from her. Despite his tough exterior the bar's owner really reminded her of one of the old grandmothers from back home, a unapologetic gossip.

"I'm sure that she had her own reasons to be out here," Midori calmly answered him, eating some of the steaming porridge.

"Oh come on," Garrison protested.

"And even if she sought me out," Midori pointed out, "it may not be for the reasons you think." She frowned thoughtfully, "This is not the part of town that a noble lady like that should be visiting and I don't like the smell of it."

"You really don't want that pretty little blonde attracted to you?" Garrison asked with an impish little smile.

Midori felt herself blush slightly and decided to change the subject. "Commander Hudson asked me to visit the barracks today," she said, "when do you think you'll need me back here?"

"You in trouble?" Garrison asked with a frown.

"Na," Midori shook her head firmly, "from what he said last night I think he's just curious about me." She smiled, "I figure I should go satisfy that curiosity before he starts asking around with inconvenient questions."

"Just watch yourself," Garrison said seriously, "he's not just some political appointee. That man knows his business."

"Think he wants to recruit me?" Midori raised an eyebrow. She had been thinking just that earlier, but she'd like to hear Garrison's opinion on the older officer.

"More than possible," Garrison agreed. He smiled wryly as he looked at her, "I won't be pleased if he snatches away the best bouncer I've had in ages."

"There's not much he can offer me that I'd join the army," Midori said seriously, "I much prefer being a free sword, thanks."

Garrison looked around the room, noticing the early risers finally stirring from their beds. "I've got to get to work," he said, "watch yourself, all right?"

"I always do," Midori gave him a half salute as he walked off to get the maids to work.

She finished up eating Garrison's porridge in a few moments, slipping away to go to her room under the roof. It was a bit too small for guests but Midori found it comfortable enough. Her things were mostly packed away in a small trunk at the end of the bed, a few items of clothes handing from the tilted roof. She stripped her light clothes off, grabbing a robe before heading down into the baths for a quick morning wash.

"Oh," one of the working girls from last night moved to get out of the steaming wooden tub but Midori waved her back to her seat. She took a soap sliver and rag and scrubbed herself clean, then Midori smoothly climbed into the water.

"Yes?" Midori asked, feeling the girl's gaze on her.

"Seeing you at work in the bar," the redheaded girl was blushing faintly, looking at Midori's smaller but well shaped breasts, "I sometimes forget you're a woman."

"Disappointed?" Midori asked casually, feeling the gentle heat of the water ease the pain of the old scars that covered much of her slim body.

She rose from the water, the liquid cascading down her slim but beautiful form. "No, I'm not disappointed at all," she said with a smile, climbing out so that she passed Midori. She stood beside the great tub, a bit of her gentle scent remaining despite the water as she said, "If you ever want company, ask around for Angela."

Midori watched her go, for once struck silent. 'If I ever tell Garrison about this,' she thought as she settled back with a sigh, 'I'll never hear the end of it.' She stayed in the waters for a bit, then rose to dry herself off and pull her rose back around her.

Dressing in her room Midori chose her clothes with care. She didn't want to be too formal, but she didn't want to disrespect the commander, either. Finally she pulled on her work clothes, the heavy wool shirt, leather pants and tough vest, reasoning that it was as close to a uniform as she had. She hesitated over her sword a moment then belted it around her waist, feeling oddly comforted by the weight of the bastard sword on her hip.

Garrison returned her wave with a grave nod as she headed out the front door of the inn out onto the street. The clean scent of this morning had already begun to give way to the day, horse shit, food and other odors all mixing in the city air.

Midori nodded her greetings to nearby businesses as she navigated the cobblestone streets, the wooden buildings rising up on either side of her. The bread maker, wine merchant and others had come to know her pretty well over the past several months. She made her way from the docks in to the city, angling towards the walls that shielded the land side of this port town.

The castle rose up to the side of her and Midori paused for a moment to take it in with a wry smile. Back home such things were thought to be a waste of time, ultimately undefendable against a determined adversary. Still, it was lovely to look at, the central building with spires rising up on either side, bright flags flying.

The new Queen resided there, but how long she'd stay was anyone's guess. Inheriting the throne from her brother was bad enough but there was a list of nobles as long as her arm looking at this kingdom longingly. The betting pools on the docks were popular, but Midori hadn't placed any bets. Not out of any sense of loyalty, of course, but simply because she didn't know if the armies would stand behind the girl.

'Not that any of it's my business,' Midori firmly reminded herself. The barracks weren't far from the castle, also not far from the outer walls. 'At least they didn't build them right up against the wall,' Midori mused, 'someone knocks that down they'd have been dead.'

In front of the large barracks buildings a group of young men cleaned the streets, heavy brushes and soapy water being used to scrub the stones clean. One looked up as she neared and she recognized him as one of the fools from last night.

Obviously he recognized her, too, as he growled, "You!"

"Good morrow," Midori nodded, giving him a dangerous smile. The boy quieted almost immediately, all three noticing the sword she wore at her side.

"Welcome," a soldier stood guard by the building's entrance, looking her over thoughtfully. He obviously found it odd to see a woman carrying a sword, but the blonde boy didn't comment on it as he said, "How can I help you?"

"My name is Midori, Commander Hudson asked to see me," Midori said to the guard crisply, meeting his gaze defiantly.

The young man stood straighter, slightly, as he said, "Yes ma'am, he left word." He waved to a page crossing the hall and ordered, "Escort her to the Commander's office."

"Sir," the page nodded, his red hair sweaty from exertion. The boy was barely out of his teens, slim, but he moved with a gentle grace as he said, "Come with me, ma'am."

The place was busy with noises, in one section she could hear sword drills going on, another lectures to young men, and in another the sound of heavy physical labor. The office wasn't that far in, the boy announcing their presence as they reached the wooden door.

"Come in," the Commander sighed and Midori headed in. The office was mostly empty, a chair in front of the desk that the Commander sat behind. He sorted papers, a fierce frown on his face as he worked. "Welcome," he looked up, setting the sheets aside.

"You wanted to see me?" Midori asked, standing there calmly as the page left.

"Attention!" Hudson snapped, command in his voice.

Midori jerked up in reflex, tossing off her people's flat handed salute even before she realized what she was doing. She scowled, bringing her hand down as she barked at him, "What in the hells was all that about?!"

"I thought you were a soldier once," Hudson nodded thoughtfully.

Midori turned to leave as she snarled, "Not any more."

Before she was out the door Hudson quietly said, "I need your help."

To be continued....