Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Exile's Road ❯ Chapter 11

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Exile's Road: Eleven
 
The home was quiet as the three women returned from the castle, the streets busy and packed with people. Both Midori and Laur'ien were spaced out around Jantha as they walked, warding her simply but effectively from the crowd.
 
Elise bowed as she opened the door, the little redhead wearing a black dress. "M'lady," she smiled, her glance flickering to Midori and Laur'ien, "welcome home."
 
"Thank you," Jantha smiled at her servant, then reluctantly gave way as Midori carefully looked around the whole entrance way. "We haven't been invaded, I think," the lovely blonde scolded her bodyguard.
 
"Better to be safe," Midori answered mildly, short black hair falling into her eyes as she gestured for the others to enter first.
 
"Good to see you again," Laur'ien murmured to Elisa, only getting a frown from the pretty young lady. 'Obviously she hasn't forgiven me just yet,' she mused.
 
"Cook has started your dinner as usual," Elisa tried to follow at a respectful distance until a smiling Jantha ordered her to walk beside her, "an' the bath water is being heated for later."
 
"Y'know, I could get used to this," Laur'ien whispered to Midori, the two following behind as the lady and her maid talked.
 
"Not me," Midori shook her head, "I prefer my rooms at the inn, honestly."
 
"You seem to like to appear a savage," Laur'ien said with a smile, "but from what I've heard of the eastern lands they're very civilized."
 
Midori raised a eyebrow as she continued mildly, "Why do you think I left?"
 
Laur'ien chuckled softly at that comment. "One day," she warned only half jokingly, "I will know your secrets."
 
Jantha found herself nodding thoughtfully as she deliberately overheard them talking together. 'Midori certainly seems to like to keep her secrets,' she mused. When they reached her bedroom door Midori silently opened the door, quickly scanning the interior for anything out of place.
 
"M'lady," Elisa tentatively added before Jantha could go inside, "the Countess Hazan and her... companion, Ra'hel were here earlier, asking to see you. I understand they intend to visit you again tomorrow."
 
Jantha visibly stiffened up, then she relaxed. "Thank you, Elisa," she said softly, "I'll be ready to see them tomorrow."
 
Laur'ien and Midori exchanged curious looks at her reaction, then they cautiously followed her into the bedroom. Behind a wooden screen Jantha quickly went to work stripping off her formal gown, exchanging it for a casual dress even as Midori mildly asked, "Is this Countess someone we need to worry about?"
 
"No," Jantha said flatly.
 
Raising an eyebrow Midori looked at Laur'ien, who had a wry smile on her pretty face. "From what I've heard the Countess Hazan is the leader of the Guild of Gentlewomen," she whispered to Midori softly in explanation.
 
Midori frowned, "There is no such guild."
 
"True enough," Laur'ien agreed, "but they're trying to organize such a thing, with broad support across every class of women in the city."
 
"An' how come I've ne'er heard of them?" Midori frowned.
 
"They're quite foolish in some ways?" Jantha offered in explanation as she stepped out from behind the screen in a much simpler sort of dress. Her eyes twinkled with amusement as she pointed out, "Why, I would have thought that at least some of the members would have heard the Ballad of the Magnificent Midori."
 
Midori groaned as Laur'ien chuckled softly.
 
A bit more seriously Jantha continued, "And to be honest, I think they'd be nervous in approaching the city's hire-swords."
 
Laur'ien tried not to laugh as she recalled, "The ones who came to us in the barracks looked like they were going to faint."
 
'An' it seems pretty clear that the Duchess doesn't like them,' Midori thought as they left all the bedroom, 'but why?'
 
The afternoon shifted to evening, a few friends of Jantha paying calls, then she headed to bed even as Midori and Laur'ien took turns at standing watch through the night. The next day was a little quieter, Jantha only paying a few calls to the embassies of several local kingdoms. Few of them seemed bothered by the presence of the two bodyguards, diplomats and nobles of that level were used to dealing with such things.
 
"Did that go as badly as I thought it did?" Laur'ien asked as they went along the Street of Gold, the main avenue through the high class part of the city.
 
Jantha's lips were pressed into a flat line. "Yes," she quietly conceded, "especially the last one. It seems that his lord and master is nearly drooling over the idea of having a ruler they regard as weak on the throne."
 
"They'll be in for a rude awakening," Midori commented, thinking of her meeting with Queen Gwen. If this woman was anything, it wasn't weak.
 
There was a soft snort of laughter from Jantha, "True enough."
 
A soft sound from Laur'ien caught their attention as they neared Jantha's home, "Looks like some guests have arrived."
 
The fine home was an older building, the stone and brick made by the best artisans of that era, designed to stand boldly apart from the common people. Balconies swung out of the upper floors, towers on the top floor providing a view of the city around them. Standing inn front of the fine building were two women, each as different as night and day.
 
The tall, black haired woman wore men's trousers, a long overcoat and white undershirt, giving her an oddly masculine air despite her grace. Her face couldn't be described as beautiful, there was far too much strength for that, but handsome might fit. Beside her a young blonde haired woman rested her legs as she sat on her step, being careful to not wrinkle her flowing dress, her elfin face filled with a gentle adoration as she talked to her companion.
 
Midori reflexedly moved Jantha behind her when the noblewoman put a warning hand up. "It's all right," Jantha said, "they're... friends, of a sort."
 
"I'm hurt," the tall woman tried to joke, but something in her eyes said those words were truthful. She studied Midori a moment then bowed, "I am the Countess Hazan." Her eyes tended to Laur'ien and she smiled slightly, "We've met, I recall?"
 
"M'lady," Laur'ien nodded with a smile.
 
"What do you want?" Jantha said, frowning at the two of them. She stood there with her arms crossed, a frown on her face, and almost everything in her posture indicating that she wasn't at all pleased to see them.
 
"Not to talk about this on the street, I hope," the lovely blonde murmured.
 
"Ra'hel may have a point," Hazan said, her gaze silently appealing to Jantha.
 
Jantha pressed her lips together in annoyance but nodded curtly. "Come in," she said, letting Midori go first to open the door, the rest of them following inside.
 
"I'm sorry," Laur'ien stopped Ra'hel at the door, "I need you to surrender your knives before you can come inside."
 
"I don't have..." Ra'hel trailed off when she saw the look in Laur'ien's eyes.
 
With surprising firmness Laur'ien coldly said, "I will not allow anyone carrying concealed arms to meet with m'lady." A pause before she quietly added, "No matter where my personal sympathies may lay."
 
With reluctance Ra'hel drew a knife from between her breasts, another concealed within her sleeve and handed them over, "Now may I enter?"
 
"As soon as you give me the blade strapped to your thigh."
 
Ra'hel blinked then laughed musically as she conceded, "You are good." Drawing up her long dress she revealed the sheath strapped to her thigh and pulled free a wicked looking blade.
 
'An interesting pair,' Midori thought as they walked into the house, 'I wonder what they want with Jantha? Or what they did to annoy her so much?'
 
"M'lady," Elisa bowed, "I'm sorry for not letting in your guests, but from what you said..."
 
"I'd be more annoyed if you had," Jantha cut her off. "Is the drawing room ready?"
 
"Of course," Elisa nodded, "should I bring drinks?"
 
Jantha looked at her two guests and sighed, "Yes, I'll probably need it."
 
To be continued...