Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Exile's Road ❯ Chapter 18

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Exile’s Road: Eighteen

The bard Nathaniel felt a certain degree of nervousness as he joined the other players, looking around the royal court in awe. He was still quite junior in the guild, and normally the redheaded young man would never have played in such a place. However, the master of the lute was ill and finding another player had been more difficult than normal, considering the ongoing siege of the city.

‘Incredible,’ Nathaniel thought as he swept the master ballroom with his eyes, taking in the finery and the members of the nobility. There was Lord Halden, the infamous womanizer, and over there was the notorious Countess Hazan and her lover Ra’hel, along with the drunken Earl Tatya. The Queen stood off to one side amid her loyal courtiers, including her dear cousin the Duchess Jantha.

And of course looming over them nearby was Nathaniel’s old friend, Midori. The tall black haired woman had traded in her usual rough wool and leather for a finer set of guard’s equipment, including a light chain-mail shirt and a tabard with the heraldry of Duchess Jantha. She looked comfortable hefting her oaken staff, a sword belted at her side as she coolly swept the crowd with her eyes.

‘She may dress a bit different,’ Nathaniel mused as he and the others set up, ‘but it doesn’t seem she’s changed much.’

The master bard Lackey nodded to the others as she said briskly, “We’ll mostly be playing dancing music, but we’ll also be taking requests from the nobility.” The silver-brown haired woman smiled wryly, “I hope you all remember the popular ballads.”

The younger black haired bard Pallas smiled as the woman tossed Nathaniel a impish look and asked, “Do you think we’ll be playing the Ballad of Magnificent Midori?”

A quiet chuckle ran through the group as Lackey smiled wryly. “If it gets requested,” she said, “we’ll play it.”

“If so,” Nathaniel asked the group with a slight grin, “can I have a head start to run away from Midori?”

“Doesn’t she know about the tradition of bardic immunity?” his friend Arthur asked, the blonde haired man checking over his pipes.

“I don’t think she’s kill me.” Nathaniel said to him dryly, “but bardic immunity probably doesn’t cover her beating me senseless.”

Lackey laughed softly, “We’ll do our best to buy you time.” More seriously she said, “Looks like we need to start.”

They started with just a few instrumental pieces, providing a soft background to the many conversations. Lords and Ladies moved about in the ritualistic dance of politics, meeting friends and foes to feel out their positions on the issues of the day, trying to nudge them a little towards their point of view.

The Queen’s viceroy Richard made his way over, nodding respectfully as Lackey finished the latest tune. “Could we have something lively?” he requested, his silver hair falling around his face. “I believe there’s going to be dancing....”

“Of course,” Lackey said respectfully, “any requests?”

Richard’s eyes twinkled in amusement as he asked, “I’ve long wanted to hear the whole Ballad of Magnificent Midori.”

Nathaniel nearly choked as the other band members chuckled. “Of course, m’lord,” Pallas smiled at him sweetly.

“We’re going to need a singer,” Lackey nodded to Nathaniel, “and as it’s your song....”

“I’m going to die,” Nathaniel sighed as they prepared.

“On three,” Arthur murmured as he began to play the first notes on his pipes.

From out of the east she came,
Strong in arm, tall in frame,
And soon all will know her story,
The tale of Magnificent Midori!

Nathaniel fought a grin as Midori whipped around, recognizing his voice in the band. She looked kind of stunned, standing there, but the fair Duchess Jantha looked truly pleased, her blue eyes dancing with amusement.

Crossing the plains she used her sword
Staff and shield for no reward
A maidens kiss was all she asked
No greater reward for heroic task

The song continued onward as it chronicled famous bar fights after Midori arrived in town, the women she had saved and battles won. Eventually Nathaniel chronicled the arrival of Duchess Jantha, her hiring as a bodyguard and her battles with the assassins before finally running down to a close.

“Well done!” one noble called out as the others clapped happily, cheering.

Nathaniel bowed as he saw the Duchess Jantha and her guards approaching. “Uh oh,” he murmured nervously.

“Should I try to stall them?” Lackey offered seriously.

“Let’s see what happens,” Nathaniel sighed.

“Oh, well done,” Jantha’s eyes twinkled with mirth, her blonde hair carefully pinned up on her head, a few curls drifting down over her cheek.

“Thank you, m’lady,” Nathaniel bowed before adding daringly, “we’ve missed you down at the Drunken Bard.”

Jantha looked amused as she said, “We’ve been a bit busy.”

Pallas looked up at Midori as she asked, “An’ how did you like your song?”

Midori rolled her eyes, “I could have done without it, thanks.” She looked at Nathaniel with a faintly pained look, “I would have thought you’d have given up on it long ago.”

Nathaniel shook his head, “Midori, you’re becoming famous even without the song. I’ve even had people coming to me with stories to add to it!”

Laur’ien looked amused as the tawny haired fighter noted, “You added a new verse about her fighting down at the docks, too.”

Lackey chuckled, “Even I heard the story of her rescuing the street walker down there.”

Midori blushed slightly, “The tale has grown in the telling, believe me.”

“I’m sure,” Jantha said, giving Midori a skeptical look.

Noticing one of the other nobles giving them a pointed look Lackey smiled, “Sorry, but it looks like we need to get back to playing.”

“Bad King Manatabe?” Arthur suggested a popular comic ballad.

“Sounds good,” Lackey agreed and they began to play.

The band played on with a few breaks over the next few hours, trading off instruments and singing turns as they stuck with lively songs and comic ballads to lighten the general mood. Finally the party eased to a close as the band was paid and prepared to go.

Richard smiled as he handed over the bag of coin to Lackey, then surprised the others by giving them each a small tip too. “Very good work,” he said, “the Queen was pleased.”

“It was a honor to serve,” Lackey nodded to him in a semi-bow.

“And thank you, Nathaniel,” Richard added, “your ballad was quite entertaining.”

Nathaniel actually blushed a bit, “Thank you, sir.”

“Commander Hudson was wondering,” Richard looked curious, “did you manage to find out where Midori comes from?”

“No,” Nathaniel admitted, “just that she comes from the eastern kingdoms. Possibly Edo, might even be farther away, no one seems sure.”

“I see,” Richard nodded, clearly filing the information away for later. “Thank you for your help,” he added politely.

The group was lead by guards out of the palace, breathing out a sigh of relief when they crossed into the walled city outside. “Nice job, everyone,” Lackey said, “you do good work.”

“Thank you for inviting me in,” Nathaniel said respectfully.

Pallas chuckled, “We’re lucky we called you in, we got so many tips for playing the Midori song.”

“You were pretty good, journeyman,” Lackey told Nathaiel seriously, “if we’re short a person again, I’ll ask for you.”

Nathaniel grinned, “I’d be honored.”

About half of them headed back to the guild hall but Nathaniel had promised to at least visit the Drunken Bard that night. For reasons of her own Pallas followed, the slightly shorter woman sticking close to him for comfort.

“I’m rather surprised you play at the ‘Bard so often,” Pallas noted.

“It started out as a punishment but I’ve found I like the place,” Nathaniel said thoughtfully. “It’s a bit rough around the edges but has a certain charm.”

“Maybe you can show me that charm,” Pallas suggested as she smoothly took his hand.

Nathaniel looked a bit startled then smiled back, “I’ll do my best.”

To be continued....