Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Felix Felicis ❯ What am I Doing Here? ( Chapter 3 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

"You have a bear?" Sedo asked, both incredulous and amused. I grinned.
 
"Yup!" I replied cheerfully. "Her name is Artemis. I got the idea from this wonderful book I read a few years ago. This young boy, he's a genius, and he wanted to kidnap a-"
 
"Fairy." Sedo said, cutting me off.
 
I quirked my head.
 
"I read it before. So you named your bear 'Artemis Fowl'? Won't Eoin Colfer be slightly disappointed you named a stuffed animal after his character?" Sedo said, snatching Artemis away from my.
 
"Hey! Give her back!" I shouted, snatching her back. When I had her in my arms, I said quietly, "This is the last thing my mother gave me before she died."
 
Sedo's grin faded. "I'm sorry." He mumbled, a look of understanding in his eyes. "You too, huh? I guess that makes all of us."
 
"What?" I asked, confused.
 
"We're all orphans, here. You lost your father, too, didn't you? I can see it in your eyes." He mumbled. "Probably a sibling, too."
 
I nodded numbly, not used to being understood so easily. "My brother... "
 
Even Angel, when we met, took a week before she'd realized it. I wonder where she is right now. Fara and Rauni to...
 
"Where's everyone else?" I asked abruptly.
 
"What do you mean?" Sedo replied.
 
A report of a murder cut into the movie we'd been watching on TV. It was apparently in our area. I was unconsciously squeezing the stuffing out of my Artemis.
 
"There's got to be more people than us four." I explained.
 
"Oh, yeah. Thousands..." Sedo replied, suddenly moving toward the TV. "Oh, no..." He said, looking at the body.
 
"What?" I asked, crawling forward as well.
 
"He's on the loose." Sedo said absentmindedly. The investigators had found some weird shape written in red on the victim's body.
 
"Who?" I asked.
 
Sedo seemed to snap out of his monosyllabic stupor. "A very evil person who probably is looking for us. He has been for nearly three years."
 
"Who is it though?" I asked, squeezing my poor Artemis even tighter.
 
"That's the thing, we don't even know."
 
~
 
After that little ordeal, we avoided the television all together.
 
~
 
"So, are you ready?" Sedo asked.
 
"For what?" I asked, confused.
 
"Did you think we'd be here forever? This is just a mini-base. We're heading to the main place soon. Tomorrow, I think." Sedo explained.
 
"Oh. Well, even if you had told me that, I wouldn't be ready." I said, glancing at my room. I was well-organized, sure, but cleaning up wasn't the problem. This place already felt like home. I didn't want to leave.
 
"Well, you'd better get packing. It's late now, and we're leaving at dawn." Someone said, from vaguely around the door. Dolo, of course.
 
"Yeah." Sedo glanced at his watch. "And I'm going to bed, night."
 
I looked at the clock on my wall. It was 10 PM. "Wow, time flies." I muttered.
 
My door closed. I head two sets of footsteps heading down the hallway. I flopped down on my bed, suddenly exhausted.
 
Allowing my thoughts to drift, I stared at the ceiling.
 
~
 
Laughing with Mama...
 
"I love my two girls so much!" Mama would coo, hugging Sam and I tightly.
 
I giggled. "Mama, Sammy is a boy!" I said.
 
"Are you sure?" She asked. "I recall that you managed to pin him for a whole tem minutes yesterday!"
 
Beating up Sam, even though he was twice my size...
 
~
 
Crying with Mama, loosing her other daughter...
 
~
 
Meeting Angel Parakai, the sister I almost had...
 
"Hi, I couldn't help but notice you looked kinda sad. Do you wanna go get some ice cream?" Asked a girl who looked extremely like me.
 
I looked up, wiping my face with my already damp sleeve. "Okay." I sniffed. I was silent for a while before muttering. "My name's Felixia, but Mama always calls me Felix."
 
The girl smiled, "I'm Angela, but my Mama used to call me Angel."
~
 
Falling in love with Amo...
 
I screamed, falling to the ground. "Angel!" I cried, unable to tear my gaze from her limp body. Blood was slowly, but all to quickly, flowing out of a fresh hole in her stomach.
 
The man came at me next. He pulled whipped his knife on his pants, the blade glistening in the moonlight. "You're next, girly." He snickered, blood lust making his eyes glow a fiery red.
 
I closed my eyes, lacking the bravery to even keep them open. I waited, but I didn't feel the knife pierce me. I forced myself to open my eyes, gasping when I did. A boy was standing over me, protecting me. He easily brought our attacker to his knees, then all fours. With only one blow - a simple jab with his sword's sheath - he had knocked the man out.
 
The boy turned to me, giving me a once over. "Are you alright?" He asked.
 
I nodded weakly, tears welling up in my eyes. "T-thank you." I whispered. Suddenly, coherent thought entered my mind again. "Angel!" I shouted, feeling a sudden surge of energy. I ran over to her, skinning my knees when I dropped, still moving quickly, to the pavement. She wasn't moving at all.
 
I felt a hand on my shoulder. "Move over, I can talk care of her." It was the boy who had protected me. I did as he said, watching in amazement while he fished a roll of bandages out of his field bag, quickly wrapping up Angel's stomach wound.
 
I couldn't say anything for a long while. Finally, I managed to ask, "Who are you?"
 
He didn't answer at first, just put some ointment on my knees. When he'd finished, he put two fingers on my neck, checking my pulse. "Good, you haven't gone into shock. I'm Amo." He said.
 
~
 
Screaming when I saw Amo covered with blood...
 
"Amo!" I gasped running to his side. "Are you alright? Here, sit down, I'll get some bandages." I said, leading him to a chair at my kitchen table. I then ran to a cabinet, grabbing a very long roll of bandages.
 
"Felix, calm down, I'm alright, really." Amo said, both annoyed and glad about how I was always worried about him. "It's just a tiny cut." He said.
 
Regardless, I bandaged up the (three inch long) slit in his leg. "How did you get this one?" I asked nervously.
 
"Another assassination." Was all he muttered.
 
"Well, you're okay now, right?" I asked, sitting down next to him. He nodded.
 
I decided to let him stay the night in my room, while I bunked on the couch. He ended up taking me upstairs with him, and we slept next to each other. Nothing happened, though.
 
I woke up in the morning, slowly, comfortably. I shifted, then a shiver ran through my body. I sat bolt upright. Amo was gone.
 
That was the last I ever saw of him. I'd heard that he's been captured by one of our enemies, but I knew otherwise.
 
He'd been murdered...
 
I sat up quickly, gasping. My heart was racing and I was covered in sweat. I glanced at the clock. 4 AM.
 
I sighed, plopping back down on my bed. "Amo..." I whispered, feeling my eyes well up.
 
As fighters, we are not to have emotion. None at all.
 
Being in Secret Forces, that went double with us.
 
Regardless, I let the tears spill over. I've really lost everything...