Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Game of Revenge ❯ Chapter 12

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Sergeant Douglas's footsteps echoed against the dark sides of the buildings that lined the street she took on her way home. The department had been swamped the past few days, and Jack Harper's attitude had become the least of her worries. Let him stay holed up in that crummy office of his, at least he was out of her way. It wasn't that he was stupid, but Allison had never really liked Harper from the beginning, he always seemed broody and complained about not getting any cases. She was sick of putting up with him. If he wanted cases, he could get out and start to work for himself again. In fact, Allison had been considering kicking him out the door for good just before this whole fiasco had started.
Allison started suddenly and glanced about into the darkness beyond the pools of light created by the evenly spaced lampposts. It was late November, and her breath misted out from between her lips as she strained her ears to listen for the tap of shoes on cobblestone. Hearing nothing, she shrugged her coat closer around her shoulders before continuing on.
There it was again, this time unmistakable. Allison whipped around, her breath quickening.
“Who's there?” her voice was shaky, but she held on to a determined calm. The night gave her no answer, and she turned towards her home and strode briskly forward, the first tendrils of fear nipping at the base of her neck. Three blocks left…Two blocks left…she counted. And then the voice came out of the dark, from nowhere, causing her heart to freeze in a shell of ice.
“Hello Allison.”
She turned, and as the figure stepped into the aura of the streetlamp, her eyes grew wide with terror and as it raised the long glittering knife into the air, the moon reflecting off its cruel beauty, Allison Douglas, police sergeant, screamed.