Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Garrotte ❯ Engagement Acceptance ( Chapter 1 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Chapter 1: Engagement Acceptance
 
Socks, watch, shoes; public transportation pass…calculator. Essential materials, usually not thought of, when preparing for a new job. But to days job was different. Garret L. Jones tucked his slim 2 inch by 3 inch calculator in to the breast pocket of his polo shirt and proceeded toward the door of his apartment
 
The damp November morning greeted him with mist. Only in Bermuda, did the humidity make you feel like you were drinking a cup full of water ever time you inhale. The sun shone magnificently through the cedar tree branches out side the apartment. A ray of sun shone down on Garret as he kicked up the stand on his bicycle.
 
Traffic was scarce, but at 8:20, only the truly eager were heading to work in the city. The anticipation of new colleges and engagements was what Garret looked forward to. He had worked in a firm since graduation and could only imagine the variety of work he could do working for the Bermuda National Audit Office. Preferably he wanted to audit a golf course, or some scandal ridden government department.
 
He idly wondered if anyone actually knew where the office was actually located since there were no overt signs stating its location in the old Bermuda stone building next to the park. He secured his bike to a fence pole near the rear of the building and detached the seat and front wheel to place under his desk. An old habit learned from a theft experience.
 
Walking bake to the front of the building he spotted an old man observing him from across the street, yelling something incoherent. AS he approached he heard him yell.
 
“Dem byes don't know. Dem byes don't know the man knows what they know, but no one wants no one to know what them byes don't what them to know.”
 
The man's stilted jittery, apparently involuntary, movements led Garrett to dismiss the ranting as the ratings of a vagrant or drug addict. He casually glanced at the man to ensure there was no physical threat to him or other individuals in the area then proceeded push the door in to the building. The door did not open.
 
Damn, timed security locks. He was to be issued a security pass card that morning during his orientation. He then remembered during his phone call a few days before his boss had mentioned the main door's lock disengaged at 8:30 AM and passes were needed if arriving before. He checked his watch: 8:34:50 AM.
 
He sighed a readjusted the cycle seat and wheel in his left arm. He saw the familiar face of a new co-worker as they parked and dismounted an auxiliary cycle in front of him.
 
“Good morning,” he said.
 
“Good morning,” Garret responded to the traditional amiable Bermudian greeting.
 
The co-worker lunged up the stairs glancing quickly at his watch, and pushed open the entrance door. Shocked Garret gaped for a second then slid through the door before it could close, fearing the lock might reengage.
 
“How did you do that? I just tired the door and it wouldn't open.” He exclaimed to the man now removing his crash helmet.
 
“Time discrepancy” he paused eyeing Garret like an intruder, then relaxed when recognition stuck him. “You must be the new guy. I'm Erick Bean, one of the managers”
 
Garret shook Erick's extended hand and looked quizzically at the new acquaintance.
 
“There's a time discrepancy between the actual time and the time the security system runs on. You should have been her for fall daylight savings; I nearly bashed my face in cause someone forgot to reset the timer.” He said with a big smile and a slight chuckle.
 
Erick noticed the bemused expression slowly fade from Garret's face and ease into a grin. Erick was expecting at least some sort of verbal reaction but a grin would have to suffice.
 
“Garry should be in soon, to get you settled… follow me I'll show you haw to work the coffee machine.”
 
Garret followed him past the receptionist desk, into the surprisingly large office. He didn't have the heart (or the seniority) to state that he didn't drink coffee.
 
 
* * *
 
5 hours, 10 forms, 11 introductions, and 1 orientation session later, Garret finally got to actually sit at his desk. It was more a cubical to be precise but tucked in the back of the office by the old audit files and spare boxes. Quiet, he thought. At least they gave hi lunch at the orientation, the 3 hour orientation. Who knew the NAO required all its employees to know the proper way to address a Member of Parliament or Minister of the Environment. That had taken an hour in itself.
 
Garret began to organise his desk. The receptionist had kindly issued him his supplies while he was detained in orientation activities. Stapler, 4 pens (Black, blue, red and green), one mechanical pencil, one regular pencil, and eraser, a two hole punch and a tape dispenser and a box of transparent tape. He wondered why no pencil led refills fro the mechanical pencil, then remembered the whole “only take what you need” stationary protocol speech from Garry. The man was serious about stationary theft.
 
Squeak.
 
His chair creaked as he swivelled to the right to place his stapler. He stood up to go in search of a new chair. He remembered spotting a few vacant ones on his office tour and colleague introductions. Rounding the edge of his cubicle he nearly collided with Erick Bean.
 
“Whoa there,” Erick exclaimed as he fainted to his right barely avoiding the head on collision. “…boss has called a special meeting; I guess with out a computer you didn't get the email.”
 
Garret resisted the impulse to glance at his desk. It would look bad for him, as an auditor- a vocation were vigilance to detail is paramount, to not notice that there was no computer on his desk. He replied with a smile instead, “Ok. Board room?”
 
 
 
 
“So in conclusion,” Steven Faries, the Auditor General continued, “We have been graciously asked to assist the Police in their investigation of the Commission for Better Homes.”
 
As you know this investigation has been highlighted in the media for a few days due to an employee of the CBH leaking information or whistle blowing. To prevent the NAO from being over run with press the police have agreed to not include the NAO's assistance in its press releases.” He paused and scanned the room with his dark eyes topped with fluffy black eyebrows. “I remind you of your confidentially clauses in your contracts; anyone thought to have breached this confidentially will be put on leave and assessed to determine if termination is warranted.”
 
The Financial Crimes Unit of the police will contact you personally for your assistance and only I will be notified of your involvement. You are to talk to no one of the work you are doing, not even NAO colleagues. If you are involved in the investigation and have any queries please feel free to discuss it with me.”
 
Garret glanced around the room to see serious faces and furrowed brows. Garret noticed he was the only one who had been taking notes, and sheepishly decided to be more discrete. At least he'd opted for the regular pencil so there was no annoying clicking, that the mechanical one would have presented.
 
“This investigation is to take priority over all other audit engagements; however you should still work on other audits as usual. All NAO staff should ensure they have their ID badges and security passes at all times.
 
He paused and scanned the room again, the florescent lighting of the Board room glinting of the grey streaks in his black hair. A shorter man than average, he made up for it by his presence. He exuded authority and honour. It was little wonder Garret thought of him as a hero to all auditors everywhere.
 
“OK. Dismissed.” Steven Faries, or Mr Faries as the office staff addressed him, didn't sit back down in his chair. He gradually began to move toward the door and in Garret's general direction.
 
“Garret, have you been issued you badge and security pass yet.”
 
“No Sir, I have not” Garret felt compelled to stand at attention but just stood up from his chair clutching his three by five yellow note pad and pencil. “I have not had my photo taken yet either Sir.
 
“Relax Garret, no need for the sirs. We used to be more formal, calling each other Mr. This and Miss. That, but it became confusing if one of the female staff got married…” He made his move to exit the room, and Garret followed.
 
“Be sure to ask Glenda,” he gestured at the perky middle aged woman at the reception desk, “…to get those items issued to you before you leave today, just in case. I doubt the FCU would want such a new NAO staff member to assist them; but, better to be prepared, I say.”
 
 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 
Disclaimer: The Character of Garrotte have been created by me, Inuyasha Fan311; the characters and organisations in Garrotte are fictional and do not represent actual persons, or organisations and etcetera.
 
Garrotte Facts:
The Bermuda National Audit Office is a fictional organisation.
A glossary/ decoder of Bermudian slang will be added eventually to decipher the “old man's” ratings.