Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Gate of Destiny ❯ Prolouge ( Prologue )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Disclaimer: I own all of these ideas. If I find anyone copying anything without my permission, you'll wish you hadn't. If you want to borrow an idea, just ask. It isn't that hard to do.
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------------------
 
Thousands of years ago, the land was not as it was now. Instead of lush fields, and snow capped mountains, the world was an entire wasteland because of the power of a single, evil being. During the passage of time, the name of the man had been lost, so he just became known throughout history as the Dark King. He had held powers so large, so unfathomable; there was none that could challenge him. That did not stop anyone though. For years, Heroes young and heroes old challenged him in the hopes to stop his reign over the land. But they all failed, there was no chosen one. Only through fate, the Dark King grew ill and died from an unknown disease, a disease which also wiped out many of the populace that existed in the lands of Valice. But the power of the monster could not be quelled, the power thirsting for war and pestilence. Using their knowledge, the Magisters of the land were able to seal the immense power away into another realm by the use of a gateway. After the Gate was sealed and closed, the activating mechanism was shattered and given to the dragons to guard for all eternity. You see, even in another dimension, the destruction of the Gate would only release the power of the Dark King, this time though the unbridled fury of it would be released unrestrained and slowly rip the world apart. Now, each of the elder dragons now guarded a piece of the gate, one for each element. The protectors were the Dragons of Fire, Water, Wind, Earth, Dark, Wood, and the elder of all dragons, the Great Spectrum Dragon himself who guarded the gateway itself. And from then on, the land was able to recover, the species of each land also growing once more.
 
The Plains of Reska grew from dead hills and barren stretches to lush fields and meadows. Here you will find the two races that call this their home. The first is the humans, believed to be the most advanced race. They are masters of Machines, powered by steam and coal, in which they use in almost every aspect of their lives. Their powers over the machine allow them to do both farming, to fighting. However, many of the other races in the world find these machines evil. Next are the bastetns, the proud feline-like race who watch over the plains. Legends say the bastetns where born of the plains to protect it from evil. They, like many races, look down on humans, in which there has been more than one war between the two. The human machines push thick block clouds to the air, the clouds doing great pain to the plains. Like wise, the humans see the bastetns as foolish a race of old world believes and stubborn pride. The bastetns live a nomadic life; going where ever the plains offer the best hunting grounds. They never take more than they need of the world. Because of the nomadic ways of the bastetns, humans are thought of has the ruling race of the plains. There are many small towns where humans live, but the grandest of them is Atlan. This great city is surprisingly older then the humans race. Who and what made it is unknown by all, and it is said that the first humans moved into it about 300 years ago. Here in this great city their laws are governed and enforced by the king, Lord Gillron the 5th, and his “death knights”
 
The Forest of Elfengolre finally grew from a broken petrified forest that it once was into a dense forest, filled with trees thriving with life, birds singing from the branches once again. Home of the elves and the dryads, these forest are said to be the first kingdom. It and its races command great respect of all things. The first race is the elves. These people, like the bastetns, believe they have to guard the plains, believing that their job is to protect the forest. They live peacefully with the land, living in their own homes in the trees and caves, rarely dealing with the other races of the world save for when they believe the encounter is for the good of the forest. They have no capital, but rather the whole forest works as a capital. However, the elves do have rulers, the ruling family living in a giant tree in the center of the forest. Elves normally live to be 500 years, sometimes even older. Because of this they tend to forget how great a gift life is for all the other races, save for the dryads who rarely live past 100 years old. Dryad, or tree folk has some call them, are towering giants of wood that are commonly mistaken for normal trees. They normally grew to be 20 feet tall and live long lives like the elves. They are peaceful silent people that rarely talk. Being made of wood like the trees they feel a bond with the forest no other race has. They speak to the land and answer it. Do not take them lightly for even if they seem kind and are slow to anger, their wrath is great. Unlike the elves they honor and value the life of all things.
 
The Great Sea became an ocean filled with life, overcoming being ooze that no life would dare to touch for fear of being corrupted. The great sea covers most of the world, a few hundred large islands dotting the water's surface. Each of these is governed by the horusens and the merfolk. The horusens are a winged race that looks like a cross of man and bird, living on the islands. The biggest of which is their capital, the island of “Ti-O-Mora”, meaning haven for the winged ones. This is where their king, Lord Castel, lives. They live in peace with humans, but look down on all others. They see the humans as wise and respectable. But unlike humans, they use great magic's, masters of element magick; they command the very air they fly in and the sea in which they hunt. Next is the merfolk, in which this fish like race live in the water. Their whole lives they do have legs like all the other races, but they are made for swimming not walking. They distrust all other races and will do almost any thing to keep them away from there under water cities. They do rarely welcome trade from ships but even then the merfolk are unfriendly. They are very religious and like the other races have many gods and goddess.
 
The peaks of the Mountains of Isenfore were once again covered in snow, instead of them black craggy peaks, ominous red clouds dancing around the tops. These bold rocky mountains are home of the dwarf, gnome and goblin races. All three say they are the ruling race of the land, and all three rage wars endlessly which leads most of the races to mistrust and look down on them. The dwarfs are short but strong people, the males growing long thick beards in pride since the elves, gnomes and goblins can not grow facials hair other than on the top of their heads. They are great miners and follow a code of honor which has earned them the trust of the bastetns. The dwarf is a short bodied and tempered race. They are fast to anger and slow to forgive. They live a little older than most races normally do, living to be around 120. But even then they are old and weak at that age and many that old stay deep within the mountains where they make their cites, the greatest of which is the city of Imacvol. Their king, Lord Ilmoff, rules there and governs fairly. The gnome race, like the dwarf, is small in size but tall in heart. The gnomes are like the merfolk, very religious. They believe that life is a great gift and no one has the right to take it, because of this the humans call the gnomes cowards. Too fearful to fight battles, they live in small towns and forts which they use to keep enemies back, but none of the weapons there have blades. .Gnomes still fight using blunt weapons. The greatest of these forts is Calmore, there the queen of the gnomes, Lady Sairager, governs them. Most will try to talk there way out of a problem, but like all races there have been some that are different from the others. Evil gnomes are rare but they are real. Goblins, this foul dark race, live deep within the mountains and fear sun light. They live by attacking any other town or city that they can. Unlike the other races, they do not have a capital, nor do they have any cities. They live together in one giant cave, attacking a town or city and take everything back to the cave which they call Tor-Ma-Grall, which means place of shadows. The ruler is unknown because it has been under discussion whether they even have one. But if they did it is said that if he or she is real they would governs them in Tor-Ma-Grall.
 
The Shroud is the only place in all of Valice that has never changed since the downfall of the Dark King. The land is covered in a perpetual dark fog, obscuring all sight. Only the undead and vampires thrive here, the dark and twisted land unwilling to let any form of real life live in this deficit land. There exists a capital, but the location has been lost, even very few of the Shroud's inhabitants can find it. The capital is said to be where the throne once stood for the Dark King. It also happens to be the resting place of the legendary Gate, location of all the powers of the Dark King.
 
The balance of power was thought to have been created with the Dragons helping to stand guard over the Gate pieces, each placed within a temple, all of them scattered randomly across Valice. Very few have tried to collect the pieces to claim the power for their own, and every single one has died. But something new has been born of the darkness of the Shroud; a specter that just might have the shot of finding the pieces. And a group of people have banded together and gone through much, also looking for the pieces of the Gate, for another reason. Who will win?
 
 
Please R&R. This is the first story that I have written that I bothered to put online. Constructive criticism will be good to have, but please no flames. It's only a prologue after all.