Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Gray Sky ❯ Chapter 2

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

The sun's rays peaked into her room and woke Carrie from her deep sleep. Carrie groaned. “I was sleeping so well! Go away sun!”
 
She buried her face into her pillow, hoping to find condolences. None were given to her. She groaned in aggravation, sat up and stretched her aching muscles, getting all of the kinks out.
 
Carrie hopped out of bed and went to her bathroom. There were boxes with labels on them. She went to one and grabbed towels, shampoo, conditioner, and a bar of soap. Carrie turned the knob on and warm water came out of the showerhead. She stripped and stood under the water. The girl's skin immediately felt cleaner.
 
After fifteen minutes, she shut the water off. She stepped out of the tub and wrapped one towel around her head and the other around her body. After a couple of minutes, she put her clothes on. She wore a light brown shirt and dark brown jeans that had a hole on her left knee. She went to her mirror and pulled up her wavy auburn hair. Her hazel eyes were satisfied with what they saw, so she went back to her room to put on black shoes.
 
Carrie decided to head to town to get some food and perhaps meet some people. She grabbed her pocketbook, stepped outside, and locked the door.
 
The April air was fresh and it whipped the hair strands that had escaped her ponytail. The town was surrounded with woods. The trees were already blooming with small white flowers. The soft scent spiced the air.
 
I think I am going to like this town, she thought.
 
All of a sudden she tripped on her feet and fell on her knees. She moaned. “Owww…”
 
She stood back up and saw that a new hole had formed on her left knee. It was scraped, but it wasn't bleeding. She sighed in relief. She took a step forward and gasped in pain. She had twisted her left ankle.
 
“Perfect…”
 
Carrie continued walking, despite her current state. She was determined to get to town.
 
A half an hour later, she arrived at the edge of civilization. She plopped onto her knees and threw her hands in the air. “Thank you! I made it!”
 
She got back on her feet and walked to a small food store called Moonfull Market. There were a few people in it. She saw a small shopping cart and grabbed it.
 
“Hmm, what do I need?” she asked herself. She decided that she would just walk around and see what looked good.
 
Twenty minutes later she had some red apples, steak cutlets, corn, potatoes, chocolate and peanut butter ice cream, crackers, wheat bread, some cold cuts, mayonnaise, and a lot more.
 
The person at the cash register smiled. “First time on your own?”
 
Carrie cocked her head to one side with puzzlement on her face. She wondered how the girl knew.
 
The girl chuckled. “I started going on my own around the same age as you. I saw you walk in with a look on your face that you have no idea what you are doing. How old are you?”
 
“I am twenty.”
 
“I started when I was nineteen; I'm twenty-three now. Welcome to Moonfull. My name is Gina,” said Gina. She started checking Carrie's groceries out.
 
Carrie smiled. “My name is Carrie.”
 
When Gina was finished, Carrie had eight bags. She almost fell over in shock. She turned to Gina. “Is it okay if I keep the shopping cart?”
 
“Don't you have a car?”
 
Carrie shook her head.
 
“I guess it's okay.”
 
Carrie thanked her and walked outside, pushing her new shopping cart. It would be another half hour walk until she got back home.
 
“I have to get myself a car before I kill myself,” she sighed as she started pushing her cart.
 
She arrived home, almost out of breath. “I am going to be so sore tomorrow! I can tell! It's high school aerobics all over again!”
 
Carrie grabbed as many bags as she could and dropped them off on the kitchen table. Then she went out to get the remaining bags.
 
She put the food away and went out the back door. There was a small, dead garden. It was overgrown with weeds. The previous owners of the house had been too old to take care of them. Thus, they both went to live in one of their grown children's home
 
“Looks like I am going to have a hobby over the summer or for the weekends. I wonder where the firehouse is,” she said to herself.
 
She went back inside and sat at the kitchen table. There were still boxes everywhere.
 
I guess I should start unpacking, she thought. Carrie stood back up and started unpacking.
 
It took her the whole day to unpack. She never knew that she, her mother, and older sister, Giselle, packed so many things. Her mother and Giselle had bought some things for her new home.
 
“We just want you to have a happy and pretty new home, Sweetie,” her mother had said.
 
Carrie smiled. They had supported her, and for that she was glad. She stretched her muscles and heard her shoulders crack.
 
Time to make dinner, she thought as she headed to the kitchen.
 
She took out a skillet, put it on the stove, and turned it on. She went to the pantry and took out some oil and poured a little bit into the skillet. Carrie went to the fridge and took out the steak cutlets. She opened the package and when the skillet was just hot enough, she put them on.
 
Then she went to the freezer and took out frozen corn. She cut a small hole for ventilation before putting it into the microwave for three minutes. Carrie went back to the skillet and turned the cutlets over.
 
A couple minutes later, she took out a dinner plate and put the steaks on them. The corn was already out so she spooned some on the plate. Then she sat at the table.
 
It was quiet. She was alone. She shivered.
 
“This is so strange,” she muttered. She stood back up and went to the radio. Carrie searched for a rock station When she found one, she went back to eat her dinner.
 
When she was finished eating, she cleaned up. Then she went right to bed. She had one exciting day. She had walked to town with a twisted ankle (oh joy), gotten a new hole in her pants, met a new friend, walked back home, unpacked, and made herself a lonely dinner.
 
She guessed that was how it was going to be…until she found a car.