Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Gray Sky ❯ Chapter 3

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Carrie heard birds chirping early in the morning. If she had a gun, she would have shot the air to make them shut up. Carrie loved birds as much as the next person, but she loved her sleep more.
 
She sat up in her bed groggily. Her eyes lazily opened and she looked out the window. The sun was coming up and the sky looked like an artist had spilt their paints. It was beautiful, but she still wanted to go back to sleep. Carrie groaned. Since she was up anyway, she decided to start her day. She sure as hell needed to find a car.
 
Carrie got ready and walked to town. She was proud of herself because she didn't get injured in any way.
 
The girl went to Moonfull Market to see if Gina was working there. She was. Carrie walked up to Gina and waited until the cashier cashed everyone out. When she did, Gina smiled at Carrie.
 
“What's up?” asked Carrie.
 
“The sky,” replied Gina with a smile.
 
Carrie narrowed her eyes. Gosh, she hated when people try to be smart-asses. Couldn't they answer like normal people?
 
Gina laughed at Carrie's reaction.
 
Carrie sighed. “Okay. How are you?”
 
“I'm doing all right. What about you?
 
“I'm all right. Do you know where I can buy a car? If I don't get one too soon, I'm going to die from all the walking that I'll have to do,” answered Carrie.
 
Gina smiled. “I think I know where you can get one. It's a little beat up, but it's suitable.”
 
Carrie's eyes shined with joy. “Who? Where?”
 
“The fire chief's car. It used to be his dad's, but his dad passed on about three years ago. It was so sad. The fire chief should be at the firehouse today.”
 
“Um, where is the firehouse?”
 
“It's just down the street. That way,” said Gina, pointing her finger left.
 
Carrie smiled widely. “Thanks!”
 
“No problem.”
 
Carrie walked out and turned left. While she was walking, she was thinking about the car. Soon, she might just have a car! Hallelujah!
 
It wasn't long until she arrived at the firehouse. She looked it up and down, giving it an inspection. It wasn't too big or too small. It was just perfect for a small town.
 
Carrie realized that she could possibly get a job here too! She started to prance around in joy, not realizing that someone was watching.
 
Carrie heard someone chuckling. She stopped and turned around. She saw a blond guy leaning against a wall with fist on his mouth and his shoulders were shuddering from laughter. The girl blushed. Someone was…watching her.
 
“Um, hi,” she said.
 
“Hi, what can I help you with?” the guy asked with a smile.
 
“Um, I'm here to see the fire chief about the car he's selling and to get a job as a firefighter,” Carrie explained.
 
“Well, you're in luck cause I am the fire chief. My name is Trace.”
 
Carrie nearly sweat dropped. She had pranced around and acted like a fool…in front of the fire chief. She could only imagine what he thought of her right now.
 
“What is your name?” asked Trace.
 
“My name is Carrie.”
 
“Ah, hello Carrie. Want to see the car?”
 
“Yes, thanks.”
 
He beckoned her to follow him and she did. They went around the firehouse and up a pathway. Then they stopped at a small white house. Next to it was a garage. Trace walked up to it and opened the garage door. He turned around and nodded to Carrie, indicating her to come up.
 
There was a cover on the car and when he pulled it away, she gasped.
 
It was a red 1998 Mustang convertible. It had a black leather interior.
 
“Oh my, it's gorgeous,” gasped Carrie. Trace smiled. “How much is it?”
 
“Well, it's for twenty-five hundred dollars.”
 
Carrie almost fell sideways. That's a pretty good price…but I don't have that much many yet, what am I going to do? Her shoulders slumped.
 
Trace, seeing a cloud over her head, said, “Well, I'll give it to you for free. How about you just give me five hundred dollars whenever you come up with it?”
 
Carrie turned around with happy tears filling her eyes. “Really? You'll do that?”
 
Trace smirked. “Yeah, since you'll be part of my fire crew.”
 
Carrie smiled widely and hugged Trace. “Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! When can I start?”
 
“Tomorrow.”
 
“Wait, don't you want to see my résumé or application or something?”
 
“Nah, I see potential in you.”
 
“Well, I was a firefighter in my hometown before I moved.”
 
“See? I am too good. Anyways, would you like the keys to your new car?”
 
Carrie clapped her hands with a grin. “Yes please.”
 
Trace went into his house and came back with a key to Carrie's new car. He handed the key to the excited girl. She said thank you again and went inside the car. She started the car and sighed when she heard it roar with life.
 
I have a car! I have a car! Carrie thought with giddiness.
 
She waved goodbye and drove off. She turned the radio on and rolled the windows down. She laid a hand outside of the car and drummed her fingers on the side of the door with the rhythm of the music.
 
I have a car! I have a car! And a job! Hallelujah! Carrie thought.
 
She turned into the small driveway and parked her car next to her house. A car, a house, and a job, what more could she ask for?
 
If I get a boyfriend, then a husband, and possibly children… my life would be perfect. That would be a dream come true, she thought to herself as she got out of the car and locked it.
 
She started walking into the house when she felt eyes on her back. She shivered and whipped around, studying her surroundings.
 
“It was nothing,” she kept telling herself.
 
She unlocked the front door, went inside and locked the door. She sighed and shrugged off the creepy feeling.
 
“I have to make dinner. I can't believe how much time passed by,” she said as she started to prepare dinner. But she still had that odd feeling that someone was spying on her.
 
“God! Go away creepy feeling!” she yelled at the top of her lungs. She shook herself and flailed her arms around the kitchen, as if that would get rid of her uneasiness.
 
After dinner she went straight to bed. She had a job to start tomorrow and she didn't want to be late.