Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Gray Sky ❯ Chapter 16

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

At 6:55pm, Carrie looked at herself in the mirror. She was wearing a smoky-gray, lightweight sweater and a knee high black boots with two-inch heels. She wore low pigtails and light gray eye shadow. She figured that she was casual enough.
 
A few minutes later, Damian knocked on the door and Carrie rushed to answer it. When she opened it, she was greeted with a smile. Damian was wearing a black, lightweight sweater with black chinos and black boat shoes. His hair was in a loose ponytail at the nape of his neck.
 
“Hello my darling, you look wonderful,” he said softly. He leaned down to kiss her. “Let's go.”
 
He held out his arm and she gratefully took it. He escorted her out to the car and opened the passenger door for her before getting into the driver's side. He pulled out of her driveway.
 
“Where are we going?” she asked.
 
“We are going to a restaurant in the next town over. It has very exquisite food that I know you will enjoy,” he replied.
 
“What's the place called?”
 
“Diamond's. It's in Lunar City.”
 
“Lunar City?”
 
“You'll see.”
 
They arrived in Lunar City. There were tall skyscrapers and bright lights. Damian turned the jag into a dimly lit street. There was a sign that had a lunar moon with a diamond on the tip. In front of the moon, it said: Diamonds.
 
Damian pulled up in front of it. A man opened Damian's door and then went to open Carrie's. Damian gave the man the keys. He took Carrie's arm and they walked inside.
 
When the hostess saw Damian walk in, her mouth dropped. However, when she saw the woman holding his arm, her eyes narrowed and her mouth turned into a thin line.
 
The vampire walked up to her and told her that he reserved his a table under the name Foxworthy. She looked it up and then escorted them into a private room. She gave them the menus and said that their waiter would arrive in a few minutes.
 
Carrie scanned the menu while Damian just rested his head on his hands.
 
“So, tell me more about yourself,” he finally said.
 
“Huh?”
 
“Tell me more about yourself,” Damian repeated.
 
Carrie sucked in her lips. “I'd rather not.”
 
Damian cocked his head and furrowed his eyebrows. “Why not?”
 
Carrie sighed as the waiter came by to get their drinks. Carrie asked for water and so did Damian. Then the waiter left.
 
“I'd rather leave my past in the past,” she continued.
 
“It couldn't have been that bad.”
 
“Eh.”
 
The waiter came back and asked what they wanted to order. Carrie asked for lamb with mint jelly and mixed vegetables. Damian politely told the waiter that he didn't want anything. The man looked puzzled, but he left.
 
“Tell me. I've told you about my life and Ashling told you about hers.”
 
Carrie sighed in defeat. He did have her there. “I have an older sister name Giselle. She lives near my mom. My mom and my dad are divorced and he lives in California.”
 
“Why are they divorced?”
 
“My dad cheated on my mom with his secretary when I was two,” she said bitterly. “Eventually, he married his secretary and she gave birth to a baby boy.”
 
“So, he must be eighteen then. Have you met him?”
 
“No. He's the son of the man that cheated on my mother and the woman that didn't care that she was ruining a family.”
 
Damian didn't say anything.
 
“While growing up, I was a geek.”
 
Damian perked his head up. “No way!”
 
“Yes way! I asked seven boys out and they all said no. So, I never had a boyfriend until you. After being rejected that many times, I started having a low self-esteem.”
 
The waiter came by with Carrie's dinner. He refilled her cup and left. Carrie started to eat.
 
“How could a guy say no to you? You're so beautiful in every single way!” said Damian.
 
“Well, I had curly, frizzy hair. I never took the time to blow-dry and straighten it. Also, I didn't dress well either. Plus, I had braces and bad acne.”
 
Damian looked her up and down. “I can't believe that.”
 
“Well, when we're back at my house, I'll show you a picture of me when I was sixteen.”
 
When she finished eating, the waiter came by to pick up her plate and he gave Damian the bill. They went outside and the valet gave him his car.
 
~*~
 
Carrie went straight to her room and came out with a small box. They both sat on the couch. Carrie lifted the lid and took out an envelope. She took a picture out and gave it to Damian.
 
Damian observed it with no expression. “You look cute. I would have definitely dated you.”
 
Carrie nearly fell off the couch. “Are you serious?”
 
“Does it look like I'm joking?”
 
Carrie was slightly taken back by his response. So she replied meekly, “No.”
 
Damian sighed. “I better go since you have work tomorrow. I need my red wine. I'll see you tomorrow night.”
 
Before he stood up, Carrie grabbed his hand. He looked down to see that her eyes were bright. “Are you mad at me?”
 
“Mad at you, why would I be?” he asked.
 
“Well, you responded to me sort of harshly. Did I say or do something that made you upset?”
 
Damian sat back down next to her and laid his arm around her waist. “I'm sorry. I could never be mad at you.” He kissed her and left.
 
A few minutes later, the doorbell rang. Surprised, Carrie went to answer it. Had Damian forgotten something?
 
She pulled open the door to see a tall man in an ebon-gray trench coat. He smiled at her.
 
“Hello,” he said in a British accent.
 
Carrie responded cautiously, “Hello. How may I help you?”
 
“I'm here about Damian.”
 
Carrie's heart made a loud, hard thump against her chest. Her instincts told her to slam the door right then but she couldn't move.
 
“Damian?” she choked.
 
“Yes, I know he is around here.”
 
“Look sir, I have no idea what you're talking abou-”
 
The man wouldn't let her get away that easily. “Now listen ma'am, I know about you being with Damian.”
 
Carrie's eyes became as wide as a full moon. She eyed him suspiciously. “Who are you?”
 
The man made a formal bow. “I am vampire hunter Bryan Simms, here to slay your boyfriend and friend.”