Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Harvester ❯ Part 1 ( Chapter 1 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Two soldiers stood in front of a large metal door. Each one stood on either end with a card key. The one on the left looked to the one on the right who nodded. The two slid their card keys into their respective key readers simultaneously. Each card reader beeped in acceptance before eighteen loud clicks came from the metal door. After the eighteenth click, the door stayed closed before it quickly slid into the floor revealing a large white room. Along the walls and floors of the room were long, jagged groves akin to claw marks.

 

The two soldiers stepped into the room, ignoring the long claw marks and dried red stains of blood as they approached their main target. Sitting at the back was a skinny, scarred up young man. His wrists and ankles were shackled and atop his head was a sort of helmet-like contraption that was used to keep him from hearing or seeing anything. As the two soldiers made their way closer to him, he looked up as though he could sense their presence. The young man lifted his arms and presented his shackles and tried to plead with them, but all that came out was a horse wheezing noise.

 

One of the soldiers grabbed the young man's right arm and jerked him to his feet. He let out another horse wheeze. He pleaded with them in his mind to let him stay in the room, let him stay in his prison. He knew what it meant when she had a need for him. Every time she called for him. The pain would start up again. He didn't want to feel any more pain. He just wanted to be left in his room to die, but she wouldn't let him.

 

The two soldiers waited for him to move and when he didn't: the second soldier walked behind the man and violently shoved him. He stumbled before he found his footing and proceeded to shuffle towards the open door. However, even though he couldn't see, he stopped at the threshold of the open doorway. He slightly turned towards one of the soldiers and let out a horse wheeze. The soldier that shoved before shoved him again, but this time much harder. Causing the young man to stumble through the threshold and fall to the metal floor. He quickly curled up into the fetal position and let out another horse wheeze, but it fell on deaf ears as the soldiers both forced the man to his feet and forced him to move. The chains of his shackled ankles rattled as they were dragged across the floor.

 

---------

 

Inside a large meeting room, voices screamed at one another as they argued on the current situation at hand. An elderly man with a thick white beard slammed his fist into the table before pointing to the screen hovering above the table and yelling, "what the hell are your soldiers doing Kane!? You said they could handle it, you said the Railguns they have could take this thing down, but all their doing is pissing it off!"

 

Above the table, the screen showed a massive creature attacking the city. The creature resembled a Komodo dragon with yellow scales, green spines going from its triangle-shaped head to its ball-like tail that had spikes protruding from it; each toe was connected to green hook-like claws, and folded on each side of its body were two long, hairy spider legs. One of the tanks charged up their Railgun cannon before firing a high-velocity projectile made of electromagnetic force at the large creature. The projectile simply bounced off the monster's armor-like scales causing the creature to dipped it's head down, then raised it back up and roared. The bottom of the creature's mouth split in two, exposing the long rows of jagged arrow-shaped teeth as the two corners of the top half had long saber teeth. Its roar sounded like the combination of a trumpet and an elephant's war cry.

 

[hr]

 

The elderly man looked from the broadcast to Kane. Kane was a man in his mid-thirties with short brown hair, a scar under his right eye, and a mechanical arm that replaced his left arm. He snarled at the elderly man before his radio crackled to life, "This is Commander Jacob: where is our back up? This thing won't go down! Its scales are life fucking armor!" Kane quickly grabbed the radio and responded.

 

"Stay strong Commander, Back up is coming shortly," Kane reassured him.

 

"Is it, though?" the elderly man questioned. Kane looked at the elderly man with hatred in his eyes before he yelled out in frustration and threw his radio at the wall, shattering it. The elderly man chuckled, "Some Defense Officer you turned out to be."

 

"I don't want to hear it from some old fuck that crunches numbers all day!" Kane yelled.

 

"First of all: crunching numbers is something an accountant does," the elderly man argued before he added, "what I do is calculate the probability of when, where, and time these creatures come knocking on our door."

 

"A lot of good that did for us Arthur!" Kane had retorted before he added, "your report said this thing wouldn't appear for another week, but here it is. Destroying the city and playing with our tanks like its God-fucking-Zilla!"

 

"Can you not use the F-word in every sentence? You sound like an edgy teen who still thinks punk rock is cool," a woman said with a sigh. She was a rather young woman about eighteen with long ruby red hair that was pulled up in a ponytail and a row of freckles under her right eye. She sat with her head resting on her right arm as she lazily stacked empty paper clip boxes on one another.

 

"How can you be so relaxed about this Stacy? My soldiers are using the weapons you and your team created and they're doing diddly-shit to this things armor!" Kane yelled. Stacy looked at him for a second before she sighed and continued to stack her boxes atop one another.

 

"You know you don't have to yell. I'm sitting in the same room as you," Stacy said before she continued, "but you are correct: my Railguns aren't scratching the surface of its scaly skin." She sat up straight and interlaced her fingers before stretching her arms above her head and continued, "My Railguns should take down any monster our interstellar friends send us. I created the Railguns because of that crab-spider-like thing we fought several months ago. After that: any monster they sent us would be taken down by our weapons. This one, however, doesn't seem to be affected by any of our guns or cannons."

 

"So are you saying they're watching us and learning from our battles?" Kane asked. Stacy finished her exaggerated stretching and looked back at the screen now showing the creature picking up on of the tanks in its tongue and flinging it into a building.

 

"It's a good hypothesis if you think about it," Stacy said before going back to stacking her empty paper clip boxes. As she placed the fourth one on top of the stack she added, "The other hypothesis is that your men are just stupid and can't understand how to use my Railguns."

 

"Excuse me?" Kane growled as his metal hand balled up into a fist while the sound of scraping metal emanated from it. Stacy looked at him lazily before she went back to her stacking.

 

"Please don't misunderstand me, Kane. I'm not implying that your men are incompetent," Stacy said. Kane relaxed a little before she continued, "I'm saying their superior is incompetent." Kane's rage came back full force as he stood up.

 

"You son of a" Kane began before the screen above the table shifted and switched to a figure cloaked in darkness. Kane stopped and quickly stood still as the figure seemed to just stare at them.

 

"The situation is being handled by Rebecca. You all can head back to your stations," the figure announced before the screen went back to the monster destroying more of the city.

 

"Rebecca, huh?" Arthur said as he stroked his beard.

 

"Are you shitting me!? We've been in this fucking room for over half an hour waiting for this meeting to start. Only for those fucking bigwigs to decide on her, "Kane ranted before he used air quotes and added, "Take care of it."

 

"I wonder," Arthur pondered to himself before he stood up, ready to leave.

 

"Are you just going to just lie down and accept this? How is Rebecca going to take care of this creature? She's a Bioengineer; all she does is experiment on her subjects to find a way to use these monsters to our advantage," Kane ranted.

 

"You're such an idiot," Stacy sighed as she started placing the empty paper clip boxes into her lab coat pockets.

 

"Excuse me? How are you ok with this as well? Isn't Rebecca doing the same thing you are?" Kane argued. Stacy placed the final box into her pocket and let out a frustrated sigh.

 

"First of all: I use these monsters hides, bones, and any other physical means they have to help produce the weapons and vehicles your men use against the next big threat. Second of all: Rebecca uses the DNA of said monster to help create her living weapons as she calls them and finally: do you not understand what the board means when they said: She'll deal with the situation?" Stacy Explained. Kane looked at her quizzically causing her to sigh again and rub her eyes while mumbling, "How you got this far up the ladder is beyond me."

 

"She's going to use her little lap dog," Arthur said. Kane cocked his head to the side trying to figure out what Arthur was talking about. Then, it hit him and he lost it.

 

"Are you kidding me?! The last time he sent him, he nearly destroyed the whole city when he went into a fit of rage," Kane yelled before he added, "What the hell is the board thinking?"

 

"For once I agree with you. After the last time he went out, I'm sure the board saw his destructive tendency after killing the monster. I've also heard that all her efforts to quell his rage have gone unsuccessful. I'm sure all her data can be seen by the board. I'm not sure why the board is sending a faulty product out?" Stacy said to herself, deep in thought. Moreover, what are you planning sister? Stacy thought.

 

----------

 

Rebecca, a tall, blond bombshell wearing, a ruby red dress under a pure white lab coat walked down the hallway with her assistant Casey. Casey was a short brunet with her hair pulled back into a bun, large reading glasses, and had the same white lab coat Rebecca wore that covered her stained blue jeans and lime-green shirt.

 

"Ms. Cross, shouldn't we head to the conference room to meet with the board?" Casey asked.

 

"Rebecca, just Rebecca will do Casey and no. I've already met with the board, and they've given me the go-ahead to release the Death Hunter," Rebecca said.

 

"But what about last time?" Casey urged as she quickly ran up next to Rebecca and continued, "The last time he was released, he did destroy the monster, but lost control and destroyed nearly all the city. If that happens again, the board might pull your funding, even terminate you."

 

Rebecca quickly spun around and embraced Casey in a hug while praising, "Oh you're so sweet. I knew I kept you around for something other than stress relief and lonely nights." She let go of Casey and stepped back a little before asking, "do you know why my research, along with the other Officers research is so imperative?"

 

"I do," Casey said. Rebecca simply shook her head.

 

"No, I want to hear you say it," Rebecca said. Casey let out a sigh and explained to Rebecca why their research was so imperative for what felt like the hundredth time. She couldn't understand why Rebecca had her recite the whole history that led up to now, but Rebecca was her superior after all and Casey wanted to stay on Rebecca's good side. Since she seen what happens when people crossed her.

 

"Humanity received a declaration of war from an alien race called the Phantoms. They claimed humanity is a parasite on the universe and before they can spread to other planets, they need to be exterminated. A few months later the first monster appeared. Humanity couldn't bring it down, and many lives were lost. Humanity was on the break of extinction, so instead of lying down and dying. They went underground and conducted research on how to bring down these monsters and how to locate the Phantoms planet and eradicate it," Casey explained.

 

"Go on," Rebecca said before she turned on her heels and continued down the hallway. Casey quickly caught up to Rebecca to continue.

 

"To keep the Phantoms thinking they were killing off humans. Humanity used robots to create fake cities to keep up appearances humanity has yet to fall. These cities are filled with fake cardboard cutouts of humans, so they seem populated," Casey continued.

 

"And there's where all the history books keep up with the lies," Rebecca said with a smile. Casey looked at her quizzically before Rebecca continued, "for a while: those buildings weren't empty. Those supposed cardboard cutouts were actual people. Mind you: those weren't normal citizens. They were criminals like Murderers, rapists, pedophiles, the worst of the worst. We didn't want people like that living in the underground cities. It's funny really: you put an extreme fear into people and they bark like obedient dogs."

 

"So basically the government but the fear of God into people," Casey said. Rebecca let out a laugh at the mention of God.

 

"Oh please: you're a scientist Casey. You shouldn't believe in that religious bullshit. How can one explain something that is invisible and can't be seen by the human eye," Rebecca said.

 

"What about the wind or oxygen? Those can't be seen by the human eye and yet they're real?" Casey retorted. Rebecca let out a small chuckle.

 

"I knew there was more to you than your looks," Rebecca once again praised before she added, "As for your earlier concern about my job status: you shouldn't worry."

 

"But," Casey began before Rebecca stopped and placed her right index finger to Casey's lips, stopping her speech.

 

"I know what the board is doing: they're trimming the fat. They think my research is a total failure and they're banking on the Death Hunter to lose control again and so am I," Rebecca admitted.

 

"Why?" Casey asked in shock before she added, "the Death Hunter is your life's work. If it fails, you'll be discredited as a scientist."

 

"Let me explain something to you: Usually, when an Alpha version of something comes out. It's used as a test to see what bugs are in the programming. This data is then collected so that any issues can be rectified. All this data is used to produce the Beta, and this is why I'm not worried. When the Alpha version fails, I'll show them the Beta Version and they'll finally see my research is a resounding success," Rebecca explained before she moved closer to Casey and whispered in her ear, "When that happens: we can celebrate properly." Casey felt a chill run down her spine as she saw a twisted smile form on Rebecca's face.

 

"For now, just head towards the control room. I have to see how our little Alpha version is doing today," Rebecca said giddily before she left Casey standing in the hallway.

 

----------

 

After leaving Casey, Rebecca walked farther down the hallway until she reached the hanger where two soldiers waited on either side of a skinny, scarred up young man with his wrists and ankles shackled and atop his head was a sort of helmet-like contraption. The young man lifted his head up and felt a pit form in his stomach as his blood ran cold. Something inside of him wanted him to run, get as far away from what was coming as possible. However, his legs felt like they were glued in place.

 

As Rebecca reached the three, the two soldiers saluted her. She nodded to each soldier before addressing the young man, "Hello Seth, how are you? Are you eating well?" She knew the answer since she had authorized and selected what meals he would be getting and at what times. Seth felt her presence in front of him and knew she was talking directly to him. All he could do was let out a horse wheeze in response to her question. Rebecca looked concerned at his response and placed her hand under his chin. She then lightly lifted up his head to reveal the massive scar on his neck.

 

"I see you still can't speak," Rebecca said as she sighed and added, "I know it's hard, but you must understand: you can't speak to your mother like that. Just know: it hurts me more then it hurts you." she then embraced him in a hug and said, "It will be all right. Soon, it will be all over." Seth tensed up as he felt her embrace. He felt like a snake had wrapped around him, ready to squeeze the life from him.

 

Rebecca let go of Seth before she turned to the two soldiers and ordered, "Bring him to the platform." The two soldiers saluted and led Seth towards a part of the hanger with a yellow square pained on the floor. As the two placed Seth within the square Rebecca added, "And don't screw up this time!" with that, she left the hanger and headed towards the control room to start the operation.

 

----------

 

"What the hell is that bitch planning?!" Kane demanded of Casey who was hiding behind her clipboard.

 

"I-I don't know! I truly don't know," Casey shakily answered.

 

"Bullshit!" Kane argued before he added, "You're always at her side. You can't tell me you don't know what she's up to!"

 

"KANE!" Rebecca's voice boomed causing him to turn and see her standing in the entrance of the Control Room. She sighed and rubbed her eyes while saying, "Please do not yell at my assistant. You're scaring the poor girl."

 

"Assistant?!" Kane laughed before he used his machine hand to point at Casey and added, "She is nothing more than your fuck buddy you somehow got a job working here." In a flash, Rebecca closed the gap between her and Kane. She smacked him hard across the face causing him to step back. He maneuvered his jaw making sure she didn't dislocate it.

 

"Don't you EVER disrespect my assistant again because the next time you do: I'll make sure the next limb you lose will be your manhood," Rebecca Threatened.

 

Kane glared at Rebecca before he spat out a small amount of blood and Hissed, "I can't wait to see your plan blow up in your face. When that happens: I'll be in the front row watching you grovel for your job." Both Kane and Rebecca glared at one another before he stormed out of the Control Room.

 

Rebecca let out a sigh before turning to the Control Room staff. Everyone there simply sat there waiting for her orders. She took in a breath before letting it slowly. She then clapped her hands together and said, "Well, what are y'all waiting for? We've got a monster to kill." The Staff quickly went to work getting the feed up to show where the creature was. The large screen in the front of the room blinked to life and showed the monster still fighting the group of soldiers and tanks. Rebecca watched the destruction on screen before she turned to Casey and asked, "Have we given it a code name?"

 

"Y-yes ma'am, we've given it the code name: Komodo," Casey informed.

 

"Komodo huh, Kind of Simplistic, but it will do," Rebecca said just as the screen next to her chair came to life.

 

"He's in place ma'am," the soldier on the screen said. Rebecca nodded just before the feed cut out. She turned to the Staff who were already shrinking the feed of the monster destroying the city. They then pulled up the feed of Seth, standing in the middle of the yellow painted square. Rebecca smiled when she saw him still standing where she left him and then addressed the Staff, "All right, let's start the operation."

 

----------

 

The floor under Seth shook slightly before the yellow square began to ascend towards the ceiling. As it continued, the ceiling quickly opened allowing the platform to ascend further up. Seth's legs shook at the sheer force of the moving platform before he felt it suddenly stop. Seth felt a cool breeze touch his skin as the scent of something burning in the distance entered his nose. He tensed up when he realized where he was: he was outside the facility, and he knew what would be coming next. Like last time: the shackles on his wrists and ankles detached and fell to the ground revealing red, raw skin. He began to hyperventilate as he heard something whirling inside the helmet atop his head. It split into two and both halves fell to the ground revealing Seth's short white hair and crystal blue eyes. Above and below each eye was a scar caused by her removing his eyelids. The device that was once on his head kept his eyes from drying out while also keeping "it" at bay.

 

Seth looked around at the world around him and the field he currently stood in before his eyes fell on the monster destroying the city. He heard static in his head as Rebecca's voice said, "That is your next target, Codename: Komodo." Seth suddenly felt a sharp pain in his head as he clutched it and tried to scream, but only managed a hoarse wheeze. The pain was coming back, "It" wanted out. "It" wanted to fight Komodo. Seth didn't want to feel the pain again; he didn't want to have it take control again while he was left being torn apart. Seth stumbled around, clutching his head trying to keep "It" at bay. He felt like tiny needles were pushing out of his skin. Rebecca's voice came back into his mind and said, "Don't fight it. Let it out." Seth's head suddenly shot up and he let out a shrill scream while his crystal blue eyes shifted to glowing blood red.