Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Hope ❯ Revolving strength ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Revolving Strength
When I was a boy, my world revolved around friends and the free time I had so that I could go play. It didn't bother me that the Lord and King took most of the crop and barely left us with anything to fill our bellies at night. Being the oldest child, I was charged with helping both Mama and Papa when they needed it. I felt it unfair that my younger siblings didn't have to work so much. Ah, childish jealousies. They didn't matter much when a harsh winter struck and took Papa with it when it left. Now Mama needed my help more than ever.
When I was a young man, my world revolved around my family and what work I could find. It didn't bother me that I had no more time for friends, because most had to find more work as well. Being the man of the house, I found work as a blacksmith's apprentice and helped Mama raise my younger brother and sister. It felt like the money was being spent quicker than I could bring it in. However, I did whatever I could to feed and clothe my family, because the King definitely wasn't. To hell with the King. Or so I said, until the King died and the Church took over. The Prince was still too young to rule.
When I was a full-grown man, my world revolved around war and politics. It didn't bother me that I had to leave my family and work. I was protecting them and my people. Being the General of the army, I led many strategic attacks against opposing Kingdoms. How they cowered before us! Even the Church grew fearful. The Prince's coronation approached and soon they were overthrown. The Church lost all power. Side by side, the King and I fortified the Kingdom, physically and mentally.
When I was an old man, my world revolved around desks and meetings. It didn't bother me that I was unfit for battle, because I knew I had brought honor to my family name and my parents would have been proud. Being Advisor to the King, I made sure that he held strong, even through the bad times. Without a strong King, the Kingdom would suffer. Even as I approached Eternal Slumber, the Kingdom thrived with life. The Kings heir was growing into a fine man, and a wonderful Prince. No longer did I have to fear for the safety of the ones I loved.
When I died, they held a funeral for me fit for a King. With no heir or wife, my lands were given to my brother, who was on his way to becoming a General himself. No longer did the Kingdom suffer, nor would it, as long as my King and his children remained strong. For even in the unlikeliest of places, strength could become a beacon. Strength could help a young man take care of his family and strength could help a General protect his people.