Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ human or the devil? ❯ Scarlet ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
-Human or the Devil?-
-Errare humanum est persevereare diabolicum…..
To err is human; to persist is of the Devil…-
‘Of course I’m sane…
My story is a strange story; first of all it starts off with a murder, a murder I was accused of committing. One of my friend’s friend got murdered, by me, at least that’s what the detectives are saying. I am sitting here alone in this room with a bright light staring at me to think over what “I have done.” But I have done nothing, nothing I tell you, nothing! I could’ve done something, and I should’ve too, I had my chance but he stopped me. He told me not to and like a dog I listened. My chance to kill him had come up before but there were too many witnesses. To kill the one that told me to stop was also a possibility, but like the others, they all dissolved. My mother stopped me, the unsuspected fool, I could’ve killed her too. I could’ve killed all of them!

‘Talking, useless talking…’
“I will ask you one more time Ms. Scarlet, why did you do it?” asked the detective that had stepped in.
“and I will tell you for the last time I did nothing.” I answered calmly.
“well all the evidence shows that you were the only one there when the killing occurred, and besides Mike saw you do it, and I do trust a fellow comrade.” said the weak man behind the desk that held the extremely bright light.
“Well I wouldn’t always trust my son, but hey considering I have no children…”
“Ms. Scarlet! This is a serious matter not to be taken lightly and to be joked around with!” he said in what failed to be a stern voice.
He couldn’t control me, hadn’t the strength to stand up to me…no on did.
“Listen Mr. Detective man I did not do it, I can tell you what really happened if you’d let me.” I sighed.
“Let’s hear it then.”
“well, for starters I originally wanted to kill him, and I saw him all alone and helpless I couldn’t bare to finish him off-----”
“Finish him off?! Scarlet was he hurt before you got there?”
“nah he was prancing around in the field of flowers.”
“wait did you say you wanted to kill him? If you did--”
“which I did.” I added.
“---then that would be a planned homicide, you could go to jail for that.” Mr. Detective said seriously.
“you see Mr. Detective---”
“ It’s Detective Greenwood.” he corrected.
“----it wasn’t really planned, and I couldn’t go to jail, well, I’m 14.” I said smiling.
This Mr. Detective was getting on my last nerve. I could tell him over and over that I did not kill Billy. I knew Mike was not there, but Mr. What’s-his-face would believe ‘a fellow comrade’ any day. Like I said Mike was not there, I knew he wasn’t there, I knew he was fifty miles away hanging with his friends. I knew what really happened but I couldn’t tell him, he would send me to a crazy home where it is I might actually belong.
“Scarlet, I think we’re going to have to lock you up for a little bit, at least till it all clears out.” he said in a sad tone.
He kept talking after that, talking and talking like the rambling idiot he was. Talking wasn’t going to solve Billy’s death, and it certainly wasn’t going to tell me whether I was sane or not. After minutes of me not listening he talked with my mother. I heard her whine about me and telling him I was a good girl. It was amusing to hear how wrong the poor woman was. When the weakling told her that they would put me in a ‘kids jail’, is what he called it, she burst into tears. I felt bad after that, I was making her suffer, all because of me. Ever since I entered sixth grade I’ve made life her a pain. My dad left after that, he couldn’t stand me, and neither could she, I could tell. I could tell by the way she ‘smiled’, the way she spoke to me, the way she told me she still loved me after all those years. She lied, about every thing. She lied….

Errare Humanum est…

Crazy Home….’
The siren went off and we pulled out of the police station parking lot. The long way to the ‘kids jail’ was worse when Mr. Weak asked about my father. My mother told him they got divorced because of house issues, the liar, she should have told him the truth, she should have told him that he left us because he hated me and she hated me too. But, she didn’t, like always she covers things up until they overflow and she snaps. Then the day comes when she yells at me, I leave, she calls the police and she apologizes to me. What a day that is. The trip finally came to an end and I was quiet getting out of the car. People from near by stared as they walked me into the building knowing I was trouble. Once inside I saw nurses and doctors run back and forth, and I thought this was a crazy home. Kids from left and right talking away with nurses trying to shut them up. They kept talking till what looked like a woman and turned out to be a man yelled at them. His name is Mr. Loon, how great is that? This is all a piece of crap, if they think I’m a threat then why not just kill me to get it over with? It would be a lot easier, for my mom too.
“Ms. Gem?” the nurse in the tight outfit directed me.
“where are we going?” I asked as if I didn’t know, actually I didn’t.
As I said the nurse was wearing her outfit like if it were two sizes smaller. Her waist had fat on it so why show it off, her knees looked horrible, need I say more? No.
“this will be your room Ms. Gem.” Her soprano voice said behind me.
“You know you can call me Scarlet, and anyway thanks Ms. umm Nurse lady person.”
Hey it wasn’t my fault she didn’t tell me her name, that’s the first thing a person should do isn’t it? The room was bare, well half of it, the other half was adorned with pink fuzzes and teddy bears. It was…unique? Yeah right, more like disgusting.
“Well Scarlet, my name is Sarah James, your roommate will be here shortly. Lunch is in ten.”
Ten? As in ten minutes or at ten? But then if its at ten it wouldn’t be lunch, but why didn’t she just say 12:30 instead of in ten people get confused! I don’t really care anyway, I’m not eating.
“Scarlet?”
“mom? Oh hey what’s up?” I asked as if nothing were happening.
“nothing honey, but I have to head out to work now, I’ll stop by later okay?” she asked smiling.
“sure mom, you can just stop by tomorrow you’ll be tired later.”
“well whenever I’ll see you, I’ll see you, bye, love you”
“love you too mom” I yelled at the door.
I sat on the bed and pondered on the thought of my mother. Did I truly love her? If I have caused her so much pain and so many sacrifices, did I still love her. Of course, but maybe I was lying to myself, telling myself things I wanted to feel. Things that could never be. I laid down and smashed my face into the pillow.
“It’s Scarlet right?” asked a voice that did not belong to the strange nurse from before.
“yeah.” I said still, my face buried in the pillow.
“well, my name is Molly.” She said. “are you okay?” she continued.
“yes….I’m just tired, I guess.” I managed to say half way decent.
“oh well then I’ll let you rest.” she said sheepishly.
I hated her already, I haven’t even seen her face but I was sure she was one of those girls who looked up to life. As the days past that’s how it stayed. I didn’t talk to her and she would occasionally say hi. I only got up when I was starving and when my mom would come and visit. The day I went to a rehabilitation class was the day I was going to cry. It was a Tuesday morning, I hated mornings, and I had to attend the class or I would never get out of here. So I went and mildly paid attention to what Nurse James was saying. Molly sat next to me and helped me out on parts I didn’t understand, or parts I really didn’t care about. I guess she was alright, she was nice enough. After the class she told me why she was actually here. Her mother, she didn’t want her anymore, and her father died before she was born. Molly had ten siblings and she was the oldest. Her mother would always make her work, at home and at a job. Other than her 12 year old brother Molly was the only one that brought in the money. After her mother had hit her for the tenth and final time she came here. Not just to get away from her mother but from everything. Molly had problems, problems that people would find terrifying. She would scream in the middle of the night, wake up coughing blood, start crying for no reason. Her mother was the real problem, she had traumatized Molly until her head just couldn’t take it anymore. As she told me all this I thought about my own mother and how she had never showed me she never loved me, at least by hitting me. I could tell, by the way she talked to me, by the way she looked at me, and especially the trouble it gave her to tell me she loved me.
“Scarlet you have a phone call.” the nurse called out.
I walked over to the desk in the main hall and picked up the phone.
“Hello?” I said my voice sounding rough from the lack of talking.
“Why Hello to you too Scarlet.” said the deep male voice said.
It was him, it was the one that had actually killed Billy. He knew I like him, and maybe that’s why he did what he did.
“what?” I said roughly but my voice was back.
“I just wanted to tell you that I was sorry for your loss.” he spoke.
“ why are you sorry?! You got what you wanted. You killed him!” I yelled into the phone.
“why do you say such things? You know William was dear to me.” he laughed.
“I say such things because they are true.”
“well. Scarlet do you care if anyone else were to die? Its just a simple question nothing to get worked up about.”
“who are you planning to kill this time?” I asked.
“someone who is near you, or rather was. Someone who is dear to you, and someone who you just come to like.”
The line was dead and I put the phone back in it’s place. Even though it sounded like I was taking things too far I really did think of what he said. Someone dear to me, I just grew to like? My mom? No, I’ve known her for fourteen years and she doesn’t really like me. Who did I just meet? The nurse? No, I didn’t like her. Molly.

‘The killer who is me…’
The yells from the nurses were still to close so I cut through the cemetery. My feet were no longer there and my throat burned with the cold wind. I could no longer hear the yells and I stopped to think. Why did Mike want Molly? Why did he want her dead? That didn’t matter, he wanted her dead. The house was now in sight and I ran even faster. The door was open. It was like he was expecting me. No one was there, and the house was not a house, it was a mansion. I took a left at the wing on the right. No one. The ran the other way hoping someone was there.
“AHHHHHH!!!”
It was Molly and it came from the dungeon. The gray marble steps were steep making my run deadly. The tapping from my feet came to a stop when Mike was in sight. I looked frantically to find Molly chained onto the wall; tears streaming down her cheeks. She didn’t deserve this, she didn’t deserve a mother like the one she had. She also didn’t deserve to be killed by the only person she told her story to…

That night I left his house with only one thought in mind. Would my mother still love me? If she knew that now truly I was a murderer, would she love me? I couldn’t stay to find out, actually I couldn’t bare the thought of her hating me, even though it was true I couldn’t hear her say it, so I was better off not knowing. I had to leave, to forget, everything. Especially Molly.

Now the real question is: Was I human or did I belong to the Devil?

persevereare diabolicum…..
to persist is of the Devil…


-The End-