Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ I remember ❯ Remembrance ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Author's notes: Well, I suppose we should start from the beginning, shouldn't we? People often ask “How did you and your brother even…like…GO there?” so, I'd like to share this little story with you. First person style.
 
I saw red. I was 7. You were 12. I can't remember now what it was that he was trying to do, but I do remember the stick coming my way and then…it didn't. But there was a flash of black before I heard the smashing impact and you're desperate cry of pain. Mom was crying already…Minto and the other kids were crying too…but you weren't afraid. You weren't scared of him. You stood between me and him, and the other kids and him all the time. But that day…I think that's when I knew how much love you had for all of us.
I remember that you cried out, mom screamed, and it was as if everything slowed down as you hit the floor. I clearly remember the blood that ran down your forehead, over your closed eye, and down the other cheek of your face to the floor where it pooled as Dad kept hitting you and kicking you. I could only stand there for a while…but I tried to save you. I tried to stop him…but that didn't help much at all did it?
I remember that day with Grandfather at the hospital. I stood next to your bed angrily…that much I do remember, staring at the floor while the doctor said something to Grandfather in English thinking I couldn't understand it. But then, your hand was on my head, and you were playing with my hair. When I looked up, you had a black eye and a bandage on your forehead over the gash he'd given you. But…you didn't look upset…or mad…or sad even. You were smiling. And I remember what you said to me. I never will forget it. “It's alright, Dai-chan. Papa got angry, but that's just his way. We can only try to love him more.”
When you said that to me, you scared me. I didn't understand. Love Papa more? But he hurt you. And he keeps hurting you. That's what I thought. But you just had that smile on your face the whole time…even when Dad came in. I didn't hear or see much of that…I was hiding behind Grandfather, covering my ears and keeping my eyes closed. But I heard “Worthless child.” He was talking about you, wasn't he? I thought he may have been after when Grandfather said quietly,
“Chigau, Kanou. Anata no chigau.”