Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Legends Academy ❯ Did I miss something? I KNOW I didn't just hear the word kill! ( Chapter 6 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

 
Begin Chapter six…
WHAT!?
 
I opened my eyes, and then quickly closed them again. The sun was shining on my face, even though it was barely over the horizon.
 
Putting a hand over my eyes for shade, I sat up and looked around. Markarov was still asleep. His sleeping bag was only a foot or two away from mine. That's strange. I thought, looking at him. I could swear he was farther away from me…
 
For some reason, my eyes were drawn to his face. Probably because of the lack of visibility of it. His hair was covering most of his face. I knew it was usually annoying to have hair in my eyes, and it must have been worse for a boy.
 
Gently, I brushed the hair away with the very tips of my fingers, holding my hand in that position for a moment longer than necessary. His skin felt warm to my cold fingers. He stirred, but he didn't wake.
 
“You're up early.” I heard Angel say.
 
“You too,” I replied, looking up at her. But before my eyes reached her, they reached her sleeping bag. I noticed there wasn't a dark spot on it. That meant it wasn't wet!
 
I knew it. Markarov and I could never get along like that. It was only a dream then...crap. Typical, isn't it? Yup, that's just my luck...
 
Looking back up to Angel, I noticed that she had already changed her clothes from her red kimono outfit to jeans, a tan tank top, and a denim crop jacket. I noticed that the logo on her shirt matched her necklace.
 
I looked down at my own semi-ruined clothes.
 
“You know,” I started, getting up. “I think I need to change my clothes. I'll be back soon, I hope... That castle is huge.” I walked to the edge of the large stone and hopping down to the ground.
 
“Here,” I heard Angel say, voice getting slowly louder. I knew what was coming. I stopped in my tracks and lo and behold, Angel landed nimbly in front of me. “I'll come with you.”
 
I smiled and walked around her.
 
“Shocker...” I muttered. We walked up to the doors and were half way through the main room when I realized something.
 
“Wait a second.” I said, turning to face my new friend. “I forget my bag; can you wait here?” Angel nodded and I jogged back out the doors.
 
Walking up to the trees I thought I heard something. I stopped, trying to figure out what it was. I concentrated as hard as I could, but all I knew was that it was a voice. Slowly I kept walking, not making the slightest sound. After a moment of walking I realized that it came from the clump of pine trees.
 
I walked strait up to the trees, pressing myself against the stone. It became clearer and I could make out an adult voice, thick with a Russian accent speaking. Wait, the only person there is Markarov. And he's asleep, isn't he?
 
“Well, why? I gave you a simple job to do and you even mess that up! How hard is it to kill a teenager girl? Especially one that hasn't even discovered her magic yet!” This wasn't Markarov's voice, that much I knew.
 
“I know that!” Said a voice I recognized as Markarov's. “But just because she doesn't know she has magic doesn't mean anything with her! She's still a strong son of a gun, that much is obvious.” I then heard a soft yelp of surprise.
 
“Look,” Said the adult in a sinister, threatening tone. “I don't care how you do it; I don't care if you're hurt. You have until the end of the school year to kill her. On the last day of school, if I don't hear how the daughter of the world's most powerful legend is dead, it will be you who dies.” There was a pause, then a thump. Then the adult continued.
 
“Now go kill Artemis Haun.”
 
There was a flash of light and all was silent. For about a minute. Then I heard the branches above me shake. I quickly slid in between the tree and rock, holding my breath and not moving a muscle. Only a few feet away Markarov jumped down and walked toward the castle.
 
Wait, Angel's up there! I've got to stop him! Just as I was about to cry out for him to stop, I felt something appear behind me. “Jeez-!” Angel's voice started loudly in my ear. Before she finished the first syllable, I put a hand over her mouth. “Zip it!” I hissed in her ear. She nodded and I removed my hand.
 
I looked back toward the castle and found that Markarov had disappeared. Stepping out of my hiding place, Angel asked: “What was that all about?” I shook my head. “I don't know.” I admitted, climbing up the rock and grabbing my bag. “But whatever it was, I don't think it was good.” I said, hopping back down.
 
And what do you know, upon landing my ankle seared with pain and I collapsed on the ground. Wincing I sat up, looking at my leg sadly.
 
“Great, just what I need.” I looked toward Angel. “The one time I actually need my ankle, I get hurt. Again, that's just my luck.” Angel smiled, kneeling down beside me.
 
“Here, this might help.”
 
She put a hand on my ankle and the pain instantly ceased. “Wow...” That was all I could say. Grabbing my arm, she pulled me up. “Don't be too surprised. That happened to people all the time. Al you need to do is apply a little pressure and there, fixed.” She smiled. “Come on, your clothes smell horrible, lest get you changed.”
 
Together we walked up to the castle, Angel leading the way like she knew the place like the back of her hand. Come to think of it, she probably did. Eventually she opened a door and stepped inside. The room was fairly large, with white walls (One was covered by a large mirror, another was nearly all windows with a great view of the lake.), and a pale pink carpet. There were two canopy beds with red silk curtains that were drawn back. The comforters on the beds seemed to literally be a foot tall. Aside from that, the room was heavily furnished with couches, chairs, cushions, and a very low table. There was also a kitchen, I could see, through a translucent curtain.
 
“Where are we?” I asked, following Angel. Digging through a trunk, she answered.
 
“Well, it was just a spare room before you, your mother and I got here, but now it's ours. Mine and yours, that is, your mother is bunking in the headmistress's room. Now,” She said, straitening. “Here's something to wear. Sorry, I can't find your clothes, but we look about the same size.” She handed me a small pile of clothes that consisted of a pink and white tie-dye tube top, a pair of ripped jeans that cut off and frayed at Capri-length with a white mini-skirt over it, and some pink and white sneakers and socks.
 
“Thanks,” I said looking for a place to change. I spotted a privacy screen in one corner and a bathroom near it. “Do you mind if I take a quick shower?” I asked, peeking into the bathroom. “Sure, but hurry up, I'm sure you want something to eat. Hotdogs only last so long.”
 
The next few hours passed uneventfully, mostly filled with pizza, pop, and music. Finally, the sun disappeared behind the mountains. After turning off the lights we both went to out beds.
 
“Angel,” I started, rolling over to face her.
 
“Hmmm?” She replied drowsily, also turning.
 
“Remember, earlier today when you found me behind the tree?” She nodded. “Didn't you wonder what I was hiding from?” Another nod. “I-I was hiding from Markarov.” I said slowly.
 
She laughed, sitting up and turning on a light. “That's it? You know, you really had me going for a second there. Honestly, Markarov? Why would you hide from him? He's no threat! Not to us!” I sat up too, looking out the window near my bed.
 
“I think you might be wrong on this one Angel. When I went back to get my bag...” I continued to explain what I heard, voice steadily growing quieter, until it was softer than a whisper. “Then there was a thump, and the adult said,” I paused, taking a shuddering breath. “He said Markarov had to kill me.”
 
Angel stared out the window, eyes emotionless.
 
“I don't believe it. I never thought...not him...He was-!“ She gasped, turning towards me.
 
“And you-! Do you know what you are?” I shook my head, expecting the worst. “Don't you remember what that man said? `If I don't hear how the daughter of the world's most powerful legend is dead- Artemis, don't you get it?” Again I shook my head. Angel practically ran over to my bed. “One of your parents was, or maybe even is a legend! Someone in your family could and maybe still can use magic!” I stopped her for a moment.
 
“Hold on, can you explain something to me?” I asked.
 
“Sure, I guess.” She said, looking at me with a confused expression on her face. “Magic? As much as I hate to say it, magic doesn't exist. Only in stories, Angel.” She shook her head, smiling. “Sometimes I wish that was true, but it's not. Artemis,” She said, grabbing my shoulder. “Chances are, if even one of your parents was a legend, so are you.” I shrugged her hand off my shoulder, looking out at the rapidly rising moon.
 
“Fine, but one more thing. What's a legend?”
 
There was a crash behind us and we both turned to see what it was. Suddenly, the door burst open, with such force that Angel and I were forced against the wall, narrowly missing windows. The electricity flickered out and suddenly I couldn't see a foot in front of my face. Just when my heart rate slowed back to normal, I heard a booming, cackling laughter that nearly made me jump out of my skin. Before it even faded, the laughter was replaced by a cold, cruel voice. “What's a legend? I can't tell you that, but you'll find out what a late legend is very, very soon!” It cried, sending shivers to the very marrow of my bones. Out of nowhere, lightning flashed out side, and rain splattered the windows. “What's happening?” I cried, looking around for Angel in the brief flashed of light. “I don't know, but it doesn't look good!” I heard her scream a few feet away.
 
The voice screamed something else, but it was unintelligible. Suddenly, lightning flashed close by me, too close. All around me the sounds and light started to fade. I cried out and didn't even hear myself, let alone anything else. Struggling to stay conscious, I squinted, searching for some sign of Angel or our attacker, but saw nothing. Heaving one last sigh I reluctantly gave up the fight and fell into unconsciousness...
 
End chapter six...
 
I kinda like this one, my entire family was commenting on it. Any IDEAS? LEMME KNOW!
~AnimeGirl214