Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Lurking in the Shadows ❯ Lurking in the Shadows ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Lurking in the Shadows
Dragon Master & Streetcorner Symphony
 
It was late at night, and I was alone in my room. The only sounds were that of the keys of my laptop as I typed away and the music that flowed softly from the speakers of my CD player. I was so involved in my story I was writing that I barely noticed the knocking at the front door. I groaned. `God damn sales people… no wait I could be wrong… probably some Boy Scouts trying to do `good deeds'.' I hesitantly got up from my spot on my bed, which I have been sitting at for nearly four hours.
 
I fumbled around the room looking for my light switch. I found it and flipped on the light. The sudden flash of bright lights hurt my eyes, making me dizzy. I quickly turned the lights back off and found my way to the hall… and the constant knocking at the door. I used my hands to guide me down the hall to the front door. I looked through the small window next to it to see who was there, but I could barely see anything in the pitch black of the night. “Who is it?” I asked.
 
No one responded. I wasn't sure if anyone was still there. Curiosity overcame my fear, and I slowly unlocked the door. I gently opened it a crack to see if anyone was still there, but it is still dark, and I quickly slam the door shut and lock it up. I wondered who was there, and why they had left as I walked my way back down the hall towards my room.
 
Once I reached my door, and walked in, carefully moving to the spot where I sat before I was rudely interrupted. I jumped back as I heard a sharp crack from underneath my foot. “Damn pencil!” I mused to myself as I continued to walk back to my bed. As I reached my laptop, I dropped down on the bed, searching for where I had left off in my story. I breathed a long, heavy sigh, as the clicking of the keys began again.
 
I drifted off back into my story that I can't get out of my head. Suddenly, I heard a loud crash coming from just outside my bedroom door. My head shot up from the computer screen as I looked at my door. My face was drained of any color I once had, and my blood began to flow to my legs, preparing for a hard run if necessary. My adrenaline was pumping… and I slowly got up from my spot to listen, trying to hear anything over the loud beating of my heart. The beating hastens, beating faster and faster as I cautiously moved towards my door.
 
My hands fumbled around my room for anything that I could use as a weapon. I found my metal baseball bat resting next to my dresser, thankful that I had set it there after practice. Gripping the bat tight, I forced myself to grab the handle of the door. I breathed heavily, trying not to lose focus on what was going on. I had to coach myself in a slight whisper. “It's okay… nothing's going to happen.” With my hands gripping the bat tightly, I counted to five, and flung my door open… ready to hit anything that moved. I stepped out and scanned the hallway.
 
I tried not to scream as I jumped back when I heard a noise to my right. “Meow” I looked down. It was just my cat, Zippie. He was sitting next to two broken picture frames on the floor. `I must have knocked them off of the wall when I jumped back.' I began to laugh quietly at how scared I was of my own cat. I sighed and continued to laugh quietly. Sitting down on the hall floor, I let the blood flow back up to my head. After five or so minutes, I cleaned up the glass of the broken picture frames, and threw it away. I am still laughing at myself for getting worked up over the cat and two broken frames. I made my way back to my room feeling just slightly relieved. That was until I suddenly felt an odd, nagging feeling. Something is still wrong.
 
I picked up my bat, and slowly got back to my room. “That's odd. I thought I left my door open?” I slowly began to open it up, and looked around the dark bedroom. I moved in quietly.
 
Suddenly a dark figure pushed the door closed behind me, cutting off my retreat out of the room. There was a deep laugh that came from the shadowy figure as it moved towards me. I panicked, as I moved back. The figure began to follow me, pressing me up against my bed. I fell back onto my mattress. As the dark figure moved into the light of the window, his face became clear.
 
“Cameron?” I said as he came closer to me.
 
“Who else were you expecting?” He said to me as he pressed himself onto me. I tried to scream, but he silenced me when his lips pressed up to mine. My instincts kicked in and I took the bat that I still had a hold on and hit him over the head with it. He stumbled back, staring me straight in the eyes, and then he fell to the floor with a thud. I took the opportunity when he fell to run out of my room. On my way out, I fumbled to find my cell phone and ran somewhere, though I knew not where I was running. I just wanted to get out before Cameron woke up from the blow to the head he received from my baseball bat. Hopefully, I would be safe wherever I went… though I had no clue that I was being followed closely by another figure lurking in the shadows.