Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Moonstruck ❯ Moonstruck ( Chapter 1 )

[ A - All Readers ]

“Moonstruck”
 
In olden times, in centuries and days long past, the full moon would appear. Sometimes dim, sometimes bright, always there. In the times of bright one, it would become yellow at dusk one night as if trying to mirror that of the eyes of a wolf. And the next it would glow as if trying to become the garish sun.
 
Of course, it was always anything but the garish sun. While the sun proclaimed its brilliance and dared all to challenge it, the moon merely brightens the night - never boastful or overtly proud but humble and honest about itself.
 
It is on such nights as these, when Sister Moon is at her best and shining for all she is worth, that her effect is finally felt. People on these nights become what used to be known as “moonstruck.”
 
On these nights - like tonight - the sensuality and recklessness of Sister Moon manifests itself in all kinds of ways. Things that were forbidden to some are no longer anymore. What some would not have dared to do any other night is exactly what they do tonight.
 
You are watching TV, searching around for just something you can stand to watch for an hour or two. You get up to grab another cold one out the fridge when you see it. Instantly you stop and move closer. Whether you have to open wide a window and lean out or go outside on the porch, you get closer. You start to look out upon her pale luminosity. All of a sudden, you feel - you can't describe it - energized. You have to go do something wild, something out of the ordinary. You just have to go do something. You start calling your friends to see who's free and who will join you. By now it has already happened: you are moonstruck.
 
On these nights, it is so clear that you could cloud-watch on the lawn if the idea strikes true enough.
 
Like tonight, I was walking around the neighborhood. People were standing on a driveway totally absorbed in whatever they were discussing. I wanted to shout at them: “Hey, you! Don't you see the moon? Don't you see it casting its light upon the ground, creating shadows in the great shadow time?”
 
I was frustrated and peaceful all in a moment. “Can't you feel it too?”
 
Perplexed but I knew that soon they would experience it as well. Now, they might call it something else: a feeling, an itch, something in their bones, whatever. But they would feel it. Whether it is at the end of a good day or a crappy day, or on the eve of the Great Sleep, they will be minding their own business when they look up and there it is. And they will either regret that they have never sampled its beauty before now or cherish it as the best ending they could think of.
 
I continued my dangerous walk, unaware on some level of the moon. Barely a few minutes go by when restlessness sets in. I feel like... like teepeeing someone's house. Or streaking and running across someone's lawn. Or going skinny-dipping with some friends after sneaking into a pool. Or playing tag in the woods at midnight.
 
Just doing something totally stupid and totally crazy, not to be stupid but just to throw caution to the wind and immerse yourself completely in carelessness.
 
Only now, are you moonstruck. (staying up and drinking doesn't count)