Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ One Eye Blind ❯ One Eye Blind ( Chapter 1 )

[ A - All Readers ]

One Eye Blind
 
 
 
Sometimes I wonder… if this world in which we all live in, is really what it seems to be. If you put two and two together, will it really equal to four? If you close your eyes at daybreak, will the sun really rise nonetheless? Sometimes I think we all live in a monochrome world; a world of black and white, of light and dark, of day and night. It's as if we all see the world as how we want it to be—ruthless, and unkind...
 
As if we see with one eye blind.
 
 
And so I've come back, to the place that's lost in so many nightmares. In twenty years, it hadn't changed much, but if you were living in the middle of a world that spun with indifference, I guess you wouldn't change much as well. The world had indeed turned, and changed, and progressed, and so my many memories have shrunk down to this single, lonely house.
 
I remember Anita. Every fiber of this house reminded me of her. It's as if she had become our house itself. I remember in those days, this place was our sanctuary; our solace. The place where we built our castle of dreams.
 
“Alita, what will we be when we grow old?”
 
“I don't know, Anita. I don't really know.”
 
“... I fear the future, Alita... I don't know what it brings.”
 
“If we are together, Anita, then everything will be alright.”
 
And then she smiled. My sister always had a sweet smile. It was a memory I'd never forget; one that I'd always replay in my head, when I feel as if my world is slipping away.
 
Even now, I find it so very hard to accept that she's been long gone. Even the dust that swirled around my feet seemed to carry her scent. Sometimes I think I imagine her laugh, like a silvery bell echoing down the corridors.
 
But you see, I love Anita. I love Anita so very dearly. She was my sister, my brother, my mother, my best friend. Anita was the very center of my life, and in some ways, she still is. What had happened... was something no one ever wanted, I'm sure, but I could understand why she would hate me so. I could never say goodbye to her, but now I've finally returned to end it once and for all.
 
And so I've come back. I've come to have my peace.
 
 
It was almost twenty years, since that fateful day. Anita and I were twins; and in some aspects, even closer than twins. We were seldom apart. Even in school, we were almost constantly together.
 
We had not known any other kind of life. When we were still young, our mother died of an illness which was probably cancer, though at the time we had no idea. Since then, living alone, we only sought for each other's company; each content in just having the other. It was a perfect relationship that we both dreamed of lasting a lifetime—believing that as long as we were together, everything would be alright in our own little world.
 
But on that day, our dreams and everything in our sanctuary would be put to the test.
 
There was a fire. Somewhere in one of the rooms of the school, a small explosion occurred, and soon tongues of flame were lapping up the wooden beams of the school. Anita and I were at the library playing hide and seek, oblivious to what was going on outside. When I did finally hear the emergency bell being struck, it was already too late, and nearly the whole school was on fire.
 
The door of the library was like a blazing mouth of a cave, and everywhere flaming debris from the ceiling were falling. I remember Anita and I clinging to each other, both not wanting to let go.
 
But the way outside was narrow, so much that only one at a time could go out. I told Anita to go out first, since she was younger, and much smaller.
 
But Anita was afraid. She was frozen solid, immobilized in her state. Every fiber in her body was trembling, and tears were flowing openly from her eyes.
 
I looked around, and saw that we only have a small amount of time to escape.
 
I held my sister tight, and whispered loudly into her ear. I will come back. I will reach out my hand from the other side. And you will crash your hand in mine, and I will never let go.
 
And she nodded, hope burning faintly in her eyes.
 
And so I dashed out the doorway, feeling the searing heat rake my skin. But as I turned around to thrust my arm towards Anita, the ceiling collapsed, sealing her inside.
 
I could do nothing... nothing but listen and weep as Anita called out my name, over and over again.
 
It was after a week when they recovered what was left of my sister—a miracle in itself considering the fire that had engulfed the school. Soon after, a new building was built to replace that which was lost, and since that day, the new school always had its flag flying at half mast, a solemn reminder that not all things can be replaced.
 
I could never forgive myself. I had nightmares of her calling out to me, of my promise that I will never let go.
 
And then soon afterward, the events started. The townspeople all claimed to have seen sightings of my dead sister, prowling at night, haunting and hunting little girls. I told them all that Anita would never do such a thing, but they would never believe me. They all concluded that Anita was in fact, after me, and so after two months and three days, I was driven out of our little place of dreams.
 
And now, Anita... I have returned, like I promised I would. I am reaching out my hand to you, and I intend never to let go, just like I said twenty years ago. If you want to exact your revenge on me, I would not mind... for as long as we are together, everything will be alright.
 
 
What is that in the courtyard, am I having false visions? Is that Anita walking on soundless feet, on breathless wings?
 
“So it is true, Anita.”
 
Her hair billowed like the wrath of a typhoon.
 
“Will you take your revenge? Will you be at peace if you do?”
 
She drifted closer—on feet that never touched the ground.
 
“I could never really accept that you're dead, Anita... I love you still. But if it would appease your soul, then I give everything to you.”
 
She raised her hand like a claw, and grabbed me by my wrist. Is this my fate? Is this the only way to be forgiven, to be forgotten? But in my mind, I know that Anita could never be such a thing. In the deepest abyss of my being, I still believed...
 
And soon, I realized that she was taking me to the school, to the very same place where our dreams ended.
 
As I stood there, in the middle of the library, with my dead sister's ghost hovering before me, I was like a condemned criminal waiting for the blade to come rushing down from above.
 
And then Anita drifted right in front of me, and held my hand, like a cold, cold breeze wrapping itself on your skin. In her eyes burned a kind of light, and I saw that it was not a vengeful fury, but of something else.
 
Anita pointed to a hidden corner of the room, and I followed.
 
It was there that I saw it, behind the chipping wallpaper of the freshly-mortared burnt wall of the old building—a human skull, staring back at me with silent, hollow eyes.
 
It was then I understood, all those years Anita had haunted the place, leading young girls back to this place, it wasn't for her revenge; it was for her eternal peace.
 
And so now I stand before your grave, Anita, returning to you what was truly yours.
“Will you not say anything to me? Will you leave me empty-handed?”
 
She only gazed at me with that burning stare, her feet hovering above the grass.
 
I gazed right back. “I guess it's time... to say goodbye.”
 
As I filled the grave with the soil which we all will eventually return to someday, Anita stood right in front of me, glowing red with the setting sun. And as the first few stars came winking out in the night, Anita's ghost dissipated into the air, leaving behind a shadow of a smile and a whisper of goodbye.
 
And as I stood there, tears flowing anew, I start to wonder… if this world in which we all live in, is really what it seems to be. If you put two and two together, will it really equal to four? If you close your eyes at daybreak, will the sun really rise nonetheless? Sometimes I think we all live in a monochromatic world; a world of black and white, of light and dark, of day and night. It's as if we all see the world as how we want it to be—ruthless, and unkind...
 
As if we see with one eye blind.