Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Openmind ❯ Crashborn ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
DISCLAIMER: All characters, locations, and concepts in this piece are my original creations. Period.

Openmind - Chapter 1: Crashborn


=====


"When we are conceived into this world, we have little knowledge, if any. The only thought present is the overwhelming drive and instinct to exist, and to live."


=====

"A whole half hour..."

A check of the wristwatch for impatience. A twitch of the satchel for annoyance. A readjustment of the bucket hat for appearance.

Rin Aleximar was officially late for class.

Truth be told, the young blonde-haired student had made every honest effort to get to the Trades Academy on time. He had gotten up an hour early, eaten a proper breakfast, made sure that his new Academy uniform was in order, and had double-checked the contents of his cargo satchel. It was, unfortunately, now utterly and completely pointless. The bus stop sign, swaying and shaking in the wind, seemed to be laughing at Rin, who still stood waiting forlornly for a hoverbus that still hadn't arrived.

Faced with the frustrating, almost apathetic facelessness of the highway horizon, Rin did the only thing which seemed logical at the moment. He roundly, loudly swore.

"Shit."

Suddenly feeling somewhat better from having verbally released his frustration and anger, Rin began to get a little carried away with his gusto in giving a verbal tirade against mass transit and hoverbuses.

"Goddamn spitass hovering motherf-"

Unfortunately, it was at that moment that somebody chose to finally end Rin's status as a lone bus stop standee.

"The bus is delayed, but will arrive soon. The Self-Propelled-Organics-Residence-Entity Delta Mass Transit Line 187 has encountered a temporary setback due to a traffic accident on the 110th Intracity Highway."

Rin spun around in embarrassed confusion and managed to mute the last part of his intended expletive in a confused splutter. Standing before him was a young man, similarly attired in the uniform of a Trades Academy student. A pair of large, round spectacles stood perched on his nose, obscured by a mop of disheveled raven-black hair.

The new arrival bowed slightly in silent apology to Rin's still-spluttering reaction and took a seat on the curb of the pavement.

Rin could only arch an eyebrow and shake his head, before muttering a single line that seemed to go unnoticed by his fellow brother-in-tardiness.

"Welcome to the club."


=====


"SPIRE Control, this is Armory-15 Hauler, callsign DARKRAVEN. Awaiting confirmation for PORTCULLIS approach."

There was a brief crackle of static over the cargohauler's communications grid.

"DARKRAVEN, this is SPIRE Control. We read. Confirmation is accepted. Final PORTCULLIS approach is approved. COMMAND requests cargo status."

The cargohauler's pilot chuffed through his airmask in slight annoyance at the demand for constant protocol. "Cargo shows green across the board. Locking pins are secure."

"COMMAND acknowledges, DARKRAVEN."

"SPIRE Control, what is the current readout on the monsterboard?"

There was a brief pause as the adjutant on the other end of the line checked his monitor. "Screens show negative across the wavesign, DARKRAVEN. RUAKH threatsigns are minimal. PORTCULLIS is cycling now."

"Roger, SPIRE Control. DARKRAVEN out."

The pilot of DARKRAVEN leaned back in his bucket seat and sighed in brief vexation. "Seriously, Bradders, I don't get it. This is the third trip we've made across this godsforsaken SPORE skyline. Just what do these guys want with all these shipments?"

The co-pilot sitting next to him shrugged, almost imperceptibly. "What do you expect Jonas? They're Wardsmen. We're Armory-15. They want it, they order it, we make it, we bring it... even though we don't know for shit what we're delivering. What else can we do? They're holding our paycards."

DARKRAVEN's pilot nodded in rueful agreement. "Yeah. Our paycards, and almost every other card in the deck too."


=====


Remarkably, the hoverbus finally did arrive. It did little to reduce Rin's irritation and aggravation, however.

The bus being completely empty, Rin found himself taking a seat facing his fellow student. An eye of piercing grey stared out at Rin from the left side of a face that was mostly obscured by spectacles and disheveled black hair, before turning its gaze towards the SPORE skyline outside.

The heavy silence of the hoverbus interior discomfited Rin, prompting him to speak... if only to break the almost-tangible tension that hung in the air.

"So... you're a Trades Academy student too?"

There was a slight pause before the mop of black hair almost imperceptibly bobbed up and down in affirmation.

Rin quirked an eyebrow at the boy's taciturn response, and decided to ask another question.

"What's your name?"

The black-haired student fixed him with another piercing glance, before reaching into his pocket and pulling out a small rectangle of plastic. Taking the student ID from the hand proffered to him, Rin read the name printed onto the card.

"...Markal." Rin stared at the card in slight confusion before handing the ID back to its owner. "Just Markal?"

Markal stared at Rin for a long moment before speaking.

"My societal designation is that of an orphan, with my parentage being unknown. I therefore lack a surname in my records."

Rin shook his head. "I'm sorry to hear that."

Markal shook his head. "There is no need to submit an apology. My operational memory has no recollection of any parentage, and therefore, I have no longings present in regards to my parentage."

Rin cocked an eyebrow. "I find that hard to believe."

"Perhaps. I have been informed that most in society have a present system of... affections that are linked to predecessors and successors. It is quite obvious that each of us would have little or no understanding in regards to the emotions and viewpoints of the other."

Rin's mouth twisted wryly upwards at his fellow bus rider. "So it would seem. What about... friends? Surely you have somebody you would call a friend."

Markal blinked and seemed to digest the idea before responding. "I am aware of the existence of the word and its corresponding concept. However, to give an answer to your query... No."

Now on the verge of actually grinning at his fellow campusmate's replies, Rin nodded in acknowledgment. "So. No family and no friends. But don't you sometimes feel... well, envious of those who have them?"

Markal paused in thought at Rin's remark. "Clarification: I do not possess the sentiment of envy in regards to those in human society who have family and friends. However, I may be forced to acknowledge that I do have... curiosity in regards to my lack of such attachments. I have often found myself wondering as to what it would be like in regards to having an emotional attachment to a family or a friend."

Rin nodded, feeling satisfied that his fellow student had at least SOME emotions that tied him to the grid of humanity. "That sounds a bit more human. But... why do you speak like that?"

The eye of grey blinked. "Request: Please clarify."

Rin frowned slightly. "That's exactly what I mean. Why do you speak like... well, a robot or an AI from a sci-fi flick?"

"Classification: Sci-fi flick: Language slang adjective, attached to a noun. A form of visual entertainment in motion, often depicting topics, concepts, and ideals linked to human scientific progress. To clarify your confusion, I have always spoken like this since the beginning of my existence and self-awareness. I have not seen any reason to communicate otherwise."

Rin's shook his head in amused disbelief. "Never mind. Is this your first day at the Academy too?"

Markal nodded. "Correct."

"What's your classes?"

"Database & Network Systems."

Rin quirked an eyebrow. "Database & Network Systems? One second..." Reaching into his satchel, Rin pulled a crumpled printout out from his lapbook and nodded. "I thought so."

"Is something the matter?"

Rin chuckled. "As a matter of fact, I'm also in D & N Systems. Looks like we're going to be classmates."

There was a long moment of silence as Markal, lost in thought, gave no reply to Rin's observation.

Rin blinked in slight puzzlement. "Is something wrong?"

Markal suddenly broke from his reverie. "I have already made mention of the fact that I have no... friends, correct?"

Rin nodded. "That's right."

"Perhaps... it is time that I corrected that particular deficiency. Is it possible for you... to be my friend?"

Rin gave Markal a puzzled look. "Eh? Why the sudden want for a friend? I thought you got along just fine without one."

Markal gave Rin a piercing stare before giving his reply. "Up until now, I have possessed little experience in social matters. My previous situations did not require me to have skills relevant to dealing with people. Now, however, in order for me to fulfill my new parameters, I will need experience in properly dealing with social settings and structures. That will include 'making'... and 'keeping' friends."

Rin gave Markal a dry half-smile as he thought about it. "All right. So you consider me your friend now. A bit quick for my taste, but... okay. I would've preferred to start with 'acquaintance', but I guess this will be fine."

"So it would seem."

"All right, then... got any hobbies?"


=====


A cloaked figure was perched on top of DARKRAVEN's hull. A gloved hand in the pocket. Glide out. Pocketwatch and chain in hand.

A brief rush of wind from the turbines, and the figure holding the pocketwatch of chrome seemed to sigh in a paralleling echo of DARKRAVEN's engines. The figure checked the watch.

Beneath a battered wide-brim hat of dark grey, an eye stared down upon the SPORE cityquilt of steel that stretched out below DARKRAVEN's oblong bulk.

One sentence.

"It's time."


=====


It was at that moment that DARKRAVEN's proximity alarm blew. Jonas gave a short, barking curse. Behind his airmask, Bradders' face paled in sickly fear. Quickly flicking the communications grid back on, the pilot of DARKRAVEN muttered one short line before reaching for the pitchyaw-sticks.

"SPIRE Control... we have proximity alert. We have three, no, four contacts on threat wavesign. Package is in jeopardy!"

Bradders flung the throttle open as the cargohauler's turbines whined in protest at the unexpected acceleration.

Jonas turned to the wavesign monitor as he twisted the py-sticks. "Set an evasive plotcourse, Bradders. We may have a chance yet. Just keep an eye on those engines."

Bradders shook his head in a mingled jumble of fear, disbelief, and disgust. "Of all the times for RUAKH to show their shit-ugly faces here..."

"Stuff it, Bradders. We've got a delivery to make. Contact room?"

Bradders gave his screens a brief once-over before making a slight adjustment to the turbines. "Threatsigns are ETA 20 on cycle."

Jonas yanked the throttle wide open as he shoved the py-sticks forward. "Great... hang on, we just might be able to make the approach if we strain the turbines hard enough-"


=====


Where the cloaked figure had once stood on top of DARKRAVEN's fuel-distribution/diffusion array, there was now a timer. Tick. Tock. Tick. Tock.

Three.

Two.

One.

Zero.

B oom.


=====


Any other commentary inside the cockpit was abruptly cut short as a fireballing explosion pulsed throughout the length of the cargohauler, utterly incinerating the cargohauler's unfortunate crew.

Effectively pilotless, the cargohauler began to nose downwards... towards the jagged skyline of SPORE Delta.


=====


"So you mean... you have NO hobbies? No interests? Nothing?" Rin stared at his new friend in disbelief.

Markal shook his head. "Negative. My work has occupied all of my time."

Rin scratched his head in puzzlement. "Just what sort of crazy job do you have?"

"That information is classified. I cannot comment on th-"

It was at that moment that a huge wall of steel slammed and crashed through the cabin of the hoverbus, sending everything flying in all directions... including the two students.


=====


"What do you mean, 'Contact Lost'!?"

Colonel Phineas Glott was not a happy man. With an uneventful early-morning shift, the Colonel had hoped for another decent day. Unfortunately, the events that had just occurred had now robbed him of any corresponding hopes.

As if incoming RUAKH weren't enough to shit on one's mechanical parade...

Glott turned to a nearby adjutant. "What's the RUAKH threatsign E.T.A.?"

"10 on cycle."

The Colonel cursed as he turned to a nearby dispatch officer. "Status on the retrieval team?"

"GAMMA team will be ready on 5."

Glott angrily shook his head as he returned his attention back to the status displays. "I was hoping that we'd be able to have a peaceful delivery... just once! How the hell do those RUAKH bastards know where we're stationing those shipments!?"

A sudden blaring of klaxons and sirens abruptly cut off the Colonel's complaints as a nearby communications ensign looked up from his monitor in alarm.

"S-sir... we have RUAKH contact!"

"Godsdamned..." The only thing that the Colonel could do was furiously and helplessly watch the monitors as several dark shapes closed in on DARKRAVEN's wreckage.


=====


A keening scream broke through the chaos of noise, heat, and terror, bringing a portion of Rin's consciousness back into focus. There was blood everywhere... and fire and heat and smoke. Fearful cries of escaping pedestrians, and the cries of the wounded echoed down the thoroughfare.

It was like a battlezone.

The only thing Rin could see through the haze of agony and searing pain was a slim figure standing over him, topped by a disheveled mop of black hair.

Markal...?

Everything then went dark as another shooting spasm of pain plunged him back into darkness.


=====


Colonel Glott clutched at his hair like a man robbed of all sanity, certain that nothing awaited him except for utter disaster. With the retrieval team still undergoing pre-launch and with the cargo in certain jeopardy, the poor Colonel was certain that a dishonorable discharge would be next.

It was then that one of the adjutants suddenly gave an intermingled yell of shock and surprise.

"S-sir! There is a signal coming from DARKRAVEN's crash site!"

Glott looked up from his terminal. "A signal?"

The adjutant's eyes held terror, alarm, and a slight tinge of hope. "The cargo... has gone active."


=====


Four circling shadows hovered above the wreckage of DARKRAVEN and the unfortunate hoverbus that had been beneath it, keening savage cries and frenzied cacaphonies of bestial power.

The RUAKH.

Monochromatic in greys. Twisted. Formless. Subconscious terrors embodied into conscious monsters.

Screams and cries for help continued to ring through the wrecked thoroughfare as smoke, flames, and sparking circuits punctuated the scene.

One of the RUAKH finally seemed to gather its courage to descend upon the wreckage of DARKRAVEN, alighting upon the twisted mass of steel and conduits with a feral screech.

That dissonant cry was quickly cut off as the wreckage of DARKRAVEN abruptly burst open.


=====


Glott and the other crewmembers of SPIRE Control could only stare in horrified wonder and awe at the scene that unfolded in front of them on the main viewscreen.

A low-ranking ensign finally managed to find his voice, only to use it to break every form of military protocol in doing so.

"Motherfucker..."

The Colonel couldn't blame him one bit.


=====


When Rin finally regained consciousness, he found himself staring up at an unfamiliar pattern of white tiles and fluorescent lightstrips. The chafing sensation of low-quality linen and rough fabric made his hindquarters itch. A splitting headache seemed to curl through his skull.

"I observe that you have finally regained consciousness."

Nearby, Markal sat on a plastic folding chair, looking up from a compbook that he had been perusing.

Rin, still somewhat dazed, tentatively reached up to scratch his forehead when Markal abruptly rushed out of his seat and grabbed Rin's wrist.

"I suggest that you do not touch that. There are bandages in place that are currently wound around the upper extremities of your cranium."

Rin nodded slightly and eased back into the bed he had been lying on.

"Where... are we?"

"You are currently stationed in a ward located on the fourth level of the Intermedik Public Hospital Facility. Your injuries sustained in the... incident were severe, but the medical care on hand should ensure that you will be capable of release tomorrow. The Trades Academy administration office has been notified of the... incident. Our attendance records have not been negatively affected by today's events."

Rin groaned as he resisted the urge to scratch his forehead. "W-what... happened?"

Markal blinked. "There was a RUAKH attack. Our hoverbus became... involved, and lost control and crashed onto a nearby thoroughfare below us. There have been reports of high casualties on the newswaves, although I suspect that the actual numbers will be much higher than the quantities reported."

The blonde-haired student nodded. "How... did I end up here though?"

Rin's new friend merely blinked again. "You possess a weight that matches the population average. It appears that you have been maintaining some form of physical activity, which is commendable."

Rin blinked back in surprise, then gave him a wry grin. "Are you saying that you... carried me out of there?"

The raven-haired young man fixed Rin with a piercing stare. "You have allowed yourself to be classified under the designation of a... friend. Does not the concept of being a friend come as a mutual designation?"

Rin could only chuckle at Markal's observation as he slipped back into sleep. "It looks like you don't need to learn much about making friends after all..."


=====


I. "This meeting is now in session. All statements will now be put on record for possible future retrieval and reference."

II. "Understood. The Council may now be seated."

III. "What is the subject of this meeting?"

IV. "The unforseen activation of the Ninth."

V. "Unforseen? I find the unexpected proximity of the Heart of the Ninth to the scene of the disaster to be much more than mere coincidence."

VI. "Undoubtedly. The convenience is of a magnitude that cannot be ignored."

VII. "Nonetheless, the cargo has been preserved, in part, due to the actions of its Heart. We should be grateful, at least, for that."

VIII. "Indeed. I find the Heart's performance to have exceeded our expectations. I do believe that we can all express our satisfaction at seeing our plans manage to successfully come this far."

IX. "There is no prize that comes within reach without effort and sacrifice. Let us not forget that this particular phase of our plan has cost numerous lives."

X. "It is of no consequence. Soon, none of the cost will matter. The prize itself justifies as such."

XI. "There is but one matter that worries me, however.

XII. "And that would be?"

I. "It is the matter of DARKRAVEN. The maintenance crew in charge of the transport has already mentioned that there were no mechanical defects present when they gave final clearance for the launch."

II. "Then... sabotage?"

III. "Possibly."

IV. "But who would have the ability... or for that matter, the audacity? Especially in view of the fact that we are their saviors?"

V. "Could it be... Him?"

VI. "Impossible. We have made sure that he would be a nonquantity."

VII. "Nonquantities present their own problems."

VIII. "But even if it was His work, I doubt that it will have any overall effect on our work."

IX. "Perhaps. Only the future will confirm our suspicions... and our arrogance."

X. "Unfortunately true."

XI. "It appears that we will undoubtedly be needing the services of the Heart of the Ninth with increasing frequency as we come ever nearer to our goal."

XII. "So it would seem. But, as long as the Heart of the Ninth carries our masterwork, there is little doubt that we will succeed. I see no need to change the course of our plan."

I. "Then are we in mutual agreement as to our assessment? Very well then. Our plan will continue as agreed. The meeting has now concluded."


To Be Continued...