Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Other side ❯ Otherside ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Hello my name is Laura Adams, let me tell you a little about myself. I'm tall, blonde and supposively attractive through that dosen't matter now. For that was the past, what life was like long ago. Now, now I'm a monster, a murderer. It wasn't intentionall but I guess that's no excuse. The person I killed? The person I killed was one of the two people I had ever really cared about perhaps even loved. Ironic isn't it?


When I was five, my mother and father died in a car crash, I was also in the car at the time, but miraculously I survived. Several months passed before I was aware that I was in a hospital. The doctor was a cruel harsh man that only worked the amount he was paid. Of course I had no family and little money. The nurses were no better. Faceless phantoms that walked around, used to starring death in the face. Cowering in the pale white sheets I felt cold, scared, alone. I remembered little about my past except for a few brief moments of hapiness. I also remembered the car crash, the people in white suits caring mama and papa away. The man with the teddy bear that gave me a hug and told me everything was going too be alright.


Twenty years have passed since the crash and now I hate that man. He blinded me, he lied. Most people can't handle the truth, truth is a cold harsh thing, many swear they want the truth but they swear at the altar of false gods. The truth is over rated. I was no exception, the truth hurt and lies were like a band-aid. Band aids hide the wound, they protect it but when it peels of it would've healed faster without it. I remeber teddy he was warm and cuddly until I realised mama and papa wasn't coming back. I killed him. But grandfather came, he brought me toys and flowers, he told me "You never know someone until they're gone" I missed mama and papa, I even missed teddy I had tore up. But they had all gone down memory lane and wouldn't be coming back.


When grandpapa came to pick me up, grandpapa was nice he gave me hugs and told me I was the best girl ever. I knew he loved grandmama he had pretty photo's of her all over the house. He missed grandmama just like I missed mama and papa. He never mentioned grandmama to me, through he was about to many times. I was quiet when grandpapa tried to tell me. I didn't want to hurt grandpapa. Hurt was a pain that us as people felt, grandpapa was a kind man he didn't deserve pain. grandpapa told me he was my friend and that he would be my papa forever.


The childishness of youth, I thought that he was going to be my father forever. Time dosen't allow that. Time takes everything life, friends, memorise.


When I was six I used to sit on grandpapa's lap and read him stories from the school library. Grandpapa told me I was smart, I always smiled and gave him a hug. But grandpapa would always fall asleep in the middle so I would pinch his ear. Gradnpapa was angry and I thought he would hit me. But grandpapa would always smile and laugh and tell me to read on and I would. The countless hours we spent on the old rocking chair, the warm sunlight on our faces.


It was always fine back then, my childish behaviour, my childish dreams. I didn't need any friends, grandfather was my friend and he was the only friend I needed.
At the age of seven I finished reading Mary Shelley's Frankenstein.The story really touched me, cause in a way, I was that Frankenstein. But I guess that was my fault I hated socializing, to me it was boring and a waste of time, plus people asked me to many questions.

Who are you?
Where do you live?
What's your name?
What did you do on the weekend?
Why don't you want to be friends?


At the age of 14 I made my first friend, a boy named Joel Thompson. Joel was different, he didn't ask silly questions and respected my personal matters. He didn't care if I spoke to him or not. For the first week he sat next to me and said nothing at all. He was popular with everyone. I guess he was cute. The way he persisted on being my friend. When I asked him why he even cared he told me "no one deserves to be alone".

Grandfather used to take me with him to go collect big parcel from the post office when I was small. But grandfather had grown old another effect of time. Grandfther was always trembling but he always had a smile on for me when I got home. But that day was different, that day I killed Joel.

After collecting the Parcel from Ms P. Smith which arrived every month, who according to grandpa was a old friend of his. Joel who worked at the post office gave me the thumbs up as I left. When I left the post office it had started to rain and the parcel was getting wet. I dashed out on to the road to get home but I didn't realise the car until it was to late. I had frozen to the ground in fear and stared at my approaching death. That's when Joel shoved me.


Stupid guy had followed me out to give me his umbrella. A real gentleman he was a real stupid gentleman. Unfortunately the man in the car hadn't seen me or Joel. The car hit him full force and I remember screaming as Joel's bloody figure hit the ground. Luckily the man was an trained doctor and quickly took Joel to hospital in his own car. Joel survived and when I told him I was sorry. He smiled and shook his head. "Don't apologize for my actions" I didn't realise he was saying that he was responsible for his own actions. I avoided him during his stay at the hospital. I had caused him to much harm and I thought he meant that he didn't want to see me for what I had done. Little did I know that I'd regret it later.



Joel was rewarded at school for his heroic deed. Everyone looked up to him as a saviour. Joel considered himself to be officially my boy friend. I didn't love him, not then. But he didn't know, I didn't tell him, a band aid. Joel was the hero, I was the villain, girls snarled at me for my stupidity. I didn't care I was used to it. I was used to life.


Two years after the crash I lost everything. On my birthdays there was no bandana reading Happy Birthday Laura, no pile of presents, no crazy hats and dress ups, no friends. My birthdays were me and my grandfather sitting in the garden eating my birthday cake. That was all I needed, but that year I invited Joel, he told me he'd get me something great. So grandpa and I set up the cake the chairs the table and waited. Grandpa was really happy I was making friends and I myself was unbeleivably excited. But that excitement was like a candle. After waiting hours the excitement died. He never came.


I still remeber sitting in the garden all night. In the morning I hated him, I hated Joel, I vowed I'd kill him for what he had done to me. I even prepared a speech for him on how much he had hurt me. But Joel never came to school again. He never worked at the post office anymore. Perhaps he had moved to a different school or had flunked out completely. Whichever way he had abandoned me. Most people think that turst and betrayal are two opposite things. To me they are a result of the other. A chain reaction. To trust someone means only to be betrayed. I had a friend and It was the happiest moment of my life, but he betrayed me grandpa was the only one I could trust. That's the most mysterious thing about tragedy it often occurs at the most happiest moments. It's like being on top of the world. Once your there there's only one place to go.
Down.


It wasn't for another 5 weeks before I got over my grudge and finally started to consider any possible explanation. Perhaps an accident? The words froze in my mind as the events of the past plagued my mind. I stood up knocking the chair over as I dashed out of the class. As I zoomed down the school main hall I bumped into one of the schools office ladies. I quickly picked myself and zoomed out. Mrs Knights hysterical voice could be heard all over the school as she screeched as me from my english class. But to me I could only see the car hitting Joel, his body drenched in blood. I heard Mrs Kenedy the office lady shouting at me about a heart attack but that wasn't important.


I had trusted Joel with all my secrets, troubles feelings, dreams, everything. I had thought he had done the same to me. But on that exact day I found out that Joel had kept at least one secret from me. Joel had had AIDS. It had been from the the blood transfusion he had received at the hospital he visited after the accident. I had vowed I would kill him when he didn't turn up, I kept my vow I had done exactly that.


I visited the flora shop on my way to the site where Joel lay. The woman a thin young lady was getting ready to leave as it was 7. But she smiled and reopened for me as I picked a nice bouquet of roses. I gave her the roses and asked how much it was. She smiled "whose it for dear? A boyfriend?" I nodded. "You know you should really let them buy flowers for you." I shook my head it's a parting gift. The lady frowned "I'm sorry dear, I didn't know" I shook me head as I dismissed her apology. The ladies face brightened up "I know the roses are yours free of charge". I thanked her and was about to leave when I realised there was a card with the roses. "I'm sorry to bother you again, but could I please borrow that pen" I said nodding to her breast pocket. She smiled again "Certainly dear, actually keep it a gift from me" I thanked her again and left for the Cemetery.

As I entered the dark cemetery I looked around. Normal people may have waited till tomorrow to come. But I owed Joel and I wasn't scared of ghost and zombies even if they did exist. People where much more dangerous and frightening. It took my several minutes before I found the location. A decaying group of flower lay ontop of his plaque. I smiled, a sad smile. As I placed mine next to the shrivelled flowers. I stared at the plaque sadly for a few minutes before removing the card and pen from my pocket. I quickly scribbled my note down. My final note.

The breeze was strong that night. Luckily it was a full moon otherwise I would have missed the small blue box that lay among the flowers. I picked it up. It had a tag on it with my name on it. I wondered what it was. I opened to receive my first and last birthday present. A gold diamond ring. He'd told me he was saving up for something. But he never told me it was something for me. I slipped out the birthday card, Happy Birthday Laura. The simple words that meant so much to me. I sliped the ring onto my right hand's third finger. Tears welled up in my eyes. I had killed him, there was no better way of putting it. Tears fell down my cheeks like a water fall. I couldn't contain the sadness it burst out in a howl on anguish as I slowly cried myself to sleep next to the grave of my boyfriend.


You never know someone until they're gone. Grandfather had said that many times when he referred to his past or my parents. The question had puzzled me many times when I was little. How could anyone know anything about someone if their dead. The answer to that question layed beside me as I slept that night. All the things that I had taken for granted about him, the times I had avoided or rejected to spend time with him, times I could have spent with him I had wasted, smothered me like a thick mist of ghosts. All were but sad memorise sad memorise that again were thrown down memory isle.


The next morning I was woken by a plump old lady with spectacles. I looked at her as if she had invaded my personal space until I saw the sad deep blue eyes I myself must have shown. She smiled, a sad smile but a smile "Hello dear, my name is Pamela Smith" she said as she offered her hand. I shook it and replied "Laura" in a mournful voice. I saw the people leaving as they left a freshly buried coffin. I looked over sadly another life gone. Pamela smiled "A friend of mine" I nodded "I'm sorry". Tears formed on her eyelashes "A great man he was" She wiped the tears away "my boyfriend back at school" I nodded again. "Of course that was along time ago" She said trying to lighten the mood. The word boyfriend stung me but I nodded. "He must have been a happy man when he was alive with a wife like you" I said uncertainly. "She shook her head Arthur wasn't my husband" she sighed. "He got married with a friend of mine Kara Adams. My blood ran cold. "Umm I'm terribly sorry if this seems rude but this man, Arthur was his last name Adams?" The woman nodded "Died of a heart attack yesterday, lived with his grand daughter called Laura Adams you wouldn't happen to know her would you?


Several years have passed, my legal guardian Pamela had died of old age. So today I return to this spot where my boyfriend Joel and grandfather Arthur lay. No one will miss me, for all the people who I love are waiting for me on the other side.