Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Outside the Prep ❯ *insert title here* ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Like I said, this was written mainly because a friend annoyed ME, and this was the result. But please don't compare me to the annoyed friend because that is definitely NOT what happened, and I'm a band geek. :)
 
----------
 
“…But I still don't have a date to the prom! Isn't that, like, the most pathetic thing in the entire world? I can't wait, Semi, I really can't. I've been planning my attire practically the whole year, and I've been really careful not to gain weight so I actually get to wear my dress…”
 
Semirah was trying to listen to her friend, she really was. The prom was a big event for all the seniors, right from the cheerleading captain down to the sexually active band geek. She should've been overly excited just like Janis was. After all, she was the cheerleading co captain.
 
But lately, she just…wasn't.
 
That's when she noticed a waving hand in front of her face. Blinking awake, she offered an apologetic smile to the annoyed fellow cheerleader.
 
“I'm sorry, Janis.” She said sincerely, taking a sip of her bottled water.
 
Janis just rolled her eyes as she took another sip of her bottled water. She'd given up soft drinks long ago, thinking the fattening product below her standards. Once the cap was rightfully screwed back on the top, Janis sighed to show Semirah her annoyance.
 
“I said I was sorry.” Semirah defended, frowning at Janice's stubborn mood.
 
A freshman girl walked down the row of tables, quickening her pace as she passed the intimidating seniors.
 
Semirah chuckled in amusement. “They get smaller every year.”
 
Janice, who was inspecting her newly manicured nails, looked up with the same annoyed look. “I think you're getting weirder every week.”
 
The words bounced off Semirah. She was determined to not let Janice get her down. “Maybe I am.”
 
“You're not supposed to agree with me!” Janice snapped, her features going into worried mode. “Semi, you have been really odd lately, and you never tell me what's on your mind. What am I supposed to think?”
 
Semirah considered this. Had she really been that distant to her own best friend? What did the rest of her friends think? She hadn't noticed their recent behavior towards her. She thought they acted the same as they always had-
 
“That! That's what I'm talking about!” Janice exclaimed, pointing her finger at Semirah in a dramatic fashion. “You just go into these silences and land on planet zonked out!”
 
Semirah couldn't help but giggle at how worked up her blonde friend could get. It really was something she would miss when they parted ways. Of course they would keep in touch by email, but even the power of yahoo couldn't substitute for live and in person reactions.
 
Seeing that Janice was going t remain silent, Semirah tried to explain herself. “I guess I've just been out of it with graduation coming up.”
 
“That's what you always say.” The other said, obviously not convinced of Semirah's excuse.
 
“I would tell you, Janice, but the thing is... I don't really know why I've been like this. Everything just seems so pointless, like it's not worth doing or something.” She was trying to word it the best she could, hoping her brunette friend would understand.
 
Apparently, she didn't. “What the hell are you talking about, Semi? You sound like some emo kid!” According to Janice, being in the emo crowd was the most social suicidal sin anyone could commit.
 
But today Semirah found it rather interesting. “Do I?” She mused, more to herself than Janice.
 
Janice wasn't about to sit there and be ignored the entire lunch time. She stood up, sending Semirah a nasty look. “I'm going to another table unless you convince me otherwise.”
 
Semirah nodded. Normally she would have apologized profusely if Janice pulled these petty threats on her. But then, she hadn't been normal the past few weeks.
 
Looking up at her supposedly good friend, she grinned patronizingly. “Go ahead, Janice. I've been thinking about going to the library anyway.”
 
Janice audibly gasped. Enough was enough. Picking up her books, she made sure to click her heels loudly as she proudly stalked away.
 
Left alone, Semirah once again let her mind wander. People were sending her odd looks; it was highly unusual for their cheerleading co captain to go unaccompanied during lunch, or any time really.
 
She just sent them all a cheerful smile, letting them know that she was perfectly fine on her own. Finally coming to a conclusion, the social butterfly grabbed her purse and calmly strode out of the cafeteria. She was going to pay that visit to the library.
 
----------
 
I'd enjoy reviews that help me as a writer, constructive criticism please? I'd like to improve as writer as much as I can. Of course, compliments are nice too ^_^ So whatever you have to say if this was even worth reading.