Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Polus Poena ❯ bitterness ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
If we judge our lives by a centimeter then we don’t live very big lives. -Seer-Sandman

Polus poena

Today I will tell you a story a story of creatures both dark and terrible and people good and pure. But this story also contains characters who get scared, do the things, and can be swayed by the words of others. In this story you may find that things don’t always go as planned and that all things are not destined to have happy endings. If in the end these thoughts spring to mind then as the teller of this story my task is complete.

Now then in your mind I want you to imagine a cluster of islands surrounded by a ring of land with every inch of the ring covered in a vast city with mighty towers and grand statues. Now in this city I want you to imagine a small dusty house in a slum area. Now in this house shall reside a small girl whom will set into motion the series of events vital to our story. This girl has long messy red hair and pure white eyes with slit pupils.

Besides her this house has but one other occupant , a 10 foot tall hunched over creature whose very body is deep blue. On his head there is a single green horn protruding in a downward fishhook curve. This monstrous creature wears a red cloak with green slash marks covering it, and sits quietly and unmoving in the corner.

At a slow nod from the girl the beast grins revealing a set of razor teeth before holding out his hand and gathering energy in it. Only one word is spoken and it is said by both occupants at the same time, the beast in a slow silky voice and the girl in a high raspy tone.

“Extermination.”

Now then all the way across the planet from this place there is another land, this one though only half as large as the last. This land will be known as Renika and is home to another large city called Theriton which contains another small house in another slums district. In this house however there is a older boy of the age of fourteen with medium length black hair with blond tips scattered wildly in front of his face. He lifts his head to reveal muddy brown eyes freshly stained with tears. This is Alviss Periton and he recently became the sole occupant of this house. This boy is our protagonist.

This is also were the story begins.

-

“How stupid, getting killed by trying to stop a stupid fight.” grumbled Alviss getting up and walking to the door. ‘Best I don’t stay here any longer.’ he thought as he opened the door and exited the house never looking back.

The truth of the matter was that he was extremely bitter. But then again how could he not be when not two days ago his sister had died while trying to stop an armed fight between he boyfriend, a man named Renard, and his rival in business Golvid.

‘Heh, how pathetic that she decided to die for someone. I’d never waste my life on someone else.’ he thought making a turn down into an alley. ‘I think I might as well attend the funeral though, she did deserve that much.’

Thinking that he turned down an alley that would lead him to a church only to be stopped by a large hand on his shoulder. “What do you want?” he said spinning and slapping the hand off.

“Na much, jus tha yer future ain’t tha bright.” said a Cyclops rubbing his hand. “I was tinkin tha ya might wanna get yer future told.” Grinning the Cyclops beckoned to a large table behind him. “Never know I migh ave sumtin fer ya.”

“No thanks I have to go to a funeral.” said Alviss turning away and walking down the alleyway towards the church. “And I don’t believe in fate, what happens to us is the result of our actions.” ‘Just like you sis.’

“Well if ya say so.” said the Cyclops turning and walking back to his table. “But I think that ya will see me again.” Waving the Cyclops began shuffling through his items.

‘Freak.’ thought Alviss as he walked briskly through the alleyways before he finally made it to the church. ‘Like he could actually control the future much less see it.’ Quickly he jogged up the many steps up to the church of Gormele where his sisters funeral was being held. Ignoring the scornful looks the people were casting on the rags he was wearing he walked purposefully into the church. He was immediately approached by a tall striking blond man with grey eyes. “Hello Renard.” he forced out.

“Good to see you here Alviss.” said Renard warmly. “I am truly sorry about what happened to your sister. If there’s anything I can do just tell me.”

“There’s nothing you could nor would do that would help me.” growled Alviss brushing through the crowd of people he was sure were only here to gain standing with rich boy Renard. ‘Pathetic that they ruin my sisters funeral just for a higher standing.’

“Quiet please.” said Renard climbing up to the podium above the casket in which Alviss’s sister lay peacefully. “We have all come here to honor the memory of…”

“SHUT UP!” yelled Alviss his anger boiling over at last.

“Wha? Alviss what’s wrong with you?” asked Renard staring open mouthed at Alviss appalled by the sudden outburst. “This is a solemn time please do not dishonor your sister by causing a scene!”

“The only ones dishonoring my sister’s memory are you people, the people who killed her and the lackeys of those people, even attending her funeral. And you Renard are the worst of all, the only reason you did anything with my sister was because you wanted to screw her!” yelled Alviss drawing a hidden knife and running at Renard who drew a rapier and dodged the attack.

“Stop this at once!” said Renard knocking the blade out of Alviss’s hands. “Can’t you see your sister wouldn’t want this?”

“Hah only because she was an idiot who threw her life away to save your pathetic skin.” said Alviss dodging around the panicking people in the crowd and retrieving his dagger only to find a rapier at his throat.

“Do not ever speak of your sister in that way again.” growled Renard pulling the dagger from Alviss’s hands and throwing it into the ceiling. “Now leave or I’ll kill you.”

“Fuck you I’ll.” began Alviss only to be stopped when the rags he was wearing split in half revealing two light slash wounds over his heart. Trembling in fear as he realized the difference in his and Renard’s power Alviss quickly turned and ran out of the church but not before tossing out one more threat. “Better enjoy life Renard, I will kill you!”

Sighing Renard turned back to the group of people sadly before walking up to the casket in which Alviss’s sister lay and shutting the lid. ‘I only hope that someday you give me a chance to tell you how sorry I am for what happened Alviss and I hope that you will realize just how great a woman your sister was.’

-

“I can’t believe I almost died.” gasped Alviss running down the alleyways he came through before with tears running down his face. “I was so scared.” ‘Was this how sister felt?’ Stopping for a moment after he passed the Cyclops and his table Alviss was quickly consumed by thought. ‘I don’t want to die and I’ll do whatever it takes to prevent it.’

“If that’s so then maybe ya should seek a plan in tha future.” said the Cyclops grinning at him happily. “Ya never know migh see sometin that could save ya down the road.”

Jumping Alviss glared at the Cyclops incredulously before nodding and sitting at the table. “How did you know what I was thinking?” he asked suspiciously.

“Ya think aloud.” said the Cyclops happily before pulling out a large red diamond shaped crystal. “Now den put ya hands on da crystal for a few seconds.”

“Whatever.” grumbled Alviss putting his hands on the crystal tentatively. “You sure this’ll help me?”

“Well it’s free eda way so dun worry bout it.” said the Cyclops Frowning as he looked into the crystal. “Ah ya came ere jus in time, ya were gonna die in a few days.”

“Really?” asked Alviss trying to sound nonchalant even though in truth he was a bit relived that he had come in time to save himself. ’Urgh, what am I thinking, I don’t’ believe in this crap!’ Deciding to see where this went Alviss asked the Cyclops what exactly could he do to avoid this dark fate.

“Well take dis.” said the Cyclops handing the boy a small green rock. “It’s free of charge.”

“Thaaanks.” said Alviss rolling his eyes and standing up. “Listen,” he said, “it’s a very pretty stone and all but will it really save my life?”

“If ya dun wan it den I’ll keep it.” said the Cyclops withdrawing his hand. “And ya cen die in de orrible painful way.”

“Fine, give it to me.” said Alviss stiffening at the thought of his own death. “I mean it’s free so it can’t hurt.”

“Dat’s da spirit!” yelled the Cyclops happily slamming the stone into Alviss’s hand causing the young man to fall over from the sheer force of the blow. “Jus dun break it.” he said turning very serious for a second. “They say ders a Slaten sealed inside, bad stuff.”

“What’s a Slaten?” asked Alviss sitting up and rubbing his nose tenderly. “Some sort of demon?”

“Nah it’s sumtin far worse den a demon.” said the Cyclops nodding his head sagely. “Well I’m not real sure what it is but it’s powerful and most’re supposed te be evil, though some o de good persuasion ave been told of.”

“How do you know this one isn’t good?” asked Alviss staring at the stone warily. “And even then if I can’t release it how’s it supposed to help me?”

“Fer da first question I dun know if it’s evil but it was sealed so that might mean sumtin.” said the Cyclops yawning before continuing. “And fer tha second question I dunno but tha guy who gave it at me said it was sumtin that’d keep the wearer safe take tha as ya will.” saying this the Cyclops slowly stood and began to walk off down the street. “I ope it works!” he called over his shoulder. “And by the way my names She-lon.”

Ignoring the Cyclops totally Alviss simply stared at the stone for a few seconds before walking back towards his home. ‘What a liar.’ he thought looking at the retreating form of Shen-lon over his shoulder. ‘Like this thing will actually do something or has a demon. I might be able to buy next weeks food with it though.’ On that thought he placed the stone in his pocket and began home forgetting all the problems of the past week and not once noticing that Shen-lon had transformed from a Cyclops into a dove and flown away.

-

“Hey did you here that Chakin district was destroyed yesterday?” a young girl asled her friend as they passed Alviss in the street the next day as he headed towards the market to sell the stone he had gotten yesterday.

‘So Chakin was destroyed eh?’ thought Alviss as he turned down an alleyway that was a shortcut to the market place. ‘So the utopia of Ring city finally shows that it isn’t so much of the perfect place to live.’

Needless to say Alviss wasn’t fond of the so called utopia of Ring city. How could he be when that was where his sister had died.

‘Well I hope the people suffered a lot.’ he thought grinning to himself before stiffening as another voice entered his head.

‘You’re not a very nice child are you?’ asked the silky voice. ‘It’s not terribly nice to be happy someone died much less be overjoyed at genocide.’

“Who’s there?” asked Alviss spinning around and pulling out a knife. Looking around he only saw the girls from before staring at him strangely. ‘It couldn’t have been them.’ he thought replacing the knife in his sleeve. ‘That voice belonged to a man.’

‘Genderless actually.’ continued the voice snickering. ‘And don’t bother looking for me in the street, you won’t find me.’

“Who are you and were are you?” asked Alviss glaring at all the people in the street around him earning him more stares.

‘I’m not telling you my name because you’re kinda rude.’ said the voice obviously trying to contain laughter. ‘I mean common courtesy states you should always give your name first Alviss.’

“I don’t know how you know my name or why you want me to tell it to you even though you know it but if you don’t’ show yourself right now I am going to hunt you down and kill you!” the infuriated youth said brandishing two knives, which in turn caused most of the occupants of the street to flee.

“But I thought we were friends.” said someone behind him giggling. “But if you’re going to kill me then I just can’t be in a relationship with you anymore.”

Turning around swiftly only to find himself face to face with the black haired blue eyed form of his former girlfriend Permin Tethler. “We aren’t friends.” he said replacing the blades in his sleeves ignoring the sound of laughter that seemed to echo through his mind at the moment. “I told you that when you ‘found someone better’.” he added with a glare.

“No you said you hated me.” she said grinning widely causing Alviss to wonder why the hell everyone was so damn happy. “You said nothing about us not being friends.”

Rolling his eyes Alviss pushed hurriedly past the girl and continued on towards the market place calling to her over his shoulder as he went. “I thought I went with the I hate you damn guts part.”

Quickly, much to his chagrin, she caught up with him and latched onto his arm. “Don’t be like that she whined. “Surely you can’t be that mad.”

“No not at all.” he said his voice a waterfall of sarcasm. “I only said it because I want to use the ever so useful reverse psychology on you. This of course will make you become infatuated with me and from there I will proceed to complete my set task in the world of getting into a member of the opposite sex’s pants.” Walking on he froze as the laughter in his head became much louder and scarier. “Who in the hell is laughing?!” he yelled spinning around angrily only to find he was once again gaining stares.

“No one’s laughing.” said Permin looking at him oddly. “But they will be if you keep acting like this, either that or they’ll arrest you.”

“Piss off Permin.” said Alviss walking off angrily. “I don’t have time to mess with a bitch like you today I gotta go sell this…Hey where’d it go!?” he yelled searching his pocket for his meal ticket only to find it had disappeared.

“What you mean this?” asked Permin haughtily while she held up HIS stone. “I wonder what it is, it sure is pretty.” So saying she quickly tossed it back to him catching him off guard.

Off guard enough that he missed catching it and it fell to the ground.

Where it broke.

“Shit now look what you did you bitch!” yelled Alviss lunging at the girl. “That was my god damn meal ticket! Now what the hell am I supposed to eat? Do you expect me to starve?”

“No need to get so worked up about it!” she yelled running away. “I’ll pay for your meals if that helps you.”

“It’s the damn principle of the thing, and as if I‘d accept a handout from a rich bitch like you!” the infuriated boy yelled hurling a dagger at her only to have it fly straight up in the air as the ground shook below him knocking him over. “Damn!” he yelled as the dagger flew right back down at him not giving the time he needed to dodge the sure to be fatal blow.

Luckily for him the dagger landed a few seconds after he had disappeared.

-

“Well that was close.” laughed a giant of a creature as it dropped Alviss unceremoniously onto the ground. “Almost forgot to save you from the ‘dark fate that doth await you’!” the huge figure said as Alviss stared in awe at it.

After a few seconds the figure frowned and waved it’s hand in front of Alviss’s face. “You Ho! Anyone at the controls in there?”

“You’re purple.” was the only thing the stunned boy could get out.

And indeed the creature was purple. To be exact it was a twelve foot tall purple giant wearing a lion cloth with two huge cleavers strapped to it’s back.

“So I am.” said the creature doing something that Alviss assumed was the equivalent of a smile for it ,it had no mouth. “And I have a name as well it’s Gertire of the Endless Nightmare.”

“What are you?” asked Alviss nervously scooting away. “Are you a Slaten?”

“ME a blue skin?!” Roared the beast angrily brandishing a cleaver at the terrified boy. “I think not! I am of the greater race, the Derf-Shola! We are the lords of the dark and pain where those pathetic Slaten claim that they are the gods of light and peace! Truly if that sounds bad it’s not our fault we drew lots and it ended up wrong!”

“Never mind.” said Alviss hoping to change the subject before that monstrous cleaver ended up inside him. “Why did you save me and why did you bring me here?”

“Frankly it was on the bosses orders.” said Gretire sheathing the weapon. “You know the Demi-god you released from the stone. By the way he said you were a funny human and that you need to work on your manners.”

‘So the voice in my head was a Demi-god and I helped him out of a stone.’ thought Alviss sitting down in an attempt to process the information. “Any chance I’m dreaming?” he asked the large creature.

Suddenly a giant hand smashed him into the ground with so much force he could hear his bones creak under the pressure. “You still here?” asked Gretire calmly.

“What the hell did you hit me for?” yelled Alviss. “I could have died under that much force!”

“Guess it’s real then.” muttered Gretire. “Well whatever, I’m supposed to send you back now so stay out of trouble okay.” suddenly the Derf-Shola pulled the boy close and whispered in the boys ear, something that felt like being near a sewer pipe as it explodes. “I hear that the boss has a plan for you latter so don’t’ die just yet alright?”

“Eh?” asked Alviss before the larger figure bashed him across the head again.

“Sweet dreams bro, hope you enjoy the fun times that are coming your way.”
-

“Urgh my head.” moaned Alviss sitting up and looking around. Only to find himself in a large cavern.

A large cavern crawling with trolls.

Very hungry trolls.

This was the beginning of a set of events that would change young Alviss Periton forever.

Maybe.

If he made it out alive